VIDEO - Take a look inside the stunning ballroom of the 'Be Our Guest Restaurant'

Gregoryp73

I agree. Scale is completely off. The movie ballroom looks to be atleast 3 stories tall, possibly more? The FLE one is just 2, correct? And that ceiling...it really does hurt the grand feel...maybe they can do some lighting around the rim and a paint job to make it appear like it's domed using different color tones (EDIT: ceiling already has mural so there goes paint tone for domed effect), but I don't know if the room is tall enough to pull that off. And where are those huge columns in the FLE ballroom? Actually where are the columns at all? It looks like we have about 1/4 of the columns as the Ballroom from the movie.

Unfortunately, cost and space is going to reduce scale...In fact, even Cinderella's castle is a miniature based of off what inspired it (neuschwanstein castle)…

I'm going to wait until I actually see the room...it's hard to tell from the angles and shots that we get...

devoy1701

Unfortunately, cost and space is going to reduce scale...In fact, even Cinderella's castle is a miniature based of off what inspired it (neuschwanstein castle)…

I'm going to wait until I actually see the room...it's hard to tell from the angles and shots that we get...

Comparing the scale of the Ballroom here to the forced perspective scale of Cinderella Castle doesn't make sense. The size of the castle allows the scale to be executed effectively. Not to mention the penny pushers probably weren't freaking out about budget back then...it probably wasn't a deciding factor when deciding how to scale the castle). The scale of the ballroom just doesn't seem grand enough to make it "work".

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
If they really wanted to impress people they should have actually recreated the ballroom not the reader's digest version of it.

Remember the ballroom does not actually exist. Its appearance in animated form does not translate to the practicalities of a real working functional restaurant space.

Comparing the scale of the Ballroom here to the forced perspective scale of Cinderella Castle doesn't make sense. The size of the castle allows the scale to be executed effectively. Not to mention the penny pushers probably were freaking out about budget back then...it probably wasn't a deciding factor when deciding how to scale the castle). The scale of the ballroom just doesn't seem grand enough to make it "work".

I kind of wonder if having the scale be correct would have caused other issues outside of BatB... I think we all realize the room is much smaller than what we saw in the movie - but If you, say, doubled the height of the building it would probably cause serious issues in the rest of FLE... it might be too dominant and hard to cover up from the other 'places' in FLE. I have a feeling the final result will be pretty good. The mural on the ceiling is perplexing, though, since I dont recall that at all in the movie.

Pioneer Hall

I agree. Scale is completely off. The movie ballroom looks to be atleast 3 stories tall, possibly more? The FLE one is just 2, correct? And that ceiling...it really does hurt the grand feel...maybe they can do some lighting around the rim and a paint job to make it appear like it's domed using different color tones (EDIT: ceiling already has mural so there goes paint tone for domed effect), but I don't know if the room is tall enough to pull that off. And where are those huge columns in the FLE ballroom? Actually where are the columns at all? It looks like we have about 1/4 of the columns as the Ballroom from the movie.

Again...these are judgements being made based on a video of an active construction site. This restaurant isn't opening for nearly 6 months, which means that they have a lot of work to do still. When we had our kitchen redone a few years ago, we didn't stand over the contractor saying it looked like crap before he put the cabinets in. Why do we continuously insist on looking at UNFINISHED projects and deeming them to be failures?

Remember the ballroom does not actually exist. Its appearance in animated form does not translate to the practicalities of a real working functional restaurant space.

Steve...if I saw it on TV then it must be true.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
Again...these are judgements being made based on a video of an active construction site. This restaurant isn't opening for nearly 6 months, which means that they have a lot of work to do still. When we had our kitchen redone a few years ago, we didn't stand over the contractor saying it looked like crap before he put the cabinets in. Why do we continuously insist on looking at UNFINISHED projects and deeming them to be failures?

I saw it on the internets. I win! :rolleyes:

devoy1701

got it...so no opinions or judgements can/should be made until the project is completed and we can see it in person.

Makes perfect sense. Though someone should tell disney then so they could stop releasing concept art and promotional behind the scenes videos that are supposed to get people to form opinions and pass judgement on whether or not these additions are worth planning a trip to come see.

PlaneJane

In the Parks
No
I kind of wonder if having the scale be correct would have caused other issues outside of BatB... I think we all realize the room is much smaller than what we saw in the movie - but If you, say, doubled the height of the building it would probably cause serious issues in the rest of FLE... it might be too dominant and hard to cover up from the other 'places' in FLE. I have a feeling the final result will be pretty good. The mural on the ceiling is perplexing, though, since I dont recall that at all in the movie.

Correct me if I am wrong, but they could have dug down there and made another level. Utilidors are next to the restaurant but not below them I think. That would have allowed a better scale to the movie.

Enchantâmes

I'm sorry but the room looks tacky and plain compared to the film and I was promised the ballroom in the film with the original concept art. They are doing a poor job with it and I'm going to keep that opinion. Test Track, Little Mermaid, and Snow White look like they are going to be great additions/refurbs but this just looks cheap to me.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
I'm sorry but the room looks tacky and plain compared to the film and I was promised the ballroom in the film with the original concept art. They are doing a poor job with it and I'm going to keep that opinion. Test Track, Little Mermaid, and Snow White look like they are going to be great additions/refurbs but this just looks cheap to me.

You know it isn't finished right? There are still 6 months of construction on this.

Pioneer Hall

got it...so no opinions or judgements can/should be made until the project is completed and we can see it in person.

Makes perfect sense. Though someone should tell disney then so they could stop releasing concept art and promotional behind the scenes videos that are supposed to get people to form opinions and pass judgement on whether or not these additions are worth planning a trip to come see.

Disney isn't releasing these videos for us. They are releasing them for less informed people who, whether you like it or not, are probably getting excited about new additions. They care more about being able to eat in Beast's castle as opposed to the scale potentially being off by a few feet. Pass all the judgement you want, I really don't care. However, somehow 15 or so years ago people were able to wait and experience something because they didn't have the internet to watch every millisecond of work taking place. I bring back the Splash Mountain example. If the world was as technologically advanced in the late 80s/early 90s we would have had a hundred page thread about how awful the idea of Splash Mountain was. They based a ride off a movie that was never mass released in the US that dealt with slavery. It would have been trashed and destroyed repeatedly before a shovel was even placed in the ground. But, there was no internet that let us know all the details ahead of time and Splash somehow became one of the most beloved rides in Disney history in more than one location.

I even see a progression in the 10 years since I joined here. The criticisms today are far worse then they were when I first joined. I really can't say I remember people attacking Mission:Space and Everest non-stop while they were being built. Criticism may have come after they opened, which is fine since you got to experience it. Whether you want to admit it or not, the fan base is a lot more harsh and likes to pick aeverything apart.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
Correct me if I am wrong, but they could have dug down there and made another level. Utilidors are next to the restaurant but not below them I think. That would have allowed a better scale to the movie.

Or perhaps they couldn't.....

That's because one was a film and this is going to be an actual, live, functioning restaurant. Some changes were not only going to be necessary, but should have been expected, from both the concept art and the films.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
Disney isn't releasing these videos for us. They are releasing them for less informed people who, whether you like it or not, are probably getting excited about new additions. They care more about being able to eat in Beast's castle as opposed to the scale potentially being off by a few feet. Pass all the judgement you want, I really don't care. However, somehow 15 or so years ago people were able to wait and experience something because they didn't have the internet to watch every millisecond of work taking place. I bring back the Splash Mountain example. If the world was as technologically advanced in the late 80s/early 90s we would have had a hundred page thread about how awful the idea of Splash Mountain was. They based a ride off a movie that was never mass released in the US that dealt with slavery. It would have been trashed and destroyed repeatedly before a shovel was even placed in the ground. But, there was no internet that let us know all the details ahead of time and Splash somehow became one of the most beloved rides in Disney history in more than one location.

I even see a progression in the 10 years since I joined here. The criticisms today are far worse then they were when I first joined. I really can't say I remember people attacking Mission:Space and Everest non-stop while they were being built. Criticism may have come after they opened, which is fine since you got to experience it. Whether you want to admit it or not, the fan base is a lot more harsh and likes to pick aeverything apart.

Great examples, and you are absolutely right.

I am not part of any other forums, but I wonder if this kind of attitude is typical across other interest areas. Do Apple or Google fans act like this?

Pioneer Hall

I had to look up the ballroom scene from Beauty and the Beast just to make sure I wasn't going crazy when I watched that WDI video. I agree with you guys about the flaws. Especially the scale...The scale is all wrong. It's more impressive in the movie.

It will probably be a pleasant place to eat, but I don't think it's ridiculous to point out the inaccuracies, especially since WDI was able to accurately recreate Radiator Springs and Ornament Valley down to the very last detail in California.

Did they recreate Radiator Spring that well. I would imagine that those mountains would be hundreds of feet taller than they are in DCA. I mean if we are so bummed that the ballroom isn't exactly like it is in the movie, then I think that Carsland should be held to the exact same standard. Can we start to call Carsland a failure now too? I mean it is only fair that both coasts get their fair share of bashing on construction.

Pioneer Hall

Great examples, and you are absolutely right.

I am not part of any other forums, but I wonder if this kind of attitude is typical across other interest areas. Do Apple or Google fans act like this?

Not sure. I have been able to keep my unhealthy obsessions to only one topic and one forum. I wouldn't want to overdose on different kinds of dust you know. ;)

orky8

You can't dig down in Florida, because it is a swamp. The building for BATB is at ground level (and therefore level with the utilidors, which are also at ground level). However, I believe Lee has said the kitchen is actually below the restaurant, so in a sense, the restaurant is at second level (on par with the rest of the park), in which case, they could have added height by moving the kitchen elsewhere and having a ramp down or something. Hope that makes sense. It gets a bit confusing because you have to remember most of the Magic Kingdom is not at ground level.

lebeau

That's because one was a film and this is going to be an actual, live, functioning restaurant. Some changes were not only going to be necessary, but should have been expected, from both the concept art and the films.

Are you suggesting my dinner won't be served to me by singing enchanted objects? :eek:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom