Valet Parking

travelsoon

I plan to use valet parking the first day we arrive at the AKL. What do I need to do to make sure we won't be charged for valet parking on the other days.

Also, do I have 24 hours to retrieve my car or just until the end of the day. I assume I need to request my car to be brought up and then I just drive it over to the self-parking lot.

Thanks for any help.

Cosmo

i think that if you have them valet park it, its an automatic $6 regardless of whether you're there 24 hours or 24 minutes. I don't know how you'd do valet parking for the first day only, but to be on the safe side, i wouldn't bother with it and just self park the whole time. If you have a bunch of luggage you can pull up to the entrance and bell services will tag and hold your luggage while you go park your car and stroll up to the building. Might be easier and avoid a $6/day charge.

Upvote 0
Valet parking is paid to the bell stand at the time you pick up your vehicle. You will only be charged $6, no matter how long you leave your car with them. There is no computerized record charged to your room of your valet parking -- just the envelope they put your keys in -- so you do not need to worry about getting charged every day even if you only use it the first day.

Upvote 0

Cosmo

when i stayed at the contemporary this summer i did not pay the valets anything (other than a tip on the last day). The $6/day was charged automatically to my room account.

Upvote 0
Originally posted by Cosmo
when i stayed at the contemporary this summer i did not pay the valets anything (other than a tip on the last day). The $6/day was charged automatically to my room account.

I'm quite surprised by this. Since they started charging for Valet parking we've stayed at Wilderness Lodge and Boardwalk. Neither of them charge anything back to the room (unless you give them your room ID to charge the $6 back if you don't have cash on you). We were at Wilderness Lodge most recently in August.

Maybe travelsoon should call AKL to double check how they handle Valet parking. It may be different for each resort.

Upvote 0

Cosmo

yeah, for real. I dropped off my car on the first day, i didn't tell anyone at the checkin desk or anything and it appeared on my bill at the end of my stay. it was nice and easy but it might have been a problem if i didn't want my car in valet parking any more.

Upvote 0

wed050499

Hello all,

I couldn't resist on replying to this post seeing as I worked in BoardWalk Bell Services during my time at WDW. If any of you went there an valeted your car between the months of January and August, you may have had me write it up.

The way it works for valet is that there is a standard $6 per day charge for valet parking at resorts that offer it. If you pay at any of the resorts that do offer it (see list below), you will not be charged at other resorts. However, when you do pay, ask for a window hanger that will be a color of the day so you are sure not to get charged anywhere else. (this is the biggest problem the CM's in resorts bell services seem to have is giving out these little tags.) No matter if you park for 10 minutes or 10 hours during a day, you will still be charged.

If you are staying at a resort from the list below with valet parking and are utilizing it during your stay, your charge will be put directly to your room. However, seeing as you are charged, again make sure you get the window sticker so you aren't charged at other resorts.

Note: DVC members are not charged at DVC resorts. All others they are charged the fee of $6.

Note: Disney Dining Club Members are not charged for valet parking at any Disney resort.

Note: If you are staying at a resort without valet parking, you should be charged for the service.

Note: None of the $6 that you pay for valet go to the CM's who actually are parking or getting your car. (they're pay is actually only $3 per hour) Therefore, gratuities are greatly appreciated. Sorry for the plug, but I saw first hand how little those valets were getting. Let's just say it made what i was making as a College Program CM seem high sometimes.

Here is a list of resorts with valet parking:
(*denotes DVC resorts)
Contemporary
Polynesian
Grand Floridian
Wilderness Lodge*
Animal Kingdom Lodge
BoardWalk*
Beach Club*
Yacht Club

I keep feeling like I forgot one, but I don't think i did.
Hope this helps those of you with questions.
Thanks everyone,
Brian

Upvote 0

travelsoon

Original Poster
Thanks for the help. I'll see how hectic things look when we get there. Last year we arrived at the same time several other groups did so things were at bit hectic even just getting someone to help get the luggage out of the trunk. It was dark by the time we got in and it seemed that the only available parking was very far away from the hotel.

I hate paying $6 per day, though, especially if we don't use the car more than once a day. Thanks for the info on the tips, too.

Upvote 0

wed050499

Originally posted by travelsoon

I hate paying $6 per day, though, especially if we don't use the car more than once a day.

Well, believe me, I tried to get the ball rolling several times, for the sake of the guests and the sake of the CM's I worked with to impliment a way to get rid of the $6 per day charge. The argument by the company is that it was put in to comply with the surrounding hotels, however, isn't the point of the Disney Difference to beat the quality of the competitors? I love Disney, but even the most perfect system does a few things wrong from time to time.

thanks everyone
Brian

Upvote 0

Cosmo

so what's a good tip for the valet when you ask them to get your car (not at the end of the stay but for just using your car)? Otherwise its $2/day for a tip right?

Upvote 0

wed050499

so what's a good tip for the valet when you ask them to get your car (not at the end of the stay but for just using your car)? Otherwise its $2/day for a tip right?

Well since I don't work there right now, I can say, we weren't supposed to when i was there. Industry standard for retrieving your car from valet is a $2 tip. This is the same for when bellmen bring bags to the rooms, it's $2 per bag. The valets or bellmen at Disney do not pool their tips, so even if you give at the end of your stay (say $14 for a trip of 7 days) it will only go to the valet you give it to. Also, it is industry standard for parking your car when you bring it back to the resort a $1 tip. If you want to check these for yourself, check with AAA or any other travel agency.

thanks again,
Brian

Upvote 0

Cosmo

so what if you never use your car? should you just give the valet $2 at the end of your trip for bringing your car up? and not for everyday your car sat in the lot?

Upvote 0

wed050499

so what if you never use your car? should you just give the valet $2 at the end of your trip for bringing your car up? and not for everyday your car sat in the lot?

If you want to be extremely generous, you could give for everyday your car was in the lot, but $2 is fine.

Brian

Upvote 0

Cosmo

dang...wish i'd known that before...the last time i stayed at the contemporary the guy got a HUGE tip for picking up my car at the end of my stay...he must have thought i was nuts!!!:hammer:

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom