Using FP With Rider Swap

nickys

Premium Member
My opinion on this depends on how exactly the child swap works...

I would have assumed that both adults would enter the line (and scan fastpasses, if applicable) together and wait in line together until boarding. At that point, I assumed one adult & the child(ren) who aren't riding would wait in a designated place near the loading area and then swap immediately after the first group has ridden. In other words, you all wait in the line together, just once, and the second group boards immediately after the first group is done.

But it sounds like how it actually works is that you get the rider switch pass before you enter the line? And then the second person still has to go through the FP line? If that's the case, I wouldn't feel at all bad using this "strategy", since you're essentially waiting in the FP line twice and not saving any time compared to just riding in two separate groups. And for a couple with only one child, no one is riding twice, so there's no benefit at all (when using FPs).

The first way makes more sense, if the point is to not make your party wait in line twice. I know it might not work logistically for some rides, like RNRC or TOT, where you load and unload in different places, but it seems like more often than not, it would be fine.

I'd appreciate if someone could confirm which way it works, since we're taking our baby for the first time in September!

You get rider switch before you go through the line. You all need to be there to get it.

meggo819

You get rider switch before you go through the line. You all need to be there to get it.

Yeah, I guess that makes sense under either of my scenarios. I guess my key question is, does the second person/group wait in the FP line also? Or do they get to bypass it somehow (for example, by going via the exit or the handicapped line)? If we still have to wait in the FP line a second time, the child swap is no help at all to us when using FPs.

Coaster Lover

In the Parks
No
I guess my key question is, does the second person/group wait in the FP line also? Or do they get to bypass it somehow (for example, by going via the exit or the handicapped line)? If we still have to wait in the FP line a second time, the child swap is no help at all to us when using FPs.

When you ask for Rider Swap, what they physically hand you is a paper FastPass that says "Rider Swap: good for up to three (3) guests". The returning guests enter through the FastPass line.

Rider swap w/o FP isn't an issue. The trick is using Rider Swap to effectively double your FPs. Mom gets FPs for one set of attractions, Dad gets them for a different set and then thanks to Rider Swap Mom and Dad get to experience all the attractions without anyone ever waiting in stand-by. I think it's sketchy, but if Disney is going to allow it I can't really blame anyone for gaming the system.

If all of the children are tall enough to ride and willing to ride, and this is just a case of Mom + Child 1 + Child 2 ride all using a FP, then Dad (without a FP) + Child 1 + Child 2 come back to ride again with the Child Swap Pass, then yes, I agree, gaming the system. However, if (at least) one of the children are not tall enough to ride or are unwilling to ride and this is a case of Mom + Child 1 ride using a FastPass while Dad sits off with Child 2, then Dad (without a FP)+ Child 1 come back to ride again with the Child Swap Pass while Mom sits off watching Child 2, than I am more okay with it. Even with a FP, getting through an attraction can take 20-30 mins. Double that to allow time for both groups to ride and you have a non-riding kid waiting 40-60 mins while those who want to/can ride.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom