Uso/ioa

MaXXimus

Original Poster
I will start off by saying "Please dont beat me up in here for asking this question"...

I have been to WDW 3 times, 4th coming June '07 and have never been to USO or IOA and honestly do not know ANYTHING about either other then what couple things I have read on their website. After reading some of the handfull of articles on here and the bashing that USO/IOA get I am wondering what to honestly expect from these parks with my family.

Are these parks that bad off that I should reconsider going to them or is most of this bashing really only because most of you are 100% diehard WDW fans? I would really like some honest unbashing feedback before I go ahead and order my tickets.

NemoRocks78

Seized
Premium Member
Are these parks that bad off that I should reconsider going to them or is most of this bashing really only because most of you are 100% diehard WDW fans? I would really like some honest unbashing feedback before I go ahead and order my tickets.

The bashing is definitely because of the diehards. I say give it a shot --- you may just like it.

kcnole

Give it a chance, I think you'll like it. Most of the bashes you read on here are highly ignorant. I have visited Universal 3 times this year already, my 4th will be the week after Christmas to see their Christmas decorations and parades. I love the park. I do think that Disney is better overall as a resort, but that's not to say that Universal is a run down six flags. They have some great attractions, (a few of them better than anything Disney has as well such as Spiderman or The Mummy). I have found that the staff and cleanliness is about as good as current Disney standards, and the rides are fun. Some of them need some work, but so do some of the attractions at Disney.

If you've never been you'll have a great time. So don't go looking for all these problems that some crazy obsessed Disney fans like to make up. Just go looking to have a good time and you will, I promise you.

MaXXimus

Original Poster
Thanks for all the honest replies and I know USO would never replace WDW or come close to its overall atmosphere or quality for that matter. I just didnt want to go there and be disappointed to the point that there was a bad taste left in my mouth... especially when the family has never been there or WDW... I want to be sure its as close to 100% enjoyable as possible.

stingrock23

I don't think you'll be disappointed. IOA has more thrills, but if you can get either a 1 or 2-day park "hopper" ticket, I think there will be plenty for your family to enjoy, and all of the attractions are top-notch.

themax

Sure you will really enjoy it Maxximus, one thing to consider if you do not mind me saying, the express pass allows one ride only on each attraction, so depending how many there are of you could cost a few $$, as they could cost $40 to $50 each, have you considered booking a room at a Universal resort for one night, can use your AAA for discount at the minute i think it runs at $191 plus tax, but if you check in early your first day you get unlimited express pass on the rides for the whole day , plus the next day as well to the park closes. So if there are 4 of you paying Approx $200 for express pass for 1 day,for the same price you could have unlimited rides for the 2 days at the same price, and you could use the room to relax in if you do not want to stay the night in it plus the facilites of the hotel;

disnyfan89

I would have to agree that they are both very good parks but not quite as good as Disney. MAXXimus what part of the year are you planing on visiting? I was there the first part of Christmas week and there was no one there! Im talking about walk ons all day. If you go during certin parts of the year you wouldn't even need the express passes. I find on a good day you can see and do almost everything you want at both parks in one day.

Theresonly1

I say go, they are different, I have always enjoyed them.

Now, here is my question....
I am going in March to WDW and plan on spending 1 day at uso--
Do you think that it is possible to do both sides in 1 day? (the major stuff, no kids so we are safe from the Play areas):lol: I have been before and always had 1 day at each park, but this year cannot do that. The person I am going with has never been to any of the parks (WDW or USO) so thought he might enjoy some of the things at each.
please let me know your thoughts!
Angie

cmatt

i love universal parks! - bearing in mind ive only been to three (one of them being in spain) and i loved every minute of it - i do think universal studios was pants now that there is no nickelodean studios left, as thats shrunk the park size, (well not really but it has taken away a few attractions)

both themeparks can be done in a day... when its not so busy as ive done it (and left the 5:30 gstar shuttle back to my hotel) fitting in hard rock cafe too!) the first day i did the parks - i did it in two - but could of done it in a one'r if i was bothering to put any effort into it (we were there the first day of our holiday)

kcnole

Personally I feel that USO beats MGM due to the fact that there is so much more to do there. You have the wonderful Jaws, a very fun Men In Black, Back to the Future is still running, The Revenge of the Mummy is one of the best rides in Orlando, Shrek is fun and the kids will love Jimmy Neutron, my all time favorite dark ride is ET which is there as well. You've also got several shows scattered around the park in the Blues Brothers, I Love Lucy Tribute band, THe horror makeup show, and T2 3D. There are also a few smaller attractions in Earthquake and Twister. The theming and ambiance at MGM is much much better, but I feel that Universal wins hands down in attractions currently.

hey there! i would say 100% for sure go to universal. disney has the theme and memories of childhood, but universal has awesome rides. honestly, disney's fastest/most thrilling ride doesn't even compare to that in IOA. and "themax", i'm pretty sure your wrong about the express pass. they might have changed it, but when we had it last january, you could only go on the same ride once an hour...not once a day. so when you go on, lets say, The Mummy, you have to wait another hour before entering it but right after you can go on a different ride. also, if i were you, i would consider buying the 2 park, unlimited admission ticket. you can enter both parks unlimited for 7 straight days, and its only $10 more than the 2 park/1 day pass. that way, if you really enjoy universal, you can come back! when i went in january during the offseason last year, it took me 3 days at universal and i still didn't get to see everything. you definately won't regret going to universal. i hope this helps!

cmatt

Its once a day for each ride - however they dont check (really) the ones who are actually bothered about it scan it or write on the pass...

not to worry about the latter, if the ink is still wet (they used gel pens when we were there) moisten your finger (no, that DOESNT mean gobbing on the ticket and making it sodden), and rub over the ink voilla! it comes off :sohappy:

also say you want to do both dueling dragons - just take your partners express pass and us it if she doesn't want to go on, and the queue attendant is the same person :wave: i was questioned and was let through :D

themax

hey there! i would say 100% for sure go to universal. disney has the theme and memories of childhood, but universal has awesome rides. honestly, disney's fastest/most thrilling ride doesn't even compare to that in IOA. and "themax", i'm pretty sure your wrong about the express pass. they might have changed it, but when we had it last january, you could only go on the same ride once an hour...not once a day. so when you go on, lets say, The Mummy, you have to wait another hour before entering it but right after you can go on a different ride. also, if i were you, i would consider buying the 2 park, unlimited admission ticket. you can enter both parks unlimited for 7 straight days, and its only $10 more than the 2 park/1 day pass. that way, if you really enjoy universal, you can come back! when i went in january during the offseason last year, it took me 3 days at universal and i still didn't get to see everything. you definately won't regret going to universal. i hope this helps!

Only one ride per attraction
http://www.universalorlando.com/uk/tic_details_express_popup.html

jorgetheviking

Personally I like Universal better than Disney so I say go and have a good time. Both parks are full day parks unlike MGM, Animal Kingdom, and Epcot. Magic Kingdom is disney's best! When you go make sure to get a Meal Deal so you can eat all day at select resturants. Its $19 for 1 park and $22 for both parks. Souvineer cups are $7 or you have to pay for drinks seperatley.
Make sure you see the Beetle Juice show I saw it for the first time not expecting much out of it and was just amazed at how good it really was. MIB kills Buzz Lightyear at MK. Back to the Future is the best simulaed ride ever(excluding Spider-man)It just needs new screens. See the Horror Makeup Show. I like Universal Studios more than Islands of Adventure because it just has a better atmosphere. Terminator 2 is a must see. Everything there is a must see. Take your time and enjoy both parks.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom