Visualizing wait times

winstongator

Original Poster
Rock-n-RollerCoaster average posted wait times by day. Each graph is a year, x-axis is the day of the year.
RnRC_1.png

Things you can see:
  • Wait times for much of 2018 were high, especially early in the year
  • Early in the year has gotten longer lines than the summer
  • You can see that August has been slow for a while, with little change
  • September and October have gotten longer waits.
  • It's easy to spot President's day weekend and spring break times, as well as Thanksgiving.

Touringplans & @lentesta published historical wait-time data for select rides. The data is in .csv format and includes posted wait times and actual measured wait times. The rides they have data on are:
https://touringplans.com/walt-disney-world/crowd-calendar#DataSets

More graphs:

Pirates_1.png

SSE.png

Soarin_1.png

For Soarin, you can see waits down pretty dramatically in 2017/8. When did the 3rd bay open? The straight magenta section is my holding the data when the ride was closed. That was a design decision in the program. I could just as easily zero it out, but for shorter down-times, it makes the data noisier.

EE_1.png

TSM_1.png

My first graphs were pretty noisy day-to-day, and it became hard to see what was going on. I played with number of days to average, and settled on 7. You see some variation for specific weekend days, but you definitely see long weekends in there.

To do’s: Thicker lines & bigger fonts. Make a subroutine program so that I can run all of the files at once in a batch. Fix the program to accommodate new rides. Paramaterize the averaging over # of days function.

Has anyone else looked at this data? What else would you want to see done with it? This was my entry into Python programming, something I have had on my to-do list for 4+ years. My programming skills are weak as is my knowledge of Python syntax. With fun datasets like these, I am a lot more motivated to play with it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom