Using Hotel Exchange in Interval International

Sunni9998

Original Poster
I have a question about Interval International's Hotel Exchange.

My Step FIL has only used it once and it didn't go well (he booked a hotel in Mexico for his Stepson - come to find out, it was an all-inclusive and that part was NOT included with the points exchange so stepson ended up paying for everything else and it was unexpected - BUT that was partially his fault for not researching too.)

But anyhow!

Between my husband and I and my in-laws (2 contracts in only their name, 2 contracts they added our names to and Blue Card eligible) we have 118 2021 Banked points that are going to expire on November 30th of this year. Trips have already been taken and/or planned for this year and no one will be able to use the points before they expire.

We are going to Lake George, NY next year for a long weekend and talked to my in laws and figured they could transfer the expiring points into Interval International for us to use for a hotel in July 2024 rather than them expiring. (We know it's not a good use of points, but renting doesn't interest them (they are 83 & 81), and they have always used them as they see fit - WDW and cruises). FIL called Member Services today and they told him that he COULD NOT transfer the points into Interval to use for the Hotel Exchange with trip dates next year. He was told that if he transferred points today and left them there, he was only allowed to use the Vacation Exchange in the future. Is this correct?

What would be the point of Interval International if you HAVE to use the Vacation Exchange unless you are ready right now to book a hotel? (Our dates aren't even available to book, they are only showing dates through late June - we need mid-July) We only need a few hotel nights, not a weeks' vacation.

If we make a Hotel Exchange reservation BEFORE the points expire in November, for July 2024 - can we do that? What are our options at this point?

Does anyone have more knowledge on this? I will do some digging to see what I can find, but it's a little disappointing that you can't transfer the points before they expire and use them for both Hotel and Vacation Exchange for the additional couple of years they add.

Thank you!

nickys

Premium Member
I can’t help with Interval.

However you say you have other trips booked for this year. Are any of them before those banked points expire? If so, you might be able to switch the points used, leaving current points available to bank (I think you have until Monday to bank for a December use year).

It depends of course when these other trips are for, when they were booked, what points they use and any restrictions. But I just thought I’d make the suggestion in case you hadn’t thought of it.

Sunni9998

Original Poster
I can’t help with Interval.

However you say you have other trips booked for this year. Are any of them before those banked points expire? If so, you might be able to switch the points used, leaving current points available to bank (I think you have until Monday to bank for a December use year).

It depends of course when these other trips are for, when they were booked, what points they use and any restrictions. But I just thought I’d make the suggestion in case you hadn’t thought of it.

Thank you for the suggestion. :) They all actually used or are using the rest of the banked points from 2021. We are already banking our full Dec 2022 UY points into Dec 2023 UY. (My in-laws were always a year behind and NEVER borrowed points, only banked so they have basically been using the points the year after their actual use year and almost always bank the current year.)

JaxFLBear

Likely the reason why MS is saying no is that DVC may actually have to pay the hotel cash for that particular type of exchange. If this is the case, DVC would have to make a cash reservation available before those points expire and then use the proceeds from that reservation to cover the II hotel exchange.

This type of II reservation appears to be the same as using points for a non DVC Resort at Disney or a Disney Cruise for which DVC has negotiated a cash rate that they must pay for the exchange.

Sunni9998

Original Poster
Likely the reason why MS is saying no is that DVC may actually have to pay the hotel cash for that particular type of exchange. If this is the case, DVC would have to make a cash reservation available before those points expire and then use the proceeds from that reservation to cover the II hotel exchange.

This type of II reservation appears to be the same as using points for a non DVC Resort at Disney or a Disney Cruise for which DVC has negotiated a cash rate that they must pay for the exchange.
Thank you. Lots to learn about Interval! So very confusing lol

nickys

Premium Member
Thank you. Lots to learn about Interval! So very confusing lol
I found the RCI site very confusing when I deposited points in it one time. I couldn’t fathom out how it worked and how to book, and ended up calling instead. I haven’t had a need to look at Interval yet.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom