Using Disney Visa Reward Points

Takeitforgranite

Original Poster
We’ve been using the points at WDW for over 10 years, and we have $2000 for our trip this month.

Today, I preordered our magic bands, and there wasn’t an option to use points. I didn’t see the option when I booked our character breakfast a couple months ago. I’m getting concerned that we won’t be able to use on everything on the trip, because we were planning to have enough points to pay for food and maybe some lighting lane.

Has anyone had any trouble using their redemption cards at WDW?

Hcalvert

I just used my redemption card on my last trip that ended two weeks ago. You just use it as your payment method at the restaurant or in a park store. All dining reservations require a credit card so that they can charge you if you don't show up. Your credit card will not be charged unless you use that as your payment method at the restaurant. Also, FYI: the app allowed me to add it to purchase merchandise for mobile checkout. If I remember correctly, you can add it as a payment method for quick service as well. I didn't eat quick service during my last trip, but I believe that has not changed. I didn't use LL either.

correcaminos

I just used my redemption card on my last trip that ended two weeks ago. You just use it as your payment method at the restaurant or in a park store. All dining reservations require a credit card so that they can charge you if you don't show up. Your credit card will not be charged unless you use that as your payment method at the restaurant. Also, FYI: the app allowed me to add it to purchase merchandise for mobile checkout. If I remember correctly, you can add it as a payment method for quick service as well. I didn't eat quick service during my last trip, but I believe that has not changed. I didn't use LL either.
All of this! It can be used to pay. Even last year one was able to fortunately. Prior to that we just went daily to pay down our magic band purchases. You cannot add it like a credit card. So for things like gift or rewards cards, I suggest an unnamed or secure file with the number in text so you can just copy and paste it in for mobile purchases. For the rest just hand it over like any card.

Br0ckford

Just got back Wednesday from WDW and used the redemption card for all the Epcot food booths. Also my Disney Visa got us complimentary pics with 50th Mickey and Goofy.

graphite1326

We’ve been using the points at WDW for over 10 years, and we have $2000 for our trip this month.

Today, I preordered our magic bands, and there wasn’t an option to use points. I didn’t see the option when I booked our character breakfast a couple months ago. I’m getting concerned that we won’t be able to use on everything on the trip, because we were planning to have enough points to pay for food and maybe some lighting lane.

The last three trips I just used them for our flights.

Raxel7851

A few years ago, pre Covid, my AP discount wasn’t honored at Chicken Guy’s when they first opened. Maybe the person checking me out didn’t know for sure. But other than that, we’ve had good luck with it.

brifraz

Marching along...
Premium Member

As others have mentioned, Reward Points are still accepted pretty universally at the parks and at most places at Disney Springs as well. I don't think they will let you use it for the pre-payment on dining, but I was very happy to see that you can now use it for Mobile ordering. We also didn't try to use it for Genie Plus, but it might now be an option for that as well?? Generally, we tend to use MagicBands to pay for everything and then use all our points to settle up our room on the day before we check out.

Takeitforgranite

Original Poster
Generally, we tend to use MagicBands to pay for everything and then use all our points to settle up our room on the day before we check out.

We've been 5 or so times since the introduction of magicbands, but I've never bothered to try to use them as payment. I was mainly under the impression that they were just tied to a CC that your have to put on file at the resort. We always have redemption cards and gift cards, so we just use those one at a time.

I'm always looking to simplify things, so the idea of using MBs at the parks whenever possible sounds great. We have 3 redemption cards, and several gift cards that I'd rather not have to manage on a daily basis. I'm just afraid that the resort will charge the purchases to my CC.

How does it work, exactly? Can you put a redemption card on file at the resort, or does it have to be a CC? How often to they apply charges to your CC? Daily? At checkout? We have a significant amount of points, and I want to be sure we use them all before putting anything on a CC.

brifraz

Marching along...
Premium Member
We've been 5 or so times since the introduction of magicbands, but I've never bothered to try to use them as payment. I was mainly under the impression that they were just tied to a CC that your have to put on file at the resort. We always have redemption cards and gift cards, so we just use those one at a time.

I'm always looking to simplify things, so the idea of using MBs at the parks whenever possible sounds great. We have 3 redemption cards, and several gift cards that I'd rather not have to manage on a daily basis. I'm just afraid that the resort will charge the purchases to my CC.

How does it work, exactly? Can you put a redemption card on file at the resort, or does it have to be a CC? How often to they apply charges to your CC? Daily? At checkout? We have a significant amount of points, and I want to be sure we use them all before putting anything on a CC.

Depends a bit on how long you stay. I believe (and I'm not going to say this is gospel) that for stays less than 5 days, they only apply charges to the credit card on your last night, but for longer stays they apply charges at the middle of the stay. If you actually do in-person check in when you arrive, the CMs should be able to tell you when your card will be charged (or possibly find a manager who can figure it out) and then you just need to stop by the front desk the day before and have all the charges applied to your Rewards Points. Now that you can use Rewards Points to pay for Mobile Order in the MDE app, we will likely move to doing most of our quick service meals that way or with the actual Rewards card at Table Service. And somewhat cut Magic Bands out of our equation a bit (our daughter already moved to doing everything with her phone - tickets, room key, etc.).

correcaminos

Depends a bit on how long you stay. I believe (and I'm not going to say this is gospel) that for stays less than 5 days, they only apply charges to the credit card on your last night, but for longer stays they apply charges at the middle of the stay. If you actually do in-person check in when you arrive, the CMs should be able to tell you when your card will be charged (or possibly find a manager who can figure it out) and then you just need to stop by the front desk the day before and have all the charges applied to your Rewards Points. Now that you can use Rewards Points to pay for Mobile Order in the MDE app, we will likely move to doing most of our quick service meals that way or with the actual Rewards card at Table Service. And somewhat cut Magic Bands out of our equation a bit (our daughter already moved to doing everything with her phone - tickets, room key, etc.).
I've been told it is financial limits. They've varied over time. So once you spend $500 you get charged for example. Before you could pay for mobile ordering with the card, or if we ran into an issue using the card and used our band, we'd just go down to pay off the charges every night. But yes, a CM at the front desk can help determine their policy no matter what. Even if you check in online, you can ask and find the policy.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
You can use it pretty much anywhere and most importantly through the app.

You can also charge to the room and pay it off that evening with relative ease using the redemption card.

Have fun…bring extra fluids 🥃

Takeitforgranite

Original Poster
We will be staying 10 days. Everyone was excited about getting MB, and the kids are getting old enough to earn some independence. So, if they want to run grab a churro, I won’t have to wait in line with them or dig out some other form of payment.

Thanks for the info. I’ll just clear everything at the front desk. At least I have some info to work with now.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom