Very torn

Sari8970

Original Poster
I'm having a really hard time making a decision on where to stay in October. We've gone to Disney World the last 3 years. The first year we were with my parents and we stayed off property at a Marriott Vacation Club in a 2 bedroom. The last 2 years we've gone (with us and our kids) and we stayed in a one bedroom at Bay Lake Tower. Now we are totally spoiled because we spend most of our time at MK. Last year was the first time we ever got a park hopper. If we get a park hopper again this year we will most likely go in the mornings to other parks and end at MK like last year unless it was a full day at MK (full day minus going back for nap and rest for my youngest - now 2).

I'd love to stay at BLT again, but there aren't any specials this time and it is so expensive (actually, they only have studios available right now and no one bedrooms). We can stay at the Hilton at Downtown Disney on points, a Hilton Vacation Club on points, a Marriott Vacation Club on points, a regular hotel or stay in a moderate on property or maybe even Fort Wilderness Lodge. If we stay off property at other than the downtown Disney property we'll need a rental car with 2 car seats.

I don't think my 2 year old will go back for naps at this point, even though he takes them at home every day. I really think he'll resist and if he will take a nap I'm not sure it will matter if we have a "bedroom" to put him in. One of us adults can take my older one (4) to the pool, on a bus ride, a walk, etc to get him out of the room, if necessary.

We just aren't sure what's best with such young children and dealing with our HUGE and HEAVY double stroller (which I wouldn't change for a minute because it's a breeze to push, has snack trays, huge sun canopies and we have a sunshade (which if my youngest will nap in the stroller - by some miracle - would keep him much much cooler). The only thing is it's a pain in the you know what with the buses.

I know none of you can actually make this decision for me, but since we are so spoiled and haven't stayed on property anywhere other than BLT (and I stayed at the Contemporary a bunch of years ago) I feel I don't know enough about other properties to make a decision. Then on top of it I'm trying to figure out if a regular room at the Polynesian is really worth the price just to have the monorail.

Any advice, assistance, anything that anyone can give me would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much!

ta2mama

Well, I can tell you that the past 6 or so times I have been to WDW, we have stayed at a Winsdor Hills Resort home or condo. They are probably 5 min from the parks, beautiful property, and during Oct the rates are better, too.

I highly recommend them, but I know many people have their favorites, as well. Just wanted to give my opinion! I go through Florida Sun Vacation homes to rent.

The homes have private pools, as well as a hot tub, and the condos share a pool area. I LOVE WH, and will probably stay there if I am not staying on site. You'd have to check prices, but it seems like the last time we went, we got a 4 bedroom, 4 bath, with private pool, game room, etc, for around $1200 for nine days? It was split between me, mym mom, and my sis and her hubby. When I went in Oct, I got a condo with two bedrooms, two bathrooms, for around $480, for 5 days.

Getting BLT is such a pain because it's so popular with DVC owners. I've been trying to get a client a one-bedroom there for Oct for two months--it's just not happening. I've been told by CMs that sometimes they open up at the beginning of the month as DVC owners trade into RCI, etc, but I'm not so sure I have faith in it happening at this point.

I like Windsor Hills and like the previous poster said, the property is beautiful. We stayed there when my twins were 22 months old and it was really hard, though. Getting to and from the MK, where we spent most of our time, was very difficult. We also had to get two cars because of the number of people in our group and the fact that the older kids could stay in the parks longer than the younger ones. The property is really nice--you couldn't ask for more--but the transportation issues really hurt us.

I would probably try out another monorail resort. I don't think you can get a suite at the GF at this point, but you'd be on the monorail there or at the Poly and with a large stroller, it would be worth it. I love WL but the boat and the stroller could get awkward--imagine trying to wrangle small kids on a dock while you fold up a big strollers.

Good luck!

Sari8970

Original Poster
We were definitely lucky the last 2 years to be able to stay at BLT.

We've been on the boats from the Contemporary with the stroller and it definitely wasn't fun! I wasn't sure if the boat that takes you to the MK from there is the one where you can keep it open or one of the smaller ones where you have to close it up.

There are standard rooms available at FR and Poly, but I'm having a hard time convincing my husband to spend that kind of money on a "regular" room. I think since we spend most of our time at MK it is worth it. The last 2 years we've gone to eat at the quick service restaurant at GF and we love the "feel" over there. I wasn't sure how far of a walk to and from the monorail the outer buildings are.

I think part of our concern is at the end of the day when so many people are trying to get on buses, the monorail, whatever method of transportation being used and feeling rushed and crazy with 2 little kids and the stroller. That was the best part of BLT. Most nights we just walked back. We would take the monorail earlier in the day because our kids loved riding it, but at night we'd just walk and they were so tired (and in some cases my older one fell asleep because he refuses to nap and has for a very very long time) that they couldn't argue that they wanted the monorail.

Thanks so much for the help!

EvilQueen-T

we love the monorail resorts as well. if you can't get blt have you considered wilderness lodge? the "boat" is a ferry and it's flat, not like getting in the little boats that go between the poly/gf and mk. just a thought.

Sari8970

Original Poster
We were able to get a standard room at the Polynesian. We've never stayed there. I'm excited about being on the monorail because it really is the easiest with the double stroller and such young kids, but I'm worried about how spread out it may be and which building it's best to stay in.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom