Visiting the parks in July

Minnie1986

Six days... in the south Florida sun... in July...lord help me! I've made peace with the fact that it's going to be hot and crowded🥵, but does anyone have any tips and/or tricks for managing everything as best as possible. It will be me, my niece (12), and possibly my goddaughter (15).

Weather_Lady

Here are my tips, as someone who's been to WDW twice for week-long visits in mid-to-late August (including this year, with "real feels" of 115 degrees in the middle of the day):

Go to the parks early, leave at lunchtime, take a refreshing siesta/shower/swim back at your hotel, and come back around dinnertime, when temperatures start to go down.

Pack lightweight, moisture-wicking clothing, in styles and fabrics designed for athletic pursuits or sports (e.g., golf, hiking, tennis). It dries quickly, and tends to pack like a dream since it's all thin and doesn't wrinkle. In the same vein, wear comfortable, well-broken in shoes, with at least one pair of quick-dry hiking sandals or mesh sneakers to put on if it's expected to rain. Bring extra shirts and socks, so you can change into fresh ones after your mid-day break.

Plan your day so you're visiting rides with outdoor queues early in the morning, or late at night. The rest of the day, you should just be hopping from one air-conditioned space to the next. Include frequent rest breaks, and stop at CS locations for free iced water, throughout the day. (We prefer not to carry heavy water bottles around with us in the heat, but that's an option, too.) Hydration powders that add electrolytes and flavoring (sold at most grocery stores, in boxes of single-serve packets) are a great option to improve the taste, if you're not a fan of Florida tap water.

Pack light when you head out to the parks: your park bag should be small, breathable, lightweight, and able to be worn under your rain poncho if needed.

Use cooling towels and/or fans, whatever works for you. Don't forget sunblock, hats, UV-blocking swim covers, and sunglasses.

In case of a downpour or storm, bring breathable lightweight rain ponchos (we like Frog Toggs brand, but there are many on the market) instead of cheap plastic disposables (which are too flimsy if it's windy, and can be very uncomfortable in the heat).

Don't be intimidated if the heat hits you like a ton of bricks your first day or two. You body will take a little time to adjust. You're still going to feel hot: but it will get less bothersome.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

kimberlymautz

Go to the parks early, leave at lunchtime, take a refreshing siesta/shower/swim back at your hotel, and come back around dinnertime, when temperatures start to go down.

Pack lightweight, moisture-wicking clothing, in styles and fabrics designed for athletic pursuits or sports (e.g., golf, hiking, tennis). It packs light, dries quickly, and tends to pack like a dream since it's thin and doesn't wrinkle. In the same vein, wear comfortable, well-broken in shoes, with at least one pair of quick-dry hiking sandals or mesh sneakers to put on if it's expected to rain. Bring extra shirts and socks, so you can change into fresh ones after your mid-day break.

Plan your day so you're visiting rides with outdoor queues early in the morning, or late at night. Include frequent rest breaks, and stop at CS locations for free iced water, throughout the day. (We prefer not to carry heavy water bottles around with us in the heat, but that's an option, too.) Hydration powders that add electrolytes and flavoring (sold at most grocery stores) are a great option to improve the taste, if you're not a fan of Florida tap water.

Pack light: your park bag should be small, breathable, lightweight, and able to be worn under your rain poncho if needed.

Use cooling towels and/or fans, whatever works for you. Don't forget sunblock, hats, UV-blocking swim covers, and sunglasses.

In case of a downpour or storm, bring breathable lightweight rain ponchos (we like Frog Toggs brand, but there are many on the market) instead of cheap plastic disposables (which are too flimsy if it's windy, and can be very uncomfortable in the heat).
All of the above.

We went in September and cooling towels were my best friend. Bring good water bottles because you're going to need to stay hydrated.

Upvote 0

Minnie1986

Original Poster
Here are my tips, as someone who's been to WDW twice for week-long visits in mid-to-late August (including this year, with "real feels" of 115 degrees in the middle of the day):

Pack lightweight, moisture-wicking clothing, in styles and fabrics designed for athletic pursuits or sports (e.g., golf, hiking, tennis). It dries quickly, and tends to pack like a dream since it's all thin and doesn't wrinkle. In the same vein, wear comfortable, well-broken in shoes, with at least one pair of quick-dry hiking sandals or mesh sneakers to put on if it's expected to rain. Bring extra shirts and socks, so you can change into fresh ones after your mid-day break.

Plan your day so you're visiting rides with outdoor queues early in the morning, or late at night. The rest of the day, you should just be hopping from one air-conditioned space to the next. Include frequent rest breaks, and stop at CS locations for free iced water, throughout the day. (We prefer not to carry heavy water bottles around with us in the heat, but that's an option, too.) Hydration powders that add electrolytes and flavoring (sold at most grocery stores) are a great option to improve the taste, if you're not a fan of Florida tap water.

Pack light when you head out to the parks: your park bag should be small, breathable, lightweight, and able to be worn under your rain poncho if needed.

Don't be intimidated if the heat hits you like a ton of bricks your first day or two. You body will take a little time to adjust. You're still going to feel hot: but it will get less bothersome.
Such great info! I wouldn’t think to pack hydration packs (I use them to help after I have a few cocktails🤣). I’m also going to pack my collapsible water bottle and fill it up with ice water from quick service places. Thank you SO much!

Upvote 0

Figgy1

Premium Member
Plan on doing all your indoor shows HOP/AA/3ds during the hottest part of the day also if you do one sit down a day make it a lunch around 1 or 2 and keep that light which will be lighter on your wallet, HYDRATE, HYDRATE, HYDRATE. I love hot weather but dh doesn't and yet we manage to do the parks commando style with my kids because we make sure he's careful and finds A/C between 1ish and 5/6ish, did I mention HYDRATE. Hats are controversial to those in my house dh swears a hat with a brim keeps him cooler ds says they make him sweat I think it comes down to your hair or lack there of it

Upvote 0

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
I'd recommend getting double-walled steel insulated cups with screw-on lids with gasketed straws. I picked up a few 32 ounce versions of them from Aldi (got them on clearance sale , only 2.99 each) and they were simply amazing over the past few weeks in the parks (highs in the low 90's with 74%+ humidity every day). We filled them with ice in the morning prior to departing for the parks and they kept the ice from melting until mid afternoon (we kept one in reserve) and the one we added water to kept itsself cold as well.

Upvote 0

Minnie1986

Original Poster
I'd recommend getting double-walled steel insulated cups with screw-on lids with gasketed straws. I picked up a few 32 ounce versions of them from Aldi (got them on clearance sale , only 2.99 each) and they were simply amazing over the past few weeks in the parks (highs in the low 90's with 74%+ humidity every day). We filled them with ice in the morning prior to departing for the parks and they kept the ice from melting until mid afternoon (we kept one in reserve) and the one we added water to kept itsself cold as well.
Great call on the double insulated cups. I'll be sure to check Target, Amazon, etc. There's an Aldi not too far from me, so I'll check there as well. Thank you!

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom