Very weird contemporary rumour?

sgtmgd

I can confirm the Mural is coming down, its being replaced with a new innovative nighttime projection spectacular with an additional option to stand in a special section for a slight up charge.

JoeCamel

I can confirm the Mural is coming down, its being replaced with a new innovative nighttime projection spectacular with an additional option to stand in a special section for a slight up charge.
Maybe they will just do a simulcast of the MK fireworks so you don't have to crowd onto a balcony.Could serve cupcakes at the viewing party for a slight upcharge

Haymarket2008

There was plans in the 90’s to cover it, but it thankfully never happened. There is even concept art of it available.

And I think they should do a subtle little “living projection” show on it, a la the Tree of Life. That would be a really cool touch. Maybe for the 50th or something.

PurpleJesus

I'm all for Disney World being an ever evolving entity, but there are certain things that are sacrosanct and shouldn't be touched. I wouldn't get too far down the list of "untouchables" at Disney World before putting Mary Blair's mural on there. In fact, I think it would be right after the Monorail that glides past it daily.

Assumming it's not true b/c it came from a guest, but still, kinda unnerving.

aladdin2007

I'm all for Disney World being an ever evolving entity, but there are certain things that are sacrosanct and shouldn't be touched. I wouldn't get too far down the list of "untouchables" at Disney World before putting Mary Blair's mural on there. In fact, I think it would be right after the Monorail that glides past it daily.

Assumming it's not true b/c it came from a guest, but still, kinda unnerving.

This because I dont trust them anymore. However the resort concourse and lobby are in dire need of a makeover, its ugly and stuck on the 90s. But don't touch the original artwork. With what they have done though at some of the other resorts recently with their makeovers I would be very nervous to see them do anything yet at the same time, it needs refreshing of some kind. Take the store out of the middle for one thing and open it up again etc etc.

trainplane3

There was plans in the 90’s to cover it, but it thankfully never happened. There is even concept art of it available.

And I think they should do a subtle little “living projection” show on it, a la the Tree of Life. That would be a really cool touch. Maybe for the 50th or something.
Wow. I'm actually a fan of this style but I would never touch anything Mary Blair. I'd still take what they wanted to do up to the mural though, that store is just a awkward use of space.
tumblr_m6qy7gHT4F1r1pz1eo1_1280.jpg

jt04

I don't think they would get rid of them but might relocate them. I believe they preserved the murals at Disneyland. That gives this rumor some credibility. Perhaps they are considering a central location to display all of the murals. Disneyland is getting a new Tomorrowland and likely the murals are not included. The interior of the Contemporary might be up for a refresh. So it all adds up. IMO.

trainplane3

I don't think they would get rid of them but might relocate them. I believe they preserved the murals at Disneyland. That gives this rumor some credibility. Perhaps they are considering a central location to display all of the murals. Disneyland is getting a new Tomorrowland and likely the murals are not included. The interior of the Contemporary might be up for a refresh. So it all adds up. IMO.
Preserved by punching holes straight through it:

KBLovedDisney

Weird thought, but if they did end up moving the mural, I think it would look really cool if they refurbished the Land's interior again and used the top portion inside of the dome to portray these murals (but still keep the "weather" balloons and possibly bring back the moving up and down function). Eh. Just a weird thought.

PurpleJesus

This because I dont trust them anymore. However the resort concourse and lobby are in dire need of a makeover, its ugly and stuck on the 90s. But don't touch the original artwork. With what they have done though at some of the other resorts recently with their makeovers I would be very nervous to see them do anything yet at the same time, it needs refreshing of some kind. Take the store out of the middle for one thing and open it up again etc etc.
Completely agree about the store in the middle. That's never made any sense to me, and only seems to make that side of the concourse feel overly congested. It feels more like a temporary pop-up kiosk than an actual merchandise location....to me, anyway. Not what I'd expect from a Deluxe resort for sure.

(For the record, The Contemporary is by far and away my favorite place to stay on property. So, I say all of this w/ a lot of love for the resort.)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom