Visit Shanghai DL without China smartphone?

made in china

Original Poster
We're in Shanghai right now, want to visit DL here, but we're using US Android smartphones, hopping around on free WiFi.

Trying to register my SHDL app, it wants to send a confirmation code via SMS to my phone number, well, that's not gonna work for us.

I'm under the impression that I need the app to access certain benefits such as Premier Access (I think that's what it's called).

If I can't use my smartphone here, can I still buy special passes at the ticket booth?

PiratesMansion

Sorry that I didn't see this before your trip, but seeing as you've been to China frequently and may come back...

The main piece of advice I saw before I went was to rent a Chinese SIM card. I chose not to do this, but I did rent a pocket MiFi when I arrived at the airport. With the MiFi, my phone was connected to Chinese networks, and so I was able to use all of the functions of the app on my phone with no hassle or hiccups. I don't believe I would have been able to do that without the MiFi.

made in china

Original Poster
I was able to borrow some Chinese smartphones.
You have a great suggestion. I used to have my own Chinese SIM, that is often the best way to go. Just make sure your phone can handle a SIM card from a different provider.

Heads up to American visitors: Google services don't work in China, so either get a VPN or use BaiDu

Clyde Birdbrain

Unknown Member
The main piece of advice I saw before I went was to rent a Chinese SIM card. I chose not to do this, but I did rent a pocket MiFi when I arrived at the airport. With the MiFi, my phone was connected to Chinese networks, and so I was able to use all of the functions of the app on my phone with no hassle or hiccups. I don't believe I would have been able to do that without the MiFi.

We will be traveling to China for the first time in September and all the advice I have read is to get a Chinese SIM card at the airport, from either China Mobile or China Unicorm. I hadn't heard of MiFi.

MiFi looks very expensive compared to getting a SIM for my own iPhone.

@made in china above says that he needed to send an SMS to activate the SHDL app. Would that still work with MiFi, as you'll still be using a foreign phone? Were you able to use the SHDL app with your MiFi device?

PiratesMansion

We will be traveling to China for the first time in September and all the advice I have read is to get a Chinese SIM card at the airport, from either China Mobile or China Unicorm. I hadn't heard of MiFi.

@made in china above says that he needed to send an SMS to activate the SHDL app. Would that still work with MiFi, as you'll still be using a foreign phone? Were you able to use the SHDL app with your MiFi device?
Yes, I could use the app with MiFi. Probably up to you which way is better, but I got a MiFi cheaply through Klook, so you may consider looking into that. But yes, I saw the SIM card recommendation a lot too.

made in china

Original Poster

I would assume that the MiFi is a WiFi hotspot? If so, I doubt it would have helped me, as I couldn't activate the app on my Smartphone because it wants to send an SMS which is through your phone number. I think you can activate your app in USA, with an activated app you will be able to log onto Disney WiFi.
However, I'd just get a Chinese SIM and call it good. I have used both CM and CU and they are both good, just get one that gives you what you want for a good deal.

And, BTW, if you use BaiDu, be prepared to be reminded of how great Xi Jin Ping is and how bad Japan is! Every time I used Bai Du, that would be pinned up top, in ENGLISH even! These guys are so blatant in their propaganda! 🤣

Buried20KLeague

We also got a Mifi and it worked very well for 4 devices, and was inexpensive.

We also used a VPN service for a month to get around any other restrictions.

We were able to use the SDL app completely fine, no issues.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom