Visiting Universal Studios - how early should I plan?

DISR

I won't pretend to be an expert on the Universal Resorts, but I will say you can discount location as a major consideration. Yes, some are slightly more convenient, but the overall area is much more compact than Disney. You can walk to anything there without a whole lot of difficulty. I'd opt for the cheapest one that had Express Pass.

Last edited:

Disneyhead'71

Chances are we will stay at one of the Deluxe resorts, and it looks like the Express pass is included!
Portofino Bay is the quietest. It also the nicest and most beautiful. It has a boat to the parks/CityWalk. And is about a 10 min. walk if you don't want to take the boat. It comes with express passes for each member of your party for each day of your stay including check in and check out days. There are 3 pools. A family pool with a nice water slide and hot tub. A quiet pool. And an adults only pool. It also has one of my favorite restaurants at UOR (Universal Orlando Resort) Mama Della's is awesome. Classic Italian and they have roaming musicians. There is also a nice pizza/sandwich shop that also has sundries and grab and go snacks called Sal's. There is also a Signature Restaurant called BiCE that is pretty high end. It is very nice and one of the most expensive at Universal. We go there for birthdays and such.

Portofino Bay is my favorite resort in all of Orlando.

Last edited:

lebeau

Portofino Bay is my favorite resort in all of Orlando.

Seconded. The other deluxes are all very nice and I can certainly see why someone might prefer Royal Pacific or Hard Rock. There is not a bad choice here. But for my family, Portofino edges out every other hotel in Orlando.

There's also a very nice gelato shop, several bars including a pool bar, a boce ball court, a nightly opera singer, and large rooms with bathrooms bigger than some people's apartments. If you're looking for someplace to relax and unwind, you won't find a better hotel in town that Portofino Bay.

mdcpr

Original Poster
The quietest one is Portofino Bay. It's the furthest from the parks (but not too far) and the most secluded. The Italian theme is as close to a European vacation as you can find in central Florida. Great dining options and a terrific pool. Highly recommended.
Sounds like my type of hotel.

Tom Morrow

I know a family that spent a week at Universal Orlando from Christmas to New Years. They commented that the Universal staff exhibit poor guest service and are unfriendly.
On average Universal's guest service is below WDW's, but still better than most other theme parks. There are some great Universal TM's and some not-so-great Disney CM's. Disney and Universal are some of the only parks that care strongly about efficient operations. In most regional theme parks, or SeaWorld and Busch Gardens, you will find frustratingly slow operations.

Jon81uk

That has not been our experience. Not remotely. I have received equal service (good, great and not-so-good) at both resorts.

It's possible to blow through the highlights in a day, but I don't recommend it. Two days will give you time to see all the essentials without making yourselves miserable. I would personally recommend at least three days to give yourselves some time to explore. Some people complain that there's not much to do at Universal. They don't like simulators or coasters or whatever. I find that these people tend to be the ones who run from one ride to the next without taking the time to look around. For my money, there are a lot more hidden treasures to be discovered at Universal than there are at Disney. That's especially true in the HP lands and I'm not even a Potter fan.

ExpressPass and time of year will impact your wait times obviously. Even with EP, you can encounter some waits at busy times. The rule of thumb is EP will cut your wait in half. So if Minion Mayhem has an hour long line, you may wait for a half hour even with EP (we've never had more than a 20 minute wait but it's possible). If the wait for a ride seems too long, move on. Wait times fluctuate wildly. Keep an eye on the app. Sometimes the crowds will clear out and suddenly even the HP rides will have short lines (except Hagrid).

You'll hear people say that Universal is a two-day resort but it's all in how you do it. We like to stay for an entire week! We'll spend a lot of time at the hotel since getting to and from the parks is so easy. We also spend a day at Volcano Bay which is terrific. We're not even water park people, but it's a great way to mix things up. An entire week makes for a very leisurely pace which won't be for everyone. For most people, I'd recommend somewhere between 2-4 park days.

I am going to share my most recent trip reports if you want some light reading.

I've never used Express Pass, but we do visit in September and October and find the crowds to be low enough that we can do pretty much everything in both parks across two days. So for most people 2 days with express pass should be plenty or maybe 3 days without.
If you want to fill a week and you like rollercoasters then SeaWorld (and potentially Busch Gardens) are worth a look, the coaster Mako at SeaWorld is a lot of fun.

Minnesota disney fan

Which Deluxe do you recommend? I'm looking for the quietest one.
We have only stayed at Royal Pacific Resort, because I love the tropical atmosphere! It is quiet and beautiful, and the staff is amazing. I have never had such great service as at RPR. The boat ride to the parks is nice too. We don't swim but the pool looked nice. Hope this helps.
Portifino Bay looks lovely too, but the Italian atmosphere is not what we are looking for. I do want to try Mama Rosa's Restaurant!

mellyf

We have only stayed at Royal Pacific Resort, because I love the tropical atmosphere! It is quiet and beautiful, and the staff is amazing. I have never had such great service as at RPR. The boat ride to the parks is nice too. We don't swim but the pool looked nice. Hope this helps.
Portifino Bay looks lovely too, but the Italian atmosphere is not what we are looking for. I do want to try Mama Rosa's Restaurant!

We loved Royal Pacific as well. I agree that the staff was amazing... Very friendly and helpful. We also loved walking to the parks in the morning. That was one of the things I ended up loving about Universal was being able to walk between the parks and City Walk. We visited Portofino one day on our first trip and it was beautiful, but we really like RP.

JillC LI

The main planning to do at Uni is to pick a relatively less crowded time of year, stay on property so you can get the EPs and early entry, and then take advantage of the early entry if you want to experience the Harry Potter rides. As for the rest, research what attractions appeal to you in advance but you don't really need a touring plan other than knowing what is in each park that you want to do.

Oh and we love RPR and the Three Broomsticks restaurant.

JoeCamel

The main planning to do at Uni is to pick a relatively less crowded time of year, stay on property so you can get the EPs and early entry, and then take advantage of the early entry if you want to experience the Harry Potter rides. As for the rest, research what attractions appeal to you in advance but you don't really need a touring plan other than knowing what is in each park that you want to do.

Oh and we love RPR and the Three Broomsticks restaurant.
If you have EP you don't need early entry for the potter rides. Go anytime, it will be a year before Hagrid's gets EP but it isn't open for early entry usually and the wait time is less later in the day at present.

Except for today, I don't think it will open at all. Even with that big coat Hagrid doesn't like the cold apparently.

OG Runner

Which Deluxe do you recommend? I'm looking for the quietest one.

I would also recommend the Portofino. The boat ride to the parks is treat in and of itself. Having the Express Pass built
in is also great. I went last May and pretty much went on just about every ride with little to no wait. I am a big Disney fan
but you can't beat the Express Pass. If I were more of a roller coaster fan, I am sure Universal would be my favorite park.
All in all the crowds are a not as bad. I must warn you though, Fast and Furious will coast you a few brain cells. It is that bad.

lebeau

If you have EP you don't need early entry for the potter rides. Go anytime, it will be a year before Hagrid's gets EP but it isn't open for early entry usually and the wait time is less later in the day at present.

Except for today, I don't think it will open at all. Even with that big *** coat Hagrid doesn't like the cold apparently.

This is true although EPA is a nice time for spell-casting. If you're up. I wouldn't make a point of setting an alarm or anything.

Mike730

Another recommendation for Portofino Bay here. We like Wilderness lodge and Beach Club at Disney. We stay at Portofino every time at Universal. We've done many split stay vacations: 4 nights at Universal, 4 nights in Disney. We really enjoy this.

With express pass, 3 days is definitely enough to experience nearly everything at the two parks when we go in August, with room left over for relaxing at the pool. The 4th day we hit Volcano Bay, which we enjoy about as much as Typhoon Lagoon. The planning experience is much more relaxing than Disney.

My Universal planning consisted of booking a dinner at Mythos and one or two other table service places and that's it. We like to get to the parks early, so that wasn't an issue for us regardless. I definitely recommend getting to Volcano Bay at opening if that's something you want to do, so plan accordingly. There are upcharge cabins/chairs up to wazoo there, but the price seemed insane to us.

That being said, even though the planning and pacing of our days seem to be more relaxed at Universal, the park experience as a whole probably is not. Universal has significantly more "in your face' themeing and entertainment than Disney (in our experience), down to the volume level of the background music and aggression of the rides.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom