1. Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.
    Dismiss Notice

Using FP With Rider Swap

Discussion in 'Using MyMagic+, FastPass+ and My Disney Experience' started by lebeau, May 2, 2017.

1. lebeau

lebeau Well-Known Member

Hey all,

A coworker of mine is trying to game the system and I have concerns that it might blow up in her face. She has split her FP reservations so that half her family has FPs for one attraction and the other half has FPs for a different attraction. Then she is planning to use Rider Swap so the whole family can ride both rides. For example, she has FPs for herself and some of her kids for Test Track. They ask to use Rider Swap so her husband can reride with the kids. Then, her husband has FPs for Soarin'. Repeat the process there.

I told her I didn't think Disney would allow for such an exploit. Should she change her FP reservations or did she find a loophole?

2. LuvtheGoof

LuvtheGoof Proud DVC Member Premium Member

I thought rider swap was only for one person, not an entire family.

ETA: According to the official WDW website:

If the person in Party 2 waited alone with the child, he or she may bring one other Guest back to ride the attraction with him or her. Please note that only 2 Guests are allowed per Rider Switch Pass.

3. lebeau

lebeau Well-Known Member Original Poster

Apparently this plan was documented at a site called *************.

http://*************.com/wp-content/uploads/riderswitchpinterest1.png

Edit: That site appears to be blocked. I also found this blurb at Touring Plans:

That makes it sound pretty legit

Last edited: May 2, 2017
  4. jlsHouston

jlsHouston Well-Known Member

We use the crap out of your friends method. I feel whatever "gaming" we do is legitimate because waiting around or wandering around with an under 38" tall person ain't no walk in the park so to speak.

5. Cosmic Commando

Cosmic Commando Well-Known Member

We did this. As long as you have somebody who can't or won't ride a ride with Rider Swap, it's completely within the rules. If you're pretending someone doesn't want to ride (to get the pass), but sneaking them on later... I'd have a problem with that plan.

Edit: That Touring Plans blurb makes it sound like you need a FP to use Rider Switch. You don't; you can ride standby, and get a pass so the rest of your party can go through the FP queue later.

Double edit: The website always says two people per pass, but in my experience, the pass itself actually allows three.

Last edited: May 4, 2017
    jlsHouston likes this.
  6. jlsHouston

Yes it is 3. Or at least it still was last November.

Cosmic Commando likes this.
  7. helenabear

helenabear Well-Known Member

It was 3 on 7DMT just over a month ago too

[​IMG]

jlsHouston likes this.
  8. lebeau

Rider swap w/o FP isn't an issue. The trick is using Rider Swap to effectively double your FPs. Mom gets FPs for one set of attractions, Dad gets them for a different set and then thanks to Rider Swap Mom and Dad get to experience all the attractions without anyone ever waiting in stand-by. I think it's sketchy, but if Disney is going to allow it I can't really blame anyone for gaming the system.

9. jlsHouston

I don't really consider it gaming the system. You might not be waiting in stand-by but you are waiting somewhere with that under 38" tall child. Figure every premium ride even with FP takes at least 30 minutes to get on and complete. You are standing by with that child for at least 30 minutes most of the time. For rides like SPACE, EE, RNRC, ToT, TT, and SOARIN you are waiting closer to 45 minutes . You experience plenty of standby. There is no trick to doubling FP rides, you can theoretically triple them if you start at park opening and stay in the park until close or in the smaller parks until there are no more available FP's for a ride. The only gain with the Rider Swap ticket generally is for the older kids in a travel party that includes a young one under 38" tall. The older kids are usually the ones that end up riding an attraction twice, once with their FP and the other time with the rider swap ticket with the other adult.

10. Tebo

Tebo Member

Just got back and used rider swap with FP in Epcot and Magic Kingdom. The only problem we had was for Frozen ever after ride. Me and My son had fastpasses for it while my wife and daughter ( age 2) did not. We all went up to the fastpass entrance and I requested a rider swap saying my daughter did not want to ride as she did not like dark rides. They did not give us one ( it does say on the Disney website that Frozen ever after does offer it.) They said that if we all had fast pass then me and my son could ride then my wife could ride while I was waiting with my kids. That kind of goes against the point of the rider swap. So I don't know if it these attendants where told to do this or if this was their decision to treat it like this, or that they just did not know. We were very disappointed on how this was handled. Every other ride gave us riderswaps. Some ask to see the child who was not riding.

lebeau likes this.
  11. lebeau

Of course it is gaming the system. Not Rider Swap. That's totally above board. But splitting your FP's so that the adults double up is not how the system was intended to work. If Disney's not going to close that loophole, by all means, take advantage. But no matter how much standby you may experience using this method, it's less standby then other people who are not doubling up on FP's by gaming the system.

I have kids. The idea that someone is entitled to do this because they took their kids to Disney World (an argument my friend also made) mystifies me. Look around. There's a lot of people with kids there. I'm not going to lay a guilt trip on anyone for doing something Disney allows. I personally wouldn't do it, but that's because I'd be worried Disney would decide to close the loophole on us. I don't see it as an ethical issue since you're not breaking any rules.

12. lebeau

That's what I was looking for. It seems like this approach works the majority of the time but there could be an issue.

Quite some time ago, we all had FPs for Test Track. We weren't trying anything funny to double up FP's. Everyone had one including my youngest who didn't want to ride. We asked to do a rider swap and the castmembers acted like we were up to something. Someone told us we couldn't do it, someone else said we could. There was a lot of confusion. Eventually it all worked out for us. (Sorry it didn't work out for you.) But it does seem like there is some risk involved if you split you FP reservations up and plan to let everyone ride by combining FP with Rider Swap. The risk seems to be minimal, but it is there.

13. Cosmic Commando

Cosmic Commando Well-Known Member

Sometimes cast members honestly just don't have a good handle on what's going on. I was using the dining plan almost a full year after they came out with that policy where you could substitute snack credit items for desserts at counter service restaurants. It worked great, but the one cashier at the restaurant next to the princess MnG in Fantasyland looked at me like I was crazy and didn't want to do it. Sometimes you run into things like that when you're doing something unusual, even if it's completely above-board.

lebeau likes this.
  14. Jared Augustine

Jared Augustine New Member

Rider Swap can work that way. We had to show the child that was unable to ride the attraction. They than gave us a rider swap card that was good for up to three people. I asked why for three people? The cast member told me that three people can usually ride the attraction in the same row. (3 to a seat). The Rider swap card doesn't have to be used the same day. It was a great tool to utilize when a child is not tall enough for a ride.