Useless PIN code today

docdebbi

Got a PIN code today applicable to my October trip- (my dates were blocked out for free dining)- and it was totally USELESS. I don't know if that is because there was a 6 hour delay between the time it was sent and the time I saw it, so everything good was gone, or because it was a come on.

I am booked at Port Orleans Riverside in a garden view room. The only rooms at a moderate that were available were the specialty rooms- Royalty rooms at PO or Pirate Rooms at CBR, or Coronado Springs. All rooms available would have cost me more after the "discount" than i currently am paying for a room. Don't see this as a discount, but I suspect folks less aware of what things do and should cost, can get caught in this trap.

Actually pretty annoying if those are the only rooms included in moderate category, or if there were so few of the other rooms that they were all gone in 6 hours. Either way, I feel Disney is not being real honest about this deal.......

Sort of like the free dining that was all gone in a few hours this week!
Thanks for letting me vent.

Tinkerbella16

I am so confused as to how there is already limited availability. I know they set aside a block of rooms just for these pin code offers but really??? They were just sent out TODAY and not everyone gets them!!!! I am booked in a royal room so I am hoping if they roll out the room discounts to the general public soon, I hope I don't have a problem since these rooms are difficult to fill at POR. I keep checking my email for a pin lol nothing! Sorry you couldn't even use it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

dploew

I was able to use today's code, but spent a good hour searching and then giving my travel agent info on what I needed. Searching 12/6 - 12/10 resulted in nothing being available at Wilderness Lodge, but searching 12/6 - 12/8 and the 12/8-12/10 revealed the same room type (Courtyard view w/ bunk beds) for $275.10/night. So basically, my agent had to call Disney reservations, but was able to combine 4 separate searches -- 12/5 (1 night), 12/6 (2 nights), 12/8 (2 nights); and 12/10 (1 night) into a single reservation for 6 nights. A pool view room was available in POR using the same method, but we decided to treat ourselves a bit. Happy hunting!

Upvote 0

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Got a PIN code today applicable to my October trip- (my dates were blocked out for free dining)- and it was totally USELESS. I don't know if that is because there was a 6 hour delay between the time it was sent and the time I saw it, so everything good was gone, or because it was a come on.

I am booked at Port Orleans Riverside in a garden view room. The only rooms at a moderate that were available were the specialty rooms- Royalty rooms at PO or Pirate Rooms at CBR, or Coronado Springs. All rooms available would have cost me more after the "discount" than i currently am paying for a room. Don't see this as a discount, but I suspect folks less aware of what things do and should cost, can get caught in this trap.

Actually pretty annoying if those are the only rooms included in moderate category, or if there were so few of the other rooms that they were all gone in 6 hours. Either way, I feel Disney is not being real honest about this deal.......

Sort of like the free dining that was all gone in a few hours this week!
Thanks for letting me vent.
I wish there was a nice way to describe this, but there is not so I will be blunt and let the chips fall where they may.

Disney has zero incentive to discount a room they have already sold you. They do however have an incentive to get you to upgrade to a more expensive room that remains unsold, hence the PIN code.

Upvote 0

docdebbi

Original Poster
I wish there was a nice way to describe this, but there is not so I will be blunt and let the chips fall where they may.

Disney has zero incentive to discount a room they have already sold you. They do however have an incentive to get you to upgrade to a more expensive room that remains unsold, hence the PIN code.

as usual @Master Yoda , I agree with you completely. however, this has not been their practice until recently. I have always been able to find a discount and apply it to an existing reservation. I think Disney knew all along that people book these reservations (for the advantage of earlier ADRs), with the intent of a discount eventually being applied and were OK with it, because they know a lot of us wouldn't go without one, or would book a level lower.

however, with the increased ability (or so it seems) of Disney to get people through the doors no matter what or how little they offer as incentive, I fear this is a model of the past.

And btw, Disney did not know that I had an existing reservation when they sent this PIN. I had to go through several levels of customer service for someone to realize that this was sent based on an old address and phone number, and apply the discount to my current account/info. At first they even told me that I couldn't even use the PIN because it was for the other/old info, I had to convince them that I am me!

Upvote 0

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
as usual @Master Yoda , I agree with you completely. however, this has not been their practice until recently. I have always been able to find a discount and apply it to an existing reservation. I think Disney knew all along that people book these reservations (for the advantage of earlier ADRs), with the intent of a discount eventually being applied and were OK with it, because they know a lot of us wouldn't go without one, or would book a level lower.

however, with the increased ability (or so it seems) of Disney to get people through the doors no matter what or how little they offer as incentive, I fear this is a model of the past.

And btw, Disney did not know that I had an existing reservation when they sent this PIN. I had to go through several levels of customer service for someone to realize that this was sent based on an old address and phone number, and apply the discount to my current account/info. At first they even told me that I couldn't even use the PIN because it was for the other/old info, I had to convince them that I am me!

You are most likely correct that the system generating the PIN code did not know what you had already booked. What it does know is the booking rates at the resorts. It knows which resorts and, in particular, which rooms are not meeting booking expectations and need to be put "on sale" so to speak.

Their policy really has not changed. Room availability has gotten tighter especially on standard rooms so when PINS do come out they often include only upgraded rooms as those are the ones left over.

All hope is not lost though. Standard rooms can eventually be dropped into the "on sale rack" as the window narrows. Just hold onto what you have and keep your eyes and ears open for another PIN or call back with the same PIN when you get to the end of the booking window.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

iluvMainStMagic

We got a PIN yesterday, too, and found the same problems with availability. It looks like they really are trying to cut out discounts and promotions, but sending them out with such limited availability is frustrating and disappointing for everyone. My husband spent a while last night playing around with dates and resorts (we are very fortunate that we can be flexible with when we go, though we have times that we prefer not to go). We were very surprised when he suddenly found a standard room open at POFQ for some dates we were considering - it wasn't there when he looked the first time.....then when he went back it popped up! - along with a couple of other room categories. I don't know if there were "holds" that went back into inventory, or if they added some rooms, but we were happy to grab it!

Good luck to all who are still searching, I feel your pain :( hang in there, I hope something will open up for you!!

Upvote 0

iluvMainStMagic

I am so confused as to how there is already limited availability. I know they set aside a block of rooms just for these pin code offers but really??? They were just sent out TODAY and not everyone gets them!!!! I am booked in a royal room so I am hoping if they roll out the room discounts to the general public soon, I hope I don't have a problem since these rooms are difficult to fill at POR. I keep checking my email for a pin lol nothing! Sorry you couldn't even use it.

I agree totally with your confusion at the immediate limited availability, it's the craziest/hardest-to-apply promotion release that I can remember. Interesting that you would mention the Royal rooms - the only room category at POR that we could find at one point in our search yesterday (with our PIN) was a Royal Room, but I can't remember what the dates were. Good luck on getting an opportunity to apply a discount to your reservation!!

Upvote 0

Marianm

I have had the same issue. I was available to go pretty much anytime in October, but only wanted to stay at one of two resorts. Got my PiN code and called three hours later and every room I wanted was booked. Tried the next day, same thing. I ended up just reserving a non discounted room. I'm really hoping for a general discount for the fall to be released sometime in the summer.

Upvote 0

4disneylovers

I got a pin one time and when I called it meant nothing. The CM told me that they send out "pins" sometimes to generate you calling in and it is more like fishing. Don't know, just telling you what they told me.

Upvote 0

elfshadowreaper

I guess we'd better get used to perk-less Disney vacations unless the economy takes another hit. I remember the last two vacations we took(a few years ago) we had no problem just calling at random and getting free dining. That's the only time we've had a DDP and it was so awesome not having to pay every time we ate.

Our next trip is in October when our family decided they were going and wanted us to go too. We're currently attacking our student loan debt to get it out of the way, but once that's gone I really want to just focus on going when the crowds are at their lowest.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom