Utilidors

Gorjus

Original Poster
I'm curious. For those of you non-CM who for whatever reason (tour, snuck down, meetings) have been downstairs in the tunnels; how thrilling or disappointing was it?

You are only taken to a small section of it under Main St. (I think). Did you find it fascinating, boring, shocking, what?

What are your thoughts on it.

CThaddeus

I think many of us know what to expect before we go on these tours. I've seen many shows that feature bits and pieces of the Utilidors, so I knew it wasn't going to be something themed to the hilt like Splash Mountain. They're utility corridors. Utility indicates work, not fun.
Still, I found myself giddy as a little kid, checking out every sign, watching every person as they went by. It was one of the highlights of my last vacation, and I fully intend to take the Keys to the Kingdom Tour every time I go. I love to see how things work at Disney, and so anything behind the scenes - no matter how mundane - is somehow fascinating to me. I even worked at Disneyland, and I still can't get enough of seeing stuff not normally intended for the public's eyes. I also enjoyed the Undiscovered Future World Tour, as it goes backstage pretty often, too.
Some might be disappointed. I certainly didn't see disappointment in the faces of any of my tour group. In fact, I think all of us let out an audible, "awwwwww" of sadness when the guide said it was time to head up top again.

jjgoo

I actually was a little disappointed when we went down there. The tour only takes you into a very small section. It kind of seemed like the basement of some college dormitory.

I think I would have found it more interesting if the tour took us past some break rooms or storage or something like that.

I am sure that even though it is a tour they don't want to completely lose the aspect of "show" so we didn't really get to see much. I would have been happy to see more.

In the end I still think it is cool that I have seen more than most and that I have been backstage. The tours are great.

Our guide was Anibal and he was excellent.

WDWRLD

In 1987 when I was 14 I took a tour called The Walt Disney World Of Entertainment which was for chirldren and teenagers which toured the Utilidors. Later in life I took the Keys to the Kingdom tour where we entered in Fantsyland in I believe in Tinkerbells Treasures. We say the door to the Dak's, where Cm's exchange their costumes, the hair and wig dept, the big door where the Armored car comes to get all the money the Mouse takes in, some type of Cm breakroom/caffiteria and we exited somewhere near the hair and wig dept I thing outside of the park to the backstage area. We also went to the backstage of splash, and where the afternoon parade and spectro floats were kept.

Chape19714

I actually was a little disappointed when we went down there. The tour only takes you into a very small section. It kind of seemed like the basement of some college dormitory.

I think I would have found it more interesting if the tour took us past some break rooms or storage or something like that.

I am sure that even though it is a tour they don't want to completely lose the aspect of "show" so we didn't really get to see much. I would have been happy to see more.

In the end I still think it is cool that I have seen more than most and that I have been backstage. The tours are great.

Our guide was Anibal and he was excellent.
Actually, you most likely did pass a break room, they just didn't point it out.

Before I worked there, I thought it was pretty neat, but I was pretty lost, in hindsight, they only brought me through a small area and in a complete circle. :lol:

EpcotServo

I've been down there on the tour a few times, and I've got to see it a few times after that, and It's pretty cool. But I really geek out at the great 70's Engineering.

darthjohnny

It was very cool. But a little disappointing in some respects. I did it on the Keys to the Kingdom tour.

When you think Disney, you think it's probably some magical, high tech secret area where everyone is riding aroudn on Segways.

Unfortunately, it was not like that. It was dim and had paint peeling on the walls. It was like your typical warehouse or something of that nature. :)

Bluewaves

That was my impression it felt a warehouse or some other thing of that type, not all that interesting , there was stuff pilled all over the place and if you didn't come through main street and pay $71 admission you'd never know you were in Disney World.

cloe111479

When I was working in Magic Kingdom (Adventureland merchandise) back in Fall 2001, i remember the tour only brought the tourist to the nice section where the cafeteria was, and then under main street. There was big difference from that and the rest of the tunnels. Main Street had a huge breakroom, that had many tvs, video games, nice sofas. The rest of us, (Adventureland, Fronteirland and Tomorrowland) had hard benches with a tv that got 3 channels with some vending machines. I always thought that that was funny. Show the tourists the pretty section.

Just my 2 cents. :)

Chape19714

When I was working in Magic Kingdom (Adventureland merchandise) back in Fall 2001, i remember the tour only brought the tourist to the nice section where the cafeteria was, and then under main street. There was big difference from that and the rest of the tunnels. Main Street had a huge breakroom, that had many tvs, video games, nice sofas. The rest of us, (Adventureland, Fronteirland and Tomorrowland) had hard benches with a tv that got 3 channels with some vending machines. I always thought that that was funny. Show the tourists the pretty section.

Just my 2 cents. :)
What Main Street Break Room are you talking about? :lol:

Ok, it's big, and yes, we have video games, but only 1 TV, and 2 sofas. But you're right, it's better than the others. Now MGM has some nice break rooms, one for every location, the one in Tower is pretty neat.

Captain Hank

I was shocked when I saw the Main Street breakroom. I'd picked up an EHH shift at Main Street East, and walked in during my dinner break.

:eek:

We definately didn't have anything like that at Epcot.

As far as the first time I was in the Utilidoors, I can't say that I was really disappointed. I pretty much knew what to expect. The smell is one thing that caught me off guard, though, particularly in the Frontierland area.

Gorjus

Original Poster

quote]

College Dormitory is a good description. You did go past a break room. In fact, I sometimes have trouble navigating to the break room due to all the tour groups. Some days there are three or 4 groups all at once. The tour also takes you right past the Photopass office. When the door opens, peek in and you can see another non-glamorous 'cave' that serves as a base of operations. And the photopass base is right next to a storage room for...I believe...The Plaza Restaurant, but I could be wrong. It is some type of dry food/cutlery storage.

I just wonder what people are thinking while they are down there.

In 1987 when I was 14 I took a tour called The Walt Disney World Of Entertainment which was for chirldren and teenagers which toured the Utilidors. Later in life I took the Keys to the Kingdom tour where we entered in Fantsyland in I believe in Tinkerbells Treasures. We say the door to the Dak's, where Cm's exchange their costumes, the hair and wig dept, the big door where the Armored car comes to get all the money the Mouse takes in, some type of Cm breakroom/caffiteria and we exited somewhere near the hair and wig dept I thing outside of the park to the backstage area. We also went to the backstage of splash, and where the afternoon parade and spectro floats were kept.

The Keys to the Kingdom took you in the back section of the tunnels and showed you the costuming area? That doesn't sound right. They usually avoid that because that is where you can see our characters in various states of undress. I've never seen a tour group back there, but just because I've never seen it doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

I was shocked when I saw the Main Street breakroom. I'd picked up an EHH shift at Main Street East, and walked in during my dinner break.

:eek:

We definately didn't have anything like that at Epcot.

As far as the first time I was in the Utilidoors, I can't say that I was really disappointed. I pretty much knew what to expect. The smell is one thing that caught me off guard, though, particularly in the Frontierland area.

Do you think the Main Street Break room is a good or bad thing compared to Epcot? I thought Epcot had a lot of really big break rooms. To be honest, most break rooms are tables, chairs, microwaves, refrigerators and vending machines. One step above that is one that has a grab and go (think 7-11). But really sometimes it is nice to end up with a break near the cafeteria. Especially if you didn't bring your lunch.

And you are so right about the smell in the Frontierland area of the tunnel. YUCK! To be avoided whenever possible.

se8472

The Keys to the Kingdom took you in the back section of the tunnels and showed you the costuming area? That doesn't sound right. They usually avoid that because that is where you can see our characters in various states of undress. I've never seen a tour group back there, but just because I've never seen it doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

I think back in the day it did.

Captain Hank

Do you think the Main Street Break room is a good or bad thing compared to Epcot? I thought Epcot had a lot of really big break rooms. To be honest, most break rooms are tables, chairs, microwaves, refrigerators and vending machines. One step above that is one that has a grab and go (think 7-11). But really sometimes it is nice to end up with a break near the cafeteria. Especially if you didn't bring your lunch.

And you are so right about the smell in the Frontierland area of the tunnel. YUCK! To be avoided whenever possible.
Admittedly, several of the Epcot breakrooms are pretty big. In particular the West-Future World North breakroom near the Epcot Photopass base. Most of the other Epcot breakrooms I've been in have been a tad cozy. The East-Future World North breakroom is microscopic. And we don't get cool videogames :) . I really wish Epcot had another cafeteria, or even just a grab-and-go. While Oddessy is theoretically close to everything by being roughly centrally located, instead it manages to be inconveniently located for everyone but Future World East and the East half of World Showcase. There really should be something on the West side.

rainfully

The first time I was ever in the Utilidors, I was in awe. Mostly for the fact that this is all hidden... and thinking of all the amazing stuff that is going on just feet above your head. Most guests have no idea!

To me, the whole system is just amazing. What an awesome idea... and all built for the purposes of maintaining magic!

I think it's human nature to want get a peek beind the curtains... see how things work. Even though you really don't see any of the REAL meat on the Keys to the Kingdom tour, the little glimpse you get is pretty awesome... to me anyway!

Mecha Figment

quote]

College Dormitory is a good description. You did go past a break room. In fact, I sometimes have trouble navigating to the break room due to all the tour groups. Some days there are three or 4 groups all at once. The tour also takes you right past the Photopass office. When the door opens, peek in and you can see another non-glamorous 'cave' that serves as a base of operations. And the photopass base is right next to a storage room for...I believe...The Plaza Restaurant, but I could be wrong. It is some type of dry food/cutlery storage.

I just wonder what people are thinking while they are down there.

The characters use to be in a different location and that area use to be costuming for the rest of magic kingdom.

WDWRLD

We didnt see any character costumes, we only say where the CM,s first come into the tunnle system, swipe their cards and then we walked over to where they go and pick up their uniforms/costumes for their shift. We did go into hair and wig dept and saw someone getting their hair done to be snow white I believe.
This was in 1998.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom