Visiting the Parks alone...

Merlin

Account Suspended
Original Poster
Have you ever (or how often have you) visited the parks by yourself? I used to go to Disneyland a lot by myself and I found that it was very different experience. Not better or worse, just different. You tend to notice things you wouldn't otherwise pick up on.

I bring this up because I have spent this past year visiting quite a few Six Flags parks by myself and then recently visited DCA and DL alone. Although I was used to the solo DL experience, it was the first time I'd done DCA by myself. And I have to say it gave me an opportunity to find a new appreciation for the place. I'm still critical to some degree (most notably of Paradise Pier), but I did pick up on subtle things I'd never really paid much attention to. When you combine this with what I've noticed at Six Flags this past year, it was a real eye-opener.

For example, I had never really thought about the fact that the Disney parks post cast members at the initial entrance to each attractions line, as well as at various points throughout the line. This may not seem like a big deal, but at Six Flags, you tend to never see an employee until it is time to get on the ride. This hit me when I was getting ready to ride Mulholland Madness and I had a question for one of the cast members as I was first getting in line. I wouldn't have been able to do that at most other parks. What if I was someone who was afraid of fast rides and wanted to find out how scary it was? At other parks I'd have been out of luck. It made me realize that for all of our criticisms (my own included), this is one element that reminds you (in an almost subliminal way) that you're at a Disney park when you're at DCA.

I also had never had an opportunity to explore the Grand Californian and look for the hidden Mickey's (my friends just don't tend to have the patience for that like I do).

Another difference in going alone was that I could stop every minute or so and take pictures without having someone tell me "C'mon, let's go already!" Being a photo buff, that made for a wonderful experience being able to do it at my own pace (I took over 400 pictures on my most recent trip...My friends would have killed me if they'd been with me)!

Has anyone else had similar experiences? Just curious.

orangefan15

I'd have to agree...did Disney World alone a few years back. In some ways its better...you can do what you want, when you want, eat when you want, rest when you want, ect. Its also a great opportunity to meet other people. You tend to be more open to talking to other people when you're alone, than when you're with a group of people. However, I think you miss out on a little of the Disney magic...part of the fun is in seeing friends/family members reactions and sharing the fun and magic with them.

In terms of cast members, I think Disney definitely has Six Flags beat. I've been to numberous Six Flags over the past few years and I've never seen an employee at a ride until I got to the front of the line. People were constantly smoking in line and cutting lines, but there was no around to stop it. Honestly, I left one Six Flags park after a few hours because it was such a bad experience. You can't beat Disney magic!!

Daannzzz

I have done Disneyland a few time alone and DCA a couple times as well as one solo trip to WDW. I do like going alone for many reasons which include no discussion of where to eat, when to eat, when to go back ( or not) to the hotel and the deal with taking pictures. I do alot of video taping and notice that the scenes come out much better when I am not rushing along behind anyone I am with, worrying I am slowing them down. I also feel fine about getting a soda or coffee and people watching.
I am going down next week for 4 days, alone again though I would like to take someone with me. Most of my friends and relatives can't ( or don't want) to go on as many trips to Disney parks as I do.

CalDisney

Hi Merlin!
Tigggrl says you are really Nice:)

I did DL alone for the 1st time 3 months ago
while I was waiting for Tigggrl to get off from work.
I have to say I did have fun I didnt think I would But was Wrong:)
Did you find the Hidden Mickey in the Rugs/Menu`s of the Hotel??

The thing I liked was I could Go ride my favorite ride without having someone Complain saying Again??

It`s a Nice experience But !
I will probably hang out with My Fiance or some good friends Next time I go.
I have been there alot lately
I might go again on Saturday For Candle light.

Mitch:p

Testtrack321

Disney alone is VERY differnt. I found that you can chat with more Disneyfans. You help more people. And you can take advantage of the Single Riders line without a guilty concious. :D

Horizons38

Premium Member
I did Disney world alone twice ( 2 different week ends ) hubby couldn't come, i liked it , Test track was right, it is different and in a way not a bad deal, Epcot is the most fun i thought by myself just walking around munching and listening to the different shows . i wouldn't do it all the time but i think it should be tried at least one time ( if at all possible , i understand that when you have kids it's impossible ) !:D

Merlin

Account Suspended
Original Poster
Originally posted by CalDisney
Hi Merlin!
Tigggrl says you are really Nice:)

Thanks CalDisney! My warped sense of humor can sometimes be taken a little too seriously on these postings, so it was nice to meet someone face to face. As you might well imagine, she had pretty positive things to say about YOU too <wink wink>. Actually, I think I saw you guys at DL later in the evening over by Snow White's Grotto. I was taking some pictures and I almost went over to say "Hi" but thought I might spoil the romantic moment (Hands down the most romantic spot in all of Disneyland...especially at night)!

I did DL alone for the 1st time 3 months ago
while I was waiting for Tigggrl to get off from work.
I have to say I did have fun I didnt think I would But was Wrong:)
Did you find the Hidden Mickey in the Rugs/Menu`s of the Hotel??

I didn't see the one on the menu's. Now you've given me a new quest to pursue. I did see the one on the rug hanging behind the front desk as well as the one on the front of the check-in counter. Also the one on the grandfather clock and the one on the room key (a hotel cast member gave me a room key to take as a souvenir). I also heard there was one by the kid's pool, but I couldn't find that one.

Merlin

Account Suspended
Original Poster
Originally posted by Testtrack321
Disney alone is VERY differnt. I found that you can chat with more Disneyfans. You help more people. And you can take advantage of the Single Riders line without a guilty concious. :D

YES!! The single riders line is definitely a nice perk. That reduced my wait significantly on both Soarin' Over California and Mulholland Madness. I wish they would incorporate this in the other Disney parks.

Merlin

Account Suspended
Original Poster
Originally posted by orangefan15

In terms of cast members, I think Disney definitely has Six Flags beat. I've been to numberous Six Flags over the past few years and I've never seen an employee at a ride until I got to the front of the line. People were constantly smoking in line and cutting lines, but there was no around to stop it. Honestly, I left one Six Flags park after a few hours because it was such a bad experience. You can't beat Disney magic!!

Actually, on my return from my recent solo trip to the DLR, I stopped at Six Flags Magic Mountain for one final visit before my pass expires. I couldn't believe how many people I saw cutting in line there! I've never seen that at a Disney park.

Merlin

Account Suspended
Original Poster
Originally posted by Horizons38
I did Disney world alone twice ( 2 different week ends ) hubby couldn't come, i liked it , Test track was right, it is different and in a way not a bad deal, Epcot is the most fun i thought by myself just walking around munching and listening to the different shows . i wouldn't do it all the time but i think it should be tried at least one time ( if at all possible , i understand that when you have kids it's impossible ) !:D

I did WDW by myself a few years back. I was actually in Fort Lauderdale doing some training and was supposed to meet some co-workers at WDW. They called me to cancel because they heard a storm was approaching. I didn't care, and proceeded to make the 4 hour drive to Orlando and spent the night at Caribbean Beach. The following day, it was wet and cold all day but I had a blast! I rode Splash Mountain multiple times and didn't care because I was drenched anyway. It amazes me how rainy weather keeps people away. In my opinion, that's the best time to go! Most of the attractions are indoors and there are no crowds! Anyway, the best part of that trip was calling my friends in California on my cell phone and saying, "Guess where I am?" just as the MK fireworks were about to start.

CalDisney

Originally posted by Merlin
Thanks CalDisney! My warped sense of humor can sometimes be taken a little too seriously on these postings, so it was nice to meet someone face to face. As you might well imagine, she had pretty positive things to say about YOU too <wink wink>. Actually, I think I saw you guys at DL later in the evening over by Snow White's Grotto. I was taking some pictures and I almost went over to say "Hi" but thought I might spoil the romantic moment (Hands down the most romantic spot in all of Disneyland...especially at night)!

Ahh!! You should of come over we were just tossing Pennies in and making a wish.
I would of liked to meet you:)

BTW you are correct Great Place;)

I didn't see the one on the menu's. Now you've given me a new quest to pursue. I did see the one on the rug hanging behind the front desk as well as the one on the front of the check-in counter. Also the one on the grandfather clock and the one on the room key (a hotel cast member gave me a room key to take as a souvenir). I also heard there was one by the kid's pool, but I couldn't find that one.

Wow!! there are that many??
Now I have to go back and search
when I meant the rug.. I meant where it says the Grand Californian where you walk in.:)

Lhriangel

I've done different WDW parks alone when I was working there. Usually Epcot though. I actually like Epcot alone because I LOVE to just look in the shops without someone saying "lets go" .... also I like being able to go to France and not feel guilty about anyone watching me eat desert instead of dinner ;).

I haven't done Disneyland or DCA alone. Bar the last time I went to DCA which was with wdw cast members here recruiting for the WDWCP I haven't gone without a boyfriend. I wouldn't mind doing it alone though... cause when I'm with other people I always feel bad about asking them to do something I want to do cause I feel like i'm ruining THIER time. I just have to wait till I get a car to do DL alone... although I might be going next week with a few friends that love disney which is always fun...

CalDisney

Hi Angel
I have to agree with your quote too:when I'm with other people I always feel bad about asking them to do something I want to do cause I feel like i'm ruining THIER time.

I feel the same way
Hope you have fun there next week/Say Hi to Perry at the front of the Castle
he`s the guy who`s always drawing there:)

Merlin

Account Suspended
Original Poster
Wow!! there are that many??
Now I have to go back and search
when I meant the rug.. I meant where it says the Grand Californian where you walk in.:)

Hmmmm...Now I guess I have to go back too! I didn't know about that one.

I took some pictures of the other ones. They didn't come out that great (bad lighting), but I'll post them.

Merlin

Account Suspended
Original Poster
okay!!
Hey!! maybe we should meet at the resorts And find the other Mickey`s:)

Good idea! I'll let you know the next time I am heading down that way (hopefully not too long after the first of the year)!

blm07

One good thing about being alone in the parks is when you are recording something, nobody is near you that breaks the #1 Golden Rule of recording: NO talking! lol I hate it when someone talks right near me while I'm recording.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom