Video Cameras @ WDW

antoinebusby

Original Poster
Alright all you seasoned WDW fans....

Can anyone give me the scoop on the ease/difficulty of having a video camera with you while you are visiting the World!

I greatly anticipate getting a digital video camera for Christmas this year, and I would most definitely love to bring it with me on our trip back to Disney this summer. This past summer we took over 200 still pictures, and have placed them inside of our official 2003 Disney photo album. I am just thinking that on top of the stills, tons of video would make even better Disney memories. Stills can't capture the awe of the the parades, firework shows, etc. like video can.

The particular camcorder that I will be using only weighs 1.05 pounds, and it is so small that you can sit it inside one of your hands.

I guess my question is, will lugging a video camera around eventually become bothersome, or do some of you all not even notice that you even have the camera.

Also, this camera serves as a digital camera that will still allow me to take tons of still pictures. Not to mention that I can make stills from the actual video itself.

Anyone have any comments, suggestions, or ideas. Can't wait to hear them.

KevinPage

Antoine,

YES, lugging anything around is a chore for me. I used to be a fanatic with getting all the pictures I could, I felt guilty if I missed ANYTHING. Yet when I returned home and had the film developed, it wasn't nearly as exciting as it was "taking the pictures".

Now that I live down here it is a completely LIBERATING experience not carrying anything, worry about trying to get the "perfect photo". I was able to walk around "fun and fancy free" enjoying the parks.

Video taping stuff is actualy really a great idea, since it's great to have a Tree Lighting ceremony or parade or fireworks show forever. But I have a suggestion for you.

Depending on how many days you are going to the parks, determine ahead of time, what you want to take pictures of or video tape, but SAVE it for a day where that is all you do. This way, you commit yourself to just taping stuff or not worrying about being completely "fun and fancy free".

This way, all your other days you are free of the mental burden of thinking, "oh I'm missing this, I need a pciture of that".

Why ruin a part of each day when you can condense it all into one? (ruin is a strong word, you still are at WDW).

I hope this made some kind of sense, as least this is the way my brain operates :D

tigsmom

I have a friend who taped just about every parade, show, etc. When we saw their stuff all he kept saying was "I don't remember that". He was sooo busy getting everything on tape that he missed all the "magic". Just some food for thought. :wave:

hadesrules

I don't think it's that big of a deal carrying a video camera around. They aren't very large or heavy. I like to tape as much as possible so that I have it to remember between visits.(we usually only go every year or 2). If you use the side screen you can still catch the action live. And you can tape almost anything. I said almost!!

Dean[AU]

I recommend you only tape shows/parades .. and see them once before you record it.
Not only do u catch da magic, you know whats coming up - so overal u get a better recording.

Oh BTW: In FoTLK - wave or get someone else to wave at every possible character :)

epcotisbest

My brother spent most of his time video taping their last trip. He said it was a huge mistake because he missed the fun and magic trying to get it on tape. Makes sense to me. Why experience the parks through a tiny screen and watch it back on TV, when you can enjoy it for real while there? Heck, I don't even carry a camera anymore unless it is for something special like the Christmas decorations. Whatever you decide, have a wonderful trip.
Ricky

Dopey Dave

I took my small video camera my last trip. I bought an inexpensive hip bag that held the camera and a couple of extra tapes. Worked great.

Pixie Duster

Biggest tip of all! Make sure you have all your photo/video gear purchased before hand, we all know prices are much more "magical" at WDW.

yensid66

We have brought a video camera with us on several occasions and just carried it around in a small backpack. It was not a hassle at all. Though I would agree with not spending your whole time video taping. It does take away from just enjoying it, but it does give you a good souvenier for later.

barnum42

I had no problem carrying my camcorder around last time. I did not use it much the first few days – just busy enjoying everything. Then set about taping it later. I have shot hours of footage and will start editing it on the PC when the new large hard drive arrives.

colliera

WDW taping through the years.

I first made video tapes of WDW back in 1980. In those days you really lugged the equipment around. A video deck that weighted in at 14 lb.s and a camera attached to that weighted in at 7 lb.s. This was recording direct to VHS which at the time I though was a big improvement. Previously I had used a camera/deck system that was 1/4 inch reel-to-reel and in black & white only. What a relief not to have to dub transfers from the reels to the VHS cartridges. On that trip I only saw three other video packs being used and while there was plently of, " . . . no flash photography, please.", no one was saying anything about videography.

Last trip in Feb of this year I changed from so much video taping with the 8mm Sony Digita8 and really tried to put my new digital camera through its paces. Hey with over 1,000 possible images on a 256MB SD card I was shooting anything and everything.

What did I learn? (1) At best I could only get about 130 shots a day and that was lagging behind the family getting atmosphere and detail shots, (even stupid shots of stuff like the FastPass entrances in case I ever wanted to build an informational website). Better I upped the resolution to "best" and go for the 2 megapixal shots because I always want to crop and zoom the photos some. At low res there just isn't any zooming. (2) We really do drag out those old tapes and watch them when get Disney homesick. But what we will mostly watch are the shows, parades, and some of the ride throughs. Random shots of buildings aren't that interesting. (3) If its not a show then get your friends and family in the video shots doing something beside starring back at you. One of the funniest shots we have is my daughter lighting up a smoke at Universal, (sorry), in front of the shed at one end of the lake. It's funny when I pull back from a tight shot and show the building's signage with "Danger! No Smoking!" - [Not a real hazmat storage shed]. (3) Do I miss some of the magic? Yes. I prefer to shoot through the viewfinder rather than the flip out screen which isn't all that visible in direct sunlight. It does remove you from the "being there" and it can get to be a strain physically if you are holding a shot for a longer period of time v. the few seconds a still shot will take.

Over the years I have build up a library of videos and let's face it. Once you have two or three of the 3 o'clock parade how many more do you need? I've started shooting only what's new or different to me or a re-do on shots I never really got a good video.

So as previously posted, don't try to do it all in one trip. Pick and choose your targets.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom