Utilidor Stairways

Tom

Beta Return
Original Poster
I have a question for past and present MK Cast Members.....

I have one of the Cast Altas maps that they give to Cast Members. It shows the tunnel map, with all the staircases, and lists approximately where they come up in the park.

What I'm wondering is if one of you Cast Members could briefly let us know where they really come up. The MO 1 thru 8 staircases are obvious, because I've been in them on tours, but the others are vague (I'm sure for a reason), specifically:

#4 Liberty Square/Columbia Harbour House/Peter Pan
#10 Hall of Presidents (where? backstage?)
#16 Adventureland & Frontierland (in a bldg?)
#13 Liberty Square/Adventureland Veranda
#9 Fantasyland/Tomorrowland

Just curious really, because it seems like they'd be in places with direct access to outside, rather than deep in the middle of a building, for the characters more than anything. Well, if any of you Cast Members could help us out, I'd sure appreciate it :)

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
those are all located in upstairs backstage corridors and inside buildings. Direct access to the outside isn't always preferred, to minimize the chance of guests wandering backstage.

GaryT977

What's really kind stunning is just how ordinary everything looks backstage. It's really interesting to notice the change when you go from 'backstage' to 'on stage' when you take some of the tours.

Atta83

Well actaully walking any where in the tunnel by the trash :hurl: . lol but yeah also walking out to pirates location going behind those resturants and such the grease is slippery yikes :dazzle: .
Atta

xfkirsten

Originally posted by Atta83
Well actaully walking any where in the tunnel by the trash :hurl: . lol but yeah also walking out to pirates location going behind those resturants and such the grease is slippery yikes :dazzle: .
Atta

LOL! I used to have to walk through there every day... can't tell ya how many times I almost slipped and killed myself!!

-Kirsten

Tom

Beta Return
Original Poster
Originally posted by mkt
those are all located in upstairs backstage corridors and inside buildings. Direct access to the outside isn't always preferred, to minimize the chance of guests wandering backstage.

Yeah, that's kind of what I figured :) Also, I would refer to the MO staircases as ones that provide easy outside access, since they come up and you go through a sliding glass door and you're outside.

But for the ones like the one between Fantasyland and Tomorrowland - where does it come up? Where does the one come up in Hall of Presidents? How about Frontierland/Adventureland? Just curious - I dunno.....haha.

mkt

Premium Member
the ones between fantasyland/tomorrowland come up behind the Pooh ride/Snow Whites.. by the castle..

the hall of presidents one comes up backstage in the attraction

the frontierland/adventureland one comes up behind the agrabah marketplace

Tom

Beta Return
Original Poster
Originally posted by mkt
the ones between fantasyland/tomorrowland come up behind the Pooh ride/Snow Whites.. by the castle..

the hall of presidents one comes up backstage in the attraction

the frontierland/adventureland one comes up behind the agrabah marketplace

Cool, thanks!

So, when Characters make their appearances throughout the park, do they come up these staircases, into attractions, then go outside and come in through a gate? Or do they use certain stairs?

mkt

Premium Member
they use other staircases... entering through an attraction is a BIG no-no... also, not all character breakrooms are in the tunnel

GaryT977

Originally posted by xfkirsten
LOL! I used to have to walk through there every day... can't tell ya how many times I almost slipped and killed myself!!

I thought the trash went directly from cans, through tube and into some kind of disposal unit? That's what they said on the Keys to the Kingdom tour. :confused:

mkt

Premium Member
nope gary... the trash is collected, then dumped into a massive collection area.. then ZOOOOOOOOM it goes..

there is quite a bit of misinformation in Keys to the Kingdom

xfkirsten

Originally posted by GaryT977
I thought the trash went directly from cans, through tube and into some kind of disposal unit? That's what they said on the Keys to the Kingdom tour. :confused:

I'm talking about some of the grease that gets dumped back there... by the end of the night, that concrete is slick!

-Kirsten

Tom

Beta Return
Original Poster
Originally posted by mkt
they use other staircases... entering through an attraction is a BIG no-no... also, not all character breakrooms are in the tunnel

I see. Interesting. I figured they didn't just walk out the back door of some ride or attraction, HAHA - seemed silly.

Thanks for the info

Yen_Sid1

All the elevators there are used for restaurants and merchandise and most stairways are backstage.

The AVAC system runs almost around the tunnel area. It is like a big vacuum tube. So they are collection areas inside the park and they all get sucked out to the AVAC bldg near Splash Mtn.

BRau

On this subject you might be able to enlighten me, and help with a problem that has been vexing me for years. I, THINK, I remember seeing something that may, or may not, have existed many years ago. I was riding the stern-wheeler around Tom Sawyer's Island and the boathouse next to the old Mike Fink's landing was open, inside was a small modern boat. I suspect it was there to run things to Aunt Polly's, as this was in the days when that was still a restaurant. First, I believe this really happened and was not just a weird dream. But here is my question, since there is no way the Utilidors could connect to the island due to the need to tunnel below water level, I have a theory that there might have been a connection to the boat shed, this would be logical since it would be on the same level as the utilidor system, is on the side near the main entrance to the utilidors, on the north end of the park, and would allow items that needed to be carried to A.P.'s restaurant to be easily loaded into the boat then taken the extremely short trip across the river for delivery. I would love it if anyone who has ever been down in that area of the utilidors could tell me if I am even slightly right. Even if the utilidors don't connect to the boathouse, if you know if they ever kept a boat in there, for whatever reason, it would, at least, help me know that I didn't just imagine the whole thing. Thanks to anyone who can help. If you wish to contact me privately I can be reached at wdum@windstream.net

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom