Upgrading Tickets at Guest Services

ParentsOf4

I have unused 2-day tickets that I want to upgrade. I called Disney and, after confirming the tickets were valid, they said I will have to do this at Guest Services at one of the parks or at Downtown Disney. They said that ticket prices would be the same as online. I upgraded tickets once before several years ago and rememeber mailing in my old tickets and getting new ones a couple of weeks later.

It kind of sticks having to do this in person since I dislike waiting in line at Guest Services (yes, I need to learn some patience :)) and want to upgrade them now to avoid a price increase (usually August). Luckily, we are going in 2 weeks (using older tickets) so I shouldn't have to worry about a price increase before then.

What are people's experience upgrading tickets at Guest Services?

EvilQueen-T

avoid drama...go to guest services like the one just past the entrance of mk. i had a concierge at pofq say they could do it and said they did...nope. they were one of those clueless people pretending to know what they were doing.

Upvote 0

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
It is usually drama-free -- I've done it at least 6 times. Many upgrades can be done at the hotel information desks, but not all. I have never cracked the code as to what the hotel desks can and can't do, so I always go to Guest Relations. Typically, it's not a big deal.

My most recent was, however, not drama free. For unknown reasons, nobody at DAK guest relations knew how to do what I wanted to do, even though they all knew that I was supposed to be able to do it. I literally had to tell them that they should be able to find out what I paid for the 2-day ticket embedded on the pass, then sell me an AP and use the amount I paid for the 2-day as partial payment toward the AP. Only when I broke it down step by step did one guy realize that he knew how to do each individual step. He then processed the transaction wrong by making a typo which resulted in him accidentially trying to overcharge me by $50. With that fixed, he ran the transaction, gave me the AP and put the old 2-day ticket and my credit card into a drawer and closed it. I then asked for my credit card back and had to wait for a superviser to open the drawer. I was unamused.

Upvote 0

flynnibus

Premium Member
There is guest relations in DTD too.. you can do it there or any of the parks. You can do it at basically any ticket window. With all the advance purchasing, etc... the ticket windows are never busy. Especially if it's not near park opening. Just do it on the day your arrive.

Don't upgrade to no expiration unless you really plan on not using all the days. It's so expensive. For a 10 day pass.. you're paying an extra $240 dollars per adult for no expiration. For only $30 more you can get an AP and get all the AP discounts and a lot more days for your next trip if it will be within a year. The AP will be worth the discounts alone for at least one member of your party to buy that.

Make sure the delta between the # of days you plan on using this trip.. and the cost of the 10 day no-expire is really worth it for what your next trip will be.

$240 is the price of a two day park hopper. You're adding almost $340 per ticket for more 'options' and no expiration. Almost doubling the cost of your tickets.

Upvote 0

ParentsOf4

Original Poster
Don't upgrade to no expiration unless you really plan on not using all the days. It's so expensive. For a 10 day pass.. you're paying an extra $240 dollars per adult for no expiration. For only $30 more you can get an AP and get all the AP discounts and a lot more days for your next trip if it will be within a year. The AP will be worth the discounts alone for at least one member of your party to buy that.
We had annual passes several years ago and did 4 WDW trips (20+ days at the parks) that year. The AP is great if you are going to spend a lot of days at WDW during a 12-month period.

Having just purchased a Universal annual pass (at 1/3 the price of WDW AP), our first DCL cruise planned for later this year, plus a few days left on our current WDW tickets, I am confident these 10-day no expiration tickets will last several years.

Unfortunately, WDW has increased ticket prices at double the rate of inflation for the last several years and I want to purchase these before the next price increase (usually August). These 10-day no-expiration tickets are going to cost at least 50% more than what I paid for the same ticket only a few years ago. With hindsight, I wish I purchased more tickets then. I'm having a hard time paying $626 for a ticket that cost me at least $200 less only a few years ago but am afraid if I don't buy these now then these same tickets will soon be over $800! Don't laugh; I never thought 10-day no expiration tickets would cost more than $500, never mind $600.

If we plan a longer trip (5 days or more) we'll buy tickets for that trip separately and save these 10-day no-expiration tickets for our shorter visits. Per the disneyworld ticket page, these tickets work out to $62.60/day, half that if you include the 10 days of water parks. (We never use both a theme park day and water park day on the same day when purchasing the no expiration option.) Currently a 5-day park hopper (no water park and that expires) costs $61.20/day, a 4-day is $74.50/day.

A Premium AP (i.e. water parks) currently is $649 while a regular AP is $598. Doing the math, we'll buy an AP if we'll visit the parks for at least 10 days during a 12-month period. However, with our Universal AP and DCL cruise planned, I doubt we'll be at the theme parks more than 3 or 4 days this year (plus 3 or 4 more water park days) so a Disney AP doesn't make sense at this time.

Upvote 0

mike7904

Quick question if any can confirm for me. We are going this may and also booked for next April offsite. We are considering APs. My local AAA sells MYW tickets at a small discount. Would I then be able to upgrade these tickets purchased from AAA. Would guest relations be aware of any previous discount received

Upvote 0

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
Quick question if any can confirm for me. We are going this may and also booked for next April offsite. We are considering APs. My local AAA sells MYW tickets at a small discount. Would I then be able to upgrade these tickets purchased from AAA. Would guest relations be aware of any previous discount received

IIRC the tickets have only the value you paid for them until they've been used once, then they are treated as full gate value. So get your MYW from AAA, enter the park of choice on arrival, go to GR and upgrade then.

Upvote 0

Soarin2day

So we purchased a 7 day park hopper as part of our vacation package. Wanting to upgrade that to an AP. Should we do that at the end of the trip or do we have to do that before or after the first use?

Upvote 0

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
So we purchased a 7 day park hopper as part of our vacation package. Wanting to upgrade that to an AP. Should we do that at the end of the trip or do we have to do that before or after the first use?

Any time up to 14 days after first use or use of the last admission on the ticket. Once you've used the last admission, they won't upgrade.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom