Very Merry Christmas Party

fairetails

Original Poster
Do you guys think this is appropriate for a 22 month old? We are going in NOV for what will be my son't second time. I was psyched to see the decorations will be up. When I told my husband about the VMCP he said he thought my son was too young for it. He's also goes to bed around 8 so hubby was all worried about that since hrs are 7-12AM. If you guys agree with him, are there other suggestions to enjoy the holiday lights and festivities w/o going to the party?

Northernlass

Hi there

We arrive mid Dec and will be there till 27th Dec. The VMCP is on my list to do and will have an 8 year old ds plus almost 3 year old twins. From past experience we have done the not so scary Halloween party and think the key is to have a restful day before going into the park at night. As long as you have a buggy for the baby to sleep in you should be fine.

Enjoy - I am getting excited already!!

thrupaytonseyes

We took DS1 when he was 20 months and have gone every year since(well MNSSHP last year!). I thought going to the party worked out better for us than during the day b/c he could go on rides with little wait time. He loved the parade, decorations, characters with little to no wait, and snow on Main Street. Once he fell asleep in the stroller, we just walked around with our hot chocolate & cookies and took in the atmosphere.

Now we have other family go with us and rotate who stays with the stroller with sleeping DS2 while the others ride the rides.

Of course my DS didn't go to sleep until 9-9:30 nightly so that could make a difference since yours goes down at 8. For us, DS stayed up later than usual too b/c he had a late nap the day of the party.

As far as other suggestions to enjoy the holiday lights and shows, I have none for MK but go to other resorts and check out their decorations, go to the nightly tree lighting ceremonies at the parks, check out the Osborne lights, stroll around Downtown.

Hope this helps a little! Enjoy:wave:! There is nothing better than seeing your little one's face light up at the World!

I agree with your husband :eek:We took our then almost 2 and almost 4 y.o. children to Disney last year in Dec and decided against the MVMCP because they usually go to bed around 8 also. I don't regret it, I had been to it when my husband and I got engaged so I know what takes place. Although it was fun, I really didn't see the point of going with two tired and probably cranky kids just to say we went to it or pay the extra money to push around 2 sleeping kids. We are going back to Disney this Dec and I don't plan on going. We are going with the same mentality as the last time we went of what we fit in, we fit, what we don't, we don't. The kids are on Disney excitment overload and still little so I don't want to overload them more.
Instead, we went to the Osborne Spectacle of Lights which was in MGM (I mean Hollywood Studios) which starts at 6 or 7pm. The kids loved all the lights and we were back in time for bed. They also have the Tree Lighting at Epcot with Mickey and the Candlelight Processional at Epcot but he would probably be a little bored with it. And although not exactly Christmasy we took the kids on a horse and carriage ride at POR, and the horse had reindeer antlers and little christmas lights on his reigns, so the kids thought it was great. You can always check out the decorations at different hotels, I was amazed how entertaining a huge Christmas at WL was for my kids.

happymom52003

Go! My DD was 18 months when she went, and her older brother was 5. We took it easy the day of the party and made sure she got a nice, long nap in the afternoon.....we did not even go to a park that day. She had a great time. She eventually fell asleep in her stroller after the fireworks, which was no big deal.
We did not stay out until midnight of course, but we did stay out later than we normally do (our kids also usually go to bed at 8:00 or 9:00, even when we are at Disney). We just slept in the next morning. Since we made sure they were well rested the day of the party, and we slept in the next day, they did GREAT! We would not have been able to do that every night of our trip or they would have been sooooo cranky, but they handled one night just fine.
We did the same for the P&P party when she was 2 1/2, and it worked out great again.
If you overdo it the day of the party and the child starts off the evening already tired, and you have an early morning planned for the next day, then you will run into problems.

It would really depend on your childs ability to stay up past his usual bedtime. If he's going to be asleep in his stroller by 8:30 I wouldn't suggest it but if you think he could make it until about 10:00 it might not be a bad idea.

But if you decide against the party, like someone else mentioned the Osbourne Family Lights will be up at Studios and Epcot should already be heavily decorated as well. And MK will still be decked out for normal park hours, there just won't be the special holiday parade or shows.

coltow

We took DS to MNSSHP when he was 22mo. He had a great time. We stayed at resort pool during the day and then made sure he got a good nap in before we went. He was able to make it until just after the parade and fireworks. He loved the treats he got and meeting characters. He fell asleep in the stroller which allowed us to stroll through the park and see some things too. I think we headed back around 11pm. DS didn't wake up at all on the trip back to resort either.

KC82271

My DD was 28 mos old last Nov when we went. We took the early part of the day lightly - held off on letting her nap until around 4pm and let her sleep as long as she could (in the hotel room, AC going and blinds closed) and she slept about 2.5 hours. We ended up going until after midnight and she only catnapped once for about 20 minutes while waiting for the parade. Make sure to video the entire night. My DD watches it non-stop. She could careless about our most recent trip - but Christmas party rules!

I highly suggest it for you and your child!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom