Via Napoli 'by-the-slice' counter taste test - what you need to know

njDizFan

This type of slice would be what us in the NE would call "sicilian". It is not directly baked on the stone of the oven. It is made in a pan, then the dough is raised. I cannot comment on the taste or quality of ingrediants but I can testify on the process.

PS I owned and operated a pizzaria for 10+ years

Pioneer Hall

Looks like standard sicilian pizza that you see in NY. I guess I understand why they have to go that route instead of what you get inside, but they should be careful as advertising it as such. They would be better off moving the by the slice counter away from the restaurant and not associating it so people don't think that is the pizza you get when you sit down.

Unomas

Looks like standard sicilian pizza that you see in NY. I guess I understand why they have to go that route instead of what you get inside, but they should be careful as advertising it as such. They would be better off moving the by the slice counter away from the restaurant and not associating it so people don't think that is the pizza you get when you sit down.

Completely agree. It is very misleading. I think a lot of people will be disappointed when they see it is not what they know and love.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
I think it looks like a slice of Elios. They should give the CS a different name from the TS. If people eat that, they will be thinking Via Napoli serves the same style pizza on the inside. Bad for business.

Korfar

The CS pizza doesn't even look good. I wouldn't be happy getting that when I expected what is served inside.

moemoe55

Don't skimp on the pizza Disney

It can't be that difficult to serve the pizza they serve inside, by the slice outside. I'm hoping it's the same ingredients only "sicillian" style.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
It can't be that difficult to serve the pizza they serve inside, by the slice outside. I'm hoping it's the same ingredients only "sicillian" style.

According to our taste testers it is not the same ingredients, as the taste and look is very different.

David S.

I'm sorry others are not enjoying the "by the slice". Since cheese pizza is my favorite food, maybe I'm just easy to please, or just so used to the standard WDW pizzas (which rank very relatively low on my pizza rankings), but I thoroughly enjoyed the "by the slice" slices I've had. I thought they blew away the standard WDW pizzas found at Pinocchio Village Haus, Pizza Planet, Pizzafari, and the Epcot pizza cart near Test Track. The cheese tasted better and the slices I ate had a better "cheese to sauce ratio" than the WDW pizzas, which often taste too saucy for my taste. (I like my cheese pizza taste to be dominated by the cheese and to barely notice the sauce).

Plus, I like having the option to spontaneously grab a slice of pizza while in World Showcase without having to back track all the way to Test Track for a pizza that won't be as good (and isn't even always open).

Hearing so many great things about the "real" Via Napoli pizzas, I would love to try it one day, but unfortunately the price is not favorable to solo visitors like me who don't have an appetite large enough to eat an entire pizza at one setting. Plus eating is a completely spontaneous thing for me and I can't remember ever making a reservation in order to do it. But maybe the next time I am in Florida and family and friends come to visit, I'll be able to give their "real" pizza a try :)

PS. If the WDW pizza tasted more like Sbarro's, (or any other New York-style thin crust with plenty of cheese) none of this would even be an issue for me, as I'd be a pretty happy camper with the WDW pizzas :)

rkelly42

5.25 for a slice or square of pizza?? that is just crazy. It would have to be one of the best slices of pizza ever for me to pay that.

fyn

According to our taste testers it is not the same ingredients, as the taste and look is very different.

That should be expected. Sicilian style pies need a different recipe because they cook at different temperatures and for different amounts of time than normal Neapolitan pizza. Once you start changing temp and cook time, you need to adjust which type of cheese you use, because different cheeses have different melting characteristics.

Now, if they advertise sicilian slices, then great. If not, it is a little misleading. They made a big hoopla over their "Verace Pizza Napoletana", if I'm not mistaken, so people would naturally expect that pizza.

HouCuseChickie

Sandy and I haven't eaten either inside or outside... we just don't do Pizza on a WDW trip. But I have to confess, if we did? I would avoid the place. An activity of this sort screams "unethical" in my mind. The clear implication in that "by the slice" offering is that one is GETTING Via Napoli pizza.

This is where my mind is in all of this. They're luring people in with the name and doing a bait and switch with the product. I hate to say it, but it's a bit of a scam. Of course my DH who thinks all pizza is created equally :rolleyes: wouldn't know the difference, but what about the rest of the guests?

I will say it does look like some pizza we picked up on the street in Rome (or the pizza they served in my high school cafeteria), but it looks nothing like the Sicilian pies I grew up seeing in NJ.

TinkerBelle8878

It seems very expensive for 1 slice of what they're claiming is the same pizza as inside the restaurant.

Especially if it isn't very good.

I guess we can only hope that enough people complain so that they either tell you exactly what you aren't getting or they give you what the inside diners get.

Like one of the above posters said, if people don't like the walk up, they certainly aren't going to fork over more money to eat inside.

disneypearl

I had it this past Dec. and it was very good. I also ate in the restaurant and enjoyed that as well. The slice is large and I felt happy with the size and quality. I also liked how you could just grab a slice as you go.

David S.

Well said, Disneypearl, that's how I feel as well. I thought the outdoor slices I had were very good and the price didn't bother me as I have an extremely small appetite, I eat small portions, and so one of these relatively large slices is enough to fill me up and make a meal. So I got a much tastier pizza lunch for a comparable price to what I am used to paying regularly for the standard WDW personal-sized pizzas, which to me don't taste as good. Plus as you said I like the spontaneity and quick service aspect of not having to plan - if hungry, grab a slice; if not, wait until you are hungry! ;)

TiggerTime

We have a pizza place near our home that has a wood fired pizza oven....and the pizza is thin...crisp and delicious.
They don't do take out or slices.

The pizza doesn't travel well....therefore it's never put in a pizza box....and since it should be eaten as soon as it comes from the oven....no slices. It doesn't sit around hoping enough people come around for a slice so the entire pizza can be sold.

Those pictures posted look like frozen pizza. If I couldn't take the time to eat inside and have the 'real' thing....I'd eat someplace else.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom