News VISIT FLORIDA Research report highlights dramatic reduction in visitors to Florida

Lilofan

I get a kick out of Frontier airlines. It has had a bad rap since its creation. I remember in the late 60's we referred to Frontier as Tree Top Airlines. Yet, it is still in business after all these years. Something I can't explain, but then again I have never researched it. The cheap flight mentioned earlier reminded me of Peoples Express in the 80's. No reservations, no meals or snacks, first come first served seating, you didn't even pay until the plane was in flight. I often wondered what happened if the person didn't have the money when they were in route. The Pilots were cowboys. I took one once from Florida to Vermont and on the way the pilot pointed out that we were heading for a huge storm cloud straight ahead. We could actually see it out the windows. He just warned us that his plan was to fly up over it. It was like he waited until the last minute and put the pedal to the metal and quickly shot up and over the top of the cloud bank. I never went on People's again. But, it was about $30.00 from Florida to Vermont. (if you made it) Just kidding I can't remember any problems, safety wise, with People's, at least that I heard about.
I took a American Airlines propeller plane that seated around 25 and 2 pilots. I took it from Newport Beach CA to LAX. That plane ride was pure hell. The vibration of the plane was felt on your butt seated in. It was hard to talk because of the intense vibration. Luckily it was only a flight that lasted around 20 min.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I took a American Airlines propeller plane that seated around 25 and 2 pilots. I took it from Newport Beach CA to LAX. That plane ride was pure hell. The vibration of the plane was felt on your butt seated in. It was hard to talk because of the intense vibration. Luckily it was only a flight that lasted around 20 min.
I took a similar plane (also AA) from Miami to Naples. It was so small they actually took a look at the passengers before we boarded and then made us switch seats based on size to try to even out the weight. It was my first time ever going to the gulf coast of FL and there were no direct flights to Naples since it’s a tiny airport but once I realized how short the drive was from the East coast I never did that again, just rented a car and drove.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
It was certainly lost for me. One week from today will mark the last day of my trip to DLR and CA last summer. It will be the first time in my adult life that I’ve gone 365 days without going away on a vacation of some sort :( When this all blows over I have some serious fun to make up :)
Weird...I was there the 13-16 last year

Miss Bella

Not really...you are completely oversimplifying that.

But that’s not the question. What will it be like...for US (only people that frankly matter) on the other side? That’s a much more complex issue.
One I know the pp cancelled their trip along with many others on this thread. Hopefully they will feel comfortable going at some point in the future.

Anyway I thought it was great. The best WDW trip in years actually. As someone who vacations three or four times a year I think I appreciated this vacation more than I’ve appreciated a vacation in a while. I have no plans to go back for at least two years. I have other things planned and I’m happy to put Disney in the rear view mirror for a while. Im really happy I took my trip.

As far what Disney will be like for us on the other side. I have no idea. think I that’s all pretty subjective. It is what you make of it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Goofyernmost

What I mean is normal seasonal illnesses will trigger covid concerns and limit travel...regardless if it’s justified
Sorry, I didn't make my thought clear. I just was waxing on about how even though we always knew there was a flu season it never occurred to us to care. If you got the flu you coughed your way through it and went on with life. This one, of course, is far more serious and stronger but it will take a few years to ever get back to feeling secure when the word flu comes up. Like after 911 there were a lot of people that took a long time to fly again. So basically you mean the same thing that I did.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
One I know the pp cancelled their trip along with many others on this thread. Hopefully they will feel comfortable going at some point in the future.

Anyway I thought it was great. The best WDW trip in years actually. As someone who vacations three or four times a year I think I appreciated this vacation more than I’ve appreciated a vacation in a while. I have no plans to go back for at least two years. I have other things planned and I’m happy to put Disney in the rear view mirror for a while. Im really happy I took my trip.

As far what Disney will be like for us on the other side. I have no idea. think I that’s all pretty subjective. It is what you make of it.

I probably would have shared this sentiment...except for the heat. It’s not comfortable in the first place and I need no complication of that.

But the problem is I wasn’t in a position to go to Florida and back and be socially conscious. And I can never dismiss that. It’s not in me. Just how it is/was where I’m at.

Last edited by a moderator:

lentesta

Premium Member
There is a function in the touring plans app where it allows you to rate how the parks "feel." I also will note that all of the days are rated as a "1" for my trip which ends this Saturday. IMO there seems to be a disconnect from what is clearly a massive decline in visitors, and the real "feel" of the parks. I would think a "1" would be walk-ons. But if I had to rate the parks I would rate DAK this past Saturday as a 4 or 5. So, while I would absolutely recommend to anyone, based on my experience, to come down because I feel it is safe, the value proposition is not what I expected. I think it is worst since there are significant lines and guests at times. Maybe @lentesta can shine some light on the subject.

I’ll check!

Goofyernmost

In 1967 I went on a college sponsored tour of a few countries in Europe. I think I calculated at least 8 different flights as we hopped to different cities in Europe over a two week period. All were pretty much uneventful except for one from Venice to Rome. Even though it was 1967 we were put on a DC-3 which was one of the most dependable and earliest passenger planes. The short shuttle from Venice to Rome didn't require a big new plane. My father had been an airplane mechanic in WWII and because of that we never flew anyplace. This was my first experience flying. I didn't know what to expect and I thought that all planes were now jet powered. DC-3's were gas prop planes. Because of that they were not very fast and didn't have anywhere near the altitude that jets achieved. Anyway we hit what we called an air pocket (I think it was really known as a down draft). The plane felt like it dropped 1000 feet, but probably not even close to that. My seat was on the in the same area as the wing and when they once again achieved lift that wing looked like it was going to bend up and snap. It didn't, of course, but DC-3 were old even then. Scared the daylights out of everyone.

That was one of two different experiences. The flight from Paris to London was a very short hop and we were in a jet, but one I had never seen laid out like it was. Half the seats faced forward and half backwards. I chose a forward facing seat. Anyone who has flown know the experience of landing. There is a slow down of the plane as it makes its approach and then most of the time makes a nice soft landing before stopping. During this time they worried more about stall outs if they went to slow so just before hitting the runway, they would give it full throttle, touch down and lower the flaps, reverse thrust the engines and hit the brakes. Those of us that were facing forward where bent over forward with the seat belt cutting through our abdomens and those that were fortunate enough to be flying backwards were just pushed comfortably into the back of their seat. Wildest landing I ever experienced.

Last edited:

Miss Bella

I probably would have shared this sentiment...except for the heat. It’s not comfortable in the first place and I need no complication of that.

But the problem is I wasn’t in a position to go to Florida and back and be socially conscious. And I can never dismiss that. It’s not in me. Just how it is/was where I’m at.
When I do return it won't be in August. I went in June last time and it rained a lot which made it tolerable. We had very little rain which I wasn't expecting. April is my favorite month to go that's when we had originally planned.

eliza61nyc

I'm in jersey and a lot of people I know are starting to slowly go back. Most have trips planned during the school year. I also think how badly murphy handled the covid stuff is making people spend money else where. I have family that canceled jersey shore trips and are spending that money at disney. Which believe it or not is comparably priced esp now that flights are so cheap
wow, I just came back from 10 days at OCNJ and no one is even remotely thinking of going down south to disney or anywhere else in florida. My job just announced that if we decide to go to florida we must quarantine for 2 weeks without pay. ouch. every person i know has cancelled their vacation

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
wow, I just came back from 10 days at OCNJ and no one is even remotely thinking of going down south to disney or anywhere else in florida. My job just announced that if we decide to go to florida we must quarantine for 2 weeks without pay. ouch. every person i know has cancelled their vacation
Yeah...it’s been said hundreds of times...

“We ain’t playing”

Miss Bella

I heard a lot of NYC\NJ accents at WdW this past week.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom