Using FastPass+ Means You Can't Get A Regular FastPass?

Skippy's Pal

Original Poster
There was a small side-comment in a recent thread on FP+ tha seems to have gone uncommented-on: basically that of you're in the parks on FP+, you're unable to get a regular FP. Does anyone know anything about this? If true, this seems pretty ugly: so in between my pre-scheduled FP+ "experiences," if I want to take in another attraction, I have to wait in the long, non-FP line? Doesn't the Mouse want me free to be spending money somewhere?

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
That would seem to make sense. If you make reservations via FP+ that is your allocation of FP attractions. Just like the current system, anything else will be standby. Going forward conventional FP will be eliminated anyway.

Mad Stitch

Going forward conventional FP will be eliminated anyway.

What! I thought FP+ was going to be in addition to FP. So in the future all FP’s must be made in advance of a park visit? Wouldn’t that mean you also need to book your stay through Disney in order to use the system? There has been so much talk about FP lately I can’t keep up.

valenrandy

So for example, If on an upcoming trip my wife and I will use our AP's (staying at S&D)and the rest of our family
has tickets on their KTTW (staying at Pop) we will in esence have to go in through different gates(turnstiles) at the park and have to use different fastpass machines(FP or FP+) at each ride correct?

Thanks!

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
So for example, If on an upcoming trip my wife and I will use our AP's (staying at S&D)and the rest of our family
has tickets on their KTTW (staying at Pop) we will in esence have to go in through different gates(turnstiles) at the park and have to use different fastpass machines(FP or FP+) at each ride correct?

Thanks!
If you were to go right now, you could all use the RFID turnstile, but your AP would be manually scanned with a handheld reader by a cast member. The rest of the family with key to the world cards will use the RFID reader. Alternatively, if you don't mind splitting up, you could use a conventional turnstile. Once your AP is converted (sometime in the future), you will use the RFID entrance. Ultimately all of the turnstiles will be converted.

FP+ is currently optional for those invited to the test. You don't have to take part, so all could use regular FP.

valenrandy

Thanks Steve, going on friday and wanted to see how I would handle this new system as I am the FP runner, I'll have 2 APs and 6 KTTW..... Wanted to know if I can still put the KTTW in the old FP machines so I wont risk getting different return times. From what im reading here it seems that is the case for now.

Thanks!

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Thanks Steve, going on friday and wanted to see how I would handle this new system as I am the FP runner, I'll have 2 APs and 6 KTTW..... Wanted to know if I can still put the KTTW in the old FP machines so I wont risk getting different return times. From what im reading here it seems that is the case for now.

Thanks!
The current round of FASTPASS+ testing is over now, so you will all be using regular FP.
http://www.wdwmagic.com/other/fastp...xpands-to-disney's-hollywood-studios-next.htm

Hope you have a great trip!

ParentsOf4

flynnibus

Premium Member
What! I thought FP+ was going to be in addition to FP. So in the future all FP’s must be made in advance of a park visit? Wouldn’t that mean you also need to book your stay through Disney in order to use the system? There has been so much talk about FP lately I can’t keep up.

Once the real system is live.. once you transition to the paperless ticket system - you won't be able to use traditional FP machines. Speculation is that regular FP will only exist as a transitional thing.. to be phased out later once the full FP+/paperless system is fully rolled out.

majortom1981

When I went in October and tested fastpass+ our fastpass+ cards were separate from our tickets so we were able to get regular fastpasses as well.

Weather they change this for launch will have to wait and see.

flynnibus

Premium Member
When I went in October and tested fastpass+ our fastpass+ cards were separate from our tickets so we were able to get regular fastpasses as well.

Weather they change this for launch will have to wait and see.

The Terms of Service for the new program already answer this. Once you go Paperless/RFID - you can't use the FP machines and your old tickets will no longer work for the machines either.

It worked in your case because it was just a testing phase.

Skippy's Pal

Original Poster
Once the real system is live.. once you transition to the paperless ticket system - you won't be able to use traditional FP machines. Speculation is that regular FP will only exist as a transitional thing.. to be phased out later once the full FP+/paperless system is fully rolled out.

So my original premise seems correct: Other than the 4 (or so) pre-reserved FP+ "experiences," for the rest of that day - or any other day - getting on any other attraction will be like things were before the introduction of FastPass years ago-- waiting in hour-long lines? Say under FP+ I've chosen Test Track at 1 and Soarin at 4 -- in between times my ability to get into anything else will depend on how the lines are? Put more bluntly: during a peak day, FP+ will effectively limit me to 2 "experiences" in an afternoon?

flynnibus

Premium Member
Put more bluntly: during a peak day, FP+ will effectively limit me to 2 "experiences" in an afternoon?

Well normally you are limited to one every 2hrs or so.. so is it radically different? No. Is it different? Yes..

But if you've believed the anti-FP people.. lines will magically be shorter :)

donsullivan

Premium Member
Has anyone seen anything published about how FP+ will impact a local AP holder who is not staying at a Disney Resort once it's fully deployed. Absent any other information I've seen, it seems that if you're not staying at a Disney Resort and/or are an AP holder who lives locally you will no longer have access to FP at all. That may not be true but I can't seem to find any information to suggest otherwise right now.

wedenterprises

Well normally you are limited to one every 2hrs or so.. so is it radically different? No. Is it different? Yes..

But if you've believed the anti-FP people.. lines will magically be shorter :)

I am anti-FP, however I remain optimistic because it seems the following will occur (correct me if i'm wrong):

No more FP1.0 as we know it.
FP+ takes over
Guests are allowed a strict amount of FPs per stay/per day.
Therefore less FPs overall are given out than would be available under FP1.0 (? seems that way?)
Guests are "guaranteed" to see their favourite rides, so FP still works marketing wise.
Fewer FPs overall mean faster moving stand-by lines.
FPs can be changed closer to the ate, or on the fly via smartphone.
Line wait times can be checked via smartphone.
No more running around the park checking wait times and grabbing FPs.

This leads me to believe that FP+ could be a better system overall. Although I hate the idea of having to schedule things and carry an iPhone around... first world problems.

lazyboy97o

So my original premise seems correct: Other than the 4 (or so) pre-reserved FP+ "experiences," for the rest of that day - or any other day - getting on any other attraction will be like things were before the introduction of FastPass years ago-- waiting in hour-long lines? Say under FP+ I've chosen Test Track at 1 and Soarin at 4 -- in between times my ability to get into anything else will depend on how the lines are? Put more bluntly: during a peak day, FP+ will effectively limit me to 2 "experiences" in an afternoon?
The whole point of FatPass to begin with was not that you'd experience other attractions, but shop and dine. And I wholly expect Stand-By waits to increase, that's why they're getting filled with interactive elements to keep you occupied.

CaptainShortty

During the testing phases both FP and FP+ will be available (to those that are part of the test phase). Eventually FP+ will be the only FP system and the current system will go away. That being said, there is more to the FP+ system that has yet to be released (that I cannot disclose) that will make it more appealing to those who are completely against the FP+ pre-order concept.

Keep in mind that the full conversion of FP+ (and NextGen in general) is going to take a while to reach all types of ticket media (ex. day tkts, KTTW, Annual Passholders, CM tkts, Event and Convention tkts, etc.)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom