Using CPAP Machines in POFQ Rooms

kirinan

My husband and I are going to WDW in November, and staying at POFQ, as we have done several times before. What's different is, this time we'll be going down there with our shiny new CPAP machines and masks for our recently-diagnosed sleep apnea. My question is (and I knew if anyone would know this, it would be you guys), is there an empty outlet near enough to the bed in the FQ rooms where we can both hook up our machines with the aid of a power strip/extension cord? It's not something we've ever paid attention to on our previous visits, because...well, we never needed to.

If no one knows here, I'll call the resort, but I thought I'd go to the experts first. ;) The machines need to be fairly close to us because the hoses to the masks we use are only a little over 6 feet long. And now that we're hoseheads, we need to take the machines with us when we travel to get a good night's sleep. Luckily, we're driving down, so we can easily take whatever we need as far as cords or power strips.

Thanks!

P.S. This is my first time starting a thread, so I hope I'm doing this right and in the right topic area.

mickeypal1

yes, there are outlets on both sides. My husband and I both have cpap machines and we just returned from there. You need to put a chair on one side of the room for the second machine. Happy sleeping!

Upvote 0

kirinan

Original Poster
Thank you, mickeypal1; it makes us feel much better to know that. We're so looking forward to visiting WDW clear-eyed and feeling great after a good night's sleep for probably the first time ever! :snore:

Upvote 0

Cubs Brian

I also use a CPAP machine and when in doubt I always bring a small extension cord with me a multi outlet cord that's bbout 6 ft. long .They take up very little space( in fact I pack them in my CPAP case). I'm trying to get my insurance to pay for one of the dental CPAP devises so traveling will be a bit more convient

Upvote 0

Phonedave

I used to use one (I no longer need to) and used it in a number of WDW resorts.

I never had a problem with outlets being close enough.

-dave

Upvote 0

mickeypal1

No problem, glad I could help. Make sure you remember all the parts to your machine. :fork: In June, when we went, I forgot the cord to the machine! Thankfully, I have a wonderful neighbor who overnighted it to me.
Bringing an extra power strip is a good thing to do when traveling. Most of the time there are outlets on both sides of the bed. Sometimes they are too far away.

Upvote 0

kverdon

I've used my CPAP at POFQ and a number of Disney World Hotels without any problem. You may have to unplug the bedside clock to get a free outlet but that is about all.

Except....! Make VERY sure to note on your reservation that you have CPAP devices and need continuous power during the night.

You are technically travelling during Hurricane season. One thing we found our the hard way is that Disney has to do Florida State mandatory emergency power drills for all of their hotels during Hurricane Season. We returned to our room late one evening (10-11pm) to find a blinking message light on our phone. The message said that they were running an emergency power drill for the hotel for the evening and that there would be NO lights and NO Power, except for the emergency hall lights, from between 1am and 5am that night. This was at the Beach Club. Fortunately I HAD noted on the reservation that I had a CPAP and needed a smoke free room with power for the night. The Beach Club Manager appologised and told us that they had missed the notation on the reservation, were out of battery power units and could not get one over before the power outage. Because we had noted the need on the reservation they moved us next door for the night to the Yacht Club and gave us the night's stay for free.

Have a great trip,

Kevin

Upvote 0

Kristamouse

My husband uses one as well and while he might be able to go with out it, I can't too noisy:) Anyway thanks for the heads up about noting this in our reservation, will do.
Just an FYI for anyone else you can also use them with no issue in the Values as well.
Oh and CPAP are sleep masks/machines for thoose with serious sleep apena or snoring issues, hence me not being able to sleep if my husband is not wearing it.

Upvote 0

stlbobby

A bit off topic, but this tip might help too. CPAP machines, and other medical devices, can be carried on an airplane and not count towards your allotted two carry-ons.

I know the OP said they were driving, but I figured I throw it out there for other travelers.

Upvote 0

Cubs Brian

I've never heard of a dental CPAP device, bri2106@sbcglob. Slightly off topic, but would you mind elaborating on what this is?
It's very similar to a mouthpiece that athletes use. It works by somehow adjusting the way your jaw is lined up and pulls your upper jaw forward somehow. I drive a tanker truck for a living and when I get the DOT physical every 2 yrs. I have to show the DR a computerized printout of my cpap usage so the dental one would be a permanent solution in my case but I could use it short term.

Upvote 0

diebolds

cpap

We share a room with my sister and brother-in-law. My wife is the only one in the room who does not use a cpap. She feels left out. We have not had any problems with our machines at All-Star Music where we usually stay. We use bottled water for the week we are there and it doesn't seem to bother the machine or us. We will now let Disney know about our cpap useage. We have never done that before but will now. Thanks for the info. Bill

Upvote 0

kirinan

Original Poster
Wow, that's a really good thing to know about the power outages, Kevin. Thank you so much. I'll make sure to note it on our reservations now. And thanks for the info on the dental CPAP, bri2106@sbcglob. I had never heard of that, but little by little, I'm finding out there's a big wide interesting world where CPAP is concerned.

And thank you to everyone else who responded, as well!

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom