Virgin Voyages

Sans Souci

Original Poster
I know we're all ride or die DCL here. But I also know some of you here have branched out to other cruise lines. I was wondering if anyone has tried Virgin? I keep looking at them and I have seen some videos on YouTube, but I wanted opinions from DCL fans.

Did you like it?
Would you go again?
If you didn't like it, why?
Those sorts of questions.

Thanks.

ChuckElias

I haven't been. But I know some travel agents personally who have really liked it. I'm not sure it's for me, personally. I may try it, but I've heard some things that make me think I'm not "hip" enough for the atmosphere. (As evidenced by the fact that I just used the word "hip".) I do not like big tattoo art ; I do not like dance battles; I just don't think I'm the demographic. But I've heard so many other good things (especially about the food) that I may give in and try it in the next couple years.

Maelstrom Troll

Apparently Virgin just canceled the launch of their latest ship and the reimbursement for those booked is kind of a joke. The cruise law page thinks I’ve been made it may be running on funds.

lostpro9het

I know we're all ride or die DCL here. But I also know some of you here have branched out to other cruise lines. I was wondering if anyone has tried Virgin? I keep looking at them and I have seen some videos on YouTube, but I wanted opinions from DCL fans.

Did you like it?
Would you go again?
If you didn't like it, why?
Those sorts of questions.

Thanks.
Did a 5-nighter last fall.
Did we like it?
It was ok but could be easily improved.

Would you go again?
Yes if they had an “all inclusive” option and the price was comparable to Celebrity.

If you didn’t like it, why?
The lone pool is ridiculously small. The entertainment was weakest when compared to NCL, Royal, Celebrity, and DCL. This took us by surprise given the Virgin branding. They also spent too much focus on health and fitness rather than leisure and entertainment. I also felt like their CMs were too pretentious during the activities they did provide.

Pros:
Without a doubt the BEST food on a ship we’ve ever experienced. Their included dining rooms even beat out Palo and Remy, IMO. Also, the ship is beautiful inside and out. Bimini is a beautiful beach. Oh, and NO KIDS!!!

Again, I wish they had an open bar option because their food is so amazing that I could look past the stupidly small pool.

TLDR:
If you like awesome food and like paying by the drink while not being entertained and swimming in a kiddy pool then this is for you.

Sans Souci

Original Poster
Did a 5-nighter last fall.
Did we like it?
It was ok but could be easily improved.

Would you go again?
Yes if they had an “all inclusive” option and the price was comparable to Celebrity.

If you didn’t like it, why?
The lone pool is ridiculously small. The entertainment was weakest when compared to NCL, Royal, Celebrity, and DCL. This took us by surprise given the Virgin branding. They also spent too much focus on health and fitness rather than leisure and entertainment. I also felt like their CMs were too pretentious during the activities they did provide.

Pros:
Without a doubt the BEST food on a ship we’ve ever experienced. Their included dining rooms even beat out Palo and Remy, IMO. Also, the ship is beautiful inside and out. Bimini is a beautiful beach. Oh, and NO KIDS!!!

Again, I wish they had an open bar option because their food is so amazing that I could look past the stupidly small pool.

TLDR:
If you like awesome food and like paying by the drink while not being entertained and swimming in a kiddy pool then this is for you.
Thank you!

I'd heard great things about the food, too. I heard about the pool, too. I don't know what they were thinking? I've been thinking of booking, because I get these offers all the time, but there's stuff I see on YouTube videos that leaves me thinking "eh."

Sans Souci

Original Poster
I haven't been. But I know some travel agents personally who have really liked it. I'm not sure it's for me, personally. I may try it, but I've heard some things that make me think I'm not "hip" enough for the atmosphere. (As evidenced by the fact that I just used the word "hip".) I do not like big tattoo art ; I do not like dance battles; I just don't think I'm the demographic. But I've heard so many other good things (especially about the food) that I may give in and try it in the next couple years.
I don't know, Chuck. I've been watching videos and it looks like the crowd skews older, like 65+. But I haven't been on one, so I don't know. I wouldn't worry about not being 'hip' enough to cruise on Virgin, at the end of the day, it's a cruise. :)

Sans Souci

Original Poster
Its all who can afford it ;-). They want to market to the 20somethings but seem to forget what 20somethings can actually afford. I neglected to mention that the rooms are very nice and the beer selection on ship is the most diverse I’ve experienced.

Yeah, I agree. I didn't want to offend anyone here, so I kept quiet! :hilarious:

I like those hammocks on the balcony. I'd sit there with a book.

imahistorygeek

Its all who can afford it ;-). They want to market to the 20somethings but seem to forget what 20somethings can actually afford. I neglected to mention that the rooms are very nice and the beer selection on ship is the most diverse I’ve experienced.
The rooms are nice, BUT for being a new ship, our room should have not had any squeaks. When the ship was moving slowly, the room was quiet, but any speed, it sounded like it had been on the water for years.
So…wealthy graying people going through a mid-life crisis who want to pretend they are 25?
#nailedit Both of us are definitely graying, but I would never want to be 25 again.
I’m guessing it’s more 30’s and 40’s who don’t want a cheap “party cruise” but also don’t want to be around families with kids.
That's exactly the crowd on Virgin. I will say there was more younger (by younger I mean in their 20s) adults than I've seen on a cruise.
My cruise experiences have been limited to two, three day Disney Dream cruises out of Port Canaveral. I would love to venture out though.
Great username and photo!

It is so worth it to venture out and see what else is out there. We started with Disney and thought we'd always be Disney, but there are some really great options out there.

I really liked Virgin for the food. I cannot stress how good the food on the ship. There was this artichoke dish I ordered from Extra Virgin (a Palo-esque type of place) and I think of that dish at least once a week. Honestly, it blows Palo out of the water.

The outdoor spaces are very nice and they have some very unique venues. Drinks are good, but small.

Entertainment was weak and we did have an issue that guest services never resolved or even bothered trying to resolve.

With that said, I'd definitely sail again.

We had a Sea Terrace (aka veranda)
20211121_145724.jpg

Probably the smallest ship bathroom I've ever seen. You can touch the wall with one hand and the shower with the other. Absolutely no shelving except by the tiny trashcan. Also, they thought black hand soap was a good idea. It's just a mess.
20211121_145735.jpg

The hammock is genius. Just wish they had two instead of one.
20211121_145833.jpg

Purple loungers are great and in very high demand. Our cruise was probably less than half full and the pool was packed.
20211122_074529.jpg

This is a bar/eatery located at the very end of the ship. Great location to relax.
20211122_152252.jpg

Korean BBQ at sea!
20211122_182148.jpg

The oddest drink I had, but good. I think it was some type of old fashioned.
20211124_201612.jpg

Karaoke Booths - You sign up ahead of time. These are a lot of fun! It was Scarlet Night on the ship.
20211124_211929.jpg

Beach Club at Bimini - The food is good and the water is very clear. No seaweed in the ocean. The water was a bit chilly in November.
20211125_094254.jpg

Scarlet Night Decor - All the lights are red.
20211125_192632.jpg

Sans Souci

Original Poster
The rooms are nice, BUT for being a new ship, our room should have not had any squeaks. When the ship was moving slowly, the room was quiet, but any speed, it sounded like it had been on the water for years.

#nailedit Both of us are definitely graying, but I would never want to be 25 again.

That's exactly the crowd on Virgin. I will say there was more younger (by younger I mean in their 20s) adults than I've seen on a cruise.

Great username and photo!

It is so worth it to venture out and see what else is out there. We started with Disney and thought we'd always be Disney, but there are some really great options out there.

I really liked Virgin for the food. I cannot stress how good the food on the ship. There was this artichoke dish I ordered from Extra Virgin (a Palo-esque type of place) and I think of that dish at least once a week. Honestly, it blows Palo out of the water.

The outdoor spaces are very nice and they have some very unique venues. Drinks are good, but small.

Entertainment was weak and we did have an issue that guest services never resolved or even bothered trying to resolve.

With that said, I'd definitely sail again.

We had a Sea Terrace (aka veranda)
View attachment 648835

Probably the smallest ship bathroom I've ever seen. You can touch the wall with one hand and the shower with the other. Absolutely no shelving except by the tiny trashcan. Also, they thought black hand soap was a good idea. It's just a mess.
View attachment 648836

The hammock is genius. Just wish they had two instead of one.
View attachment 648837

Purple loungers are great and in very high demand. Our cruise was probably less than half full and the pool was packed.
View attachment 648838

This is a bar/eatery located at the very end of the ship. Great location to relax.
View attachment 648839

Korean BBQ at sea!
View attachment 648840

The oddest drink I had, but good. I think it was some type of old fashioned.
View attachment 648841

Karaoke Booths - You sign up ahead of time. These are a lot of fun! It was Scarlet Night on the ship.
View attachment 648842

Beach Club at Bimini - The food is good and the water is very clear. No seaweed in the ocean. The water was a bit chilly in November.
View attachment 648843

Scarlet Night Decor - All the lights are red.
View attachment 648844

Thanks for the photos and review! This looks really good. If I am honest, I am not a pool person on a cruise and for all the DCL cruises I've been on, I've never seen a single stage show. I like to find quiet spots to relax and read. The food looks amazing, I love Korean BBQ.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom