Upgrades at Resorts

10East75South

Checking in soon, and have heard/seen that sometimes "upgrades" are offered, possibly at check-in.

Is there any rhyme or reason to an upgrade? I figure it definitely won't happen unless its asked for - what would/should be the best approach?

P.S. Going for 4th time in 5 years, going for anniversary this time.

worldfanatic

I know Disney has their own rules. But I worked as a Bell Captain in a Palm Springs resort for 12 years and was stationed right by the registration desk.
When possible, our front desk agents were happy to upgrade guests at no charge into higher level rooms if available. They generally did it when they found the guests to be positive & friendly. They would virtually NEVER offer a free upgrade if the guest asked for it or hinted at it. These people would be told that for $25 more they could have a mountain or pool view room. It was actually funny to watch them in action.
It sounds like Disney resorts might work the same way.

Upvote 0
We received an upgrade several years ago when we were staying the first night of our stay at the Animal Kingdom. I had purchased a room for 1 night at AKL so that our DD could see all the animals, and then we were starting a 7-day package at the Beach Club. The same Disney agent handled all the arrangements for us.

When we checked in, they walked us up to the room. When we stopped before the double-doors, we knew that something was wrong. She had upgraded us to the Vice Presidential Suite at the Animal Kingdom Lodge!!

We were convinced that we were in the wrong room and that there was a mix-up on the reservations. We kept checking with the front desk, and they kept insisting it was correct. I wouldn't let our DD unpack anything!

It was a huge suite -- kitchen, dining room, tv room, 2 bedrooms, 2 baths. It's the only time in all our visits that we took pictures of the room - just so that when we came home that everybody would believe us!

We definitely did not ask for anything like this, and it remains as the most magical experience that we have ever had at WDW (and it was well before the "Year of a Million Dreams").

Upvote 0

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I know Disney has their own rules. But I worked as a Bell Captain in a Palm Springs resort for 12 years and was stationed right by the registration desk.
When possible, our front desk agents were happy to upgrade guests at no charge into higher level rooms if available. They generally did it when they found the guests to be positive & friendly. They would virtually NEVER offer a free upgrade if the guest asked for it or hinted at it. These people would be told that for $25 more they could have a mountain or pool view room. It was actually funny to watch them in action.
It sounds like Disney resorts might work the same way.
From my understanding it did operate like that at one time but no longer does. From what I was told AKL put the final nail in the free upgrade coffin. This is one resort where view is paramount due to the Savannah and it got to the point where it became almost common knowledge to book a standard room, at $120 +/- less per night, because getting a free upgrade to a savannah view room was almost guaranteed. Because of abuses like that free upgrades are now done for operational needs only. It also doesn't hurt having the occupancy rates in the upper 90's either to make free upgrades much more infrequent.

Upvote 0

DizneyPryncess

DH & I got an upgrade a few weeks ago at the Boardwalk. We were celebrating our first anniversary, which they knew because they asked when we booked. We never asked for an upgrade, we just booked a standard room. They didn't mention we were getting an upgrade either. But when we opened our door, our jaws both dropped. We had been upgraded to a beautiful one bedroom villa at the Boardwalk, instead of the studio. It was a wonderful surprise :)

Upvote 0

WDWCP

About 5 years ago, my sister was visition WDW with enough friends to warrent 3 separate rooms at ASM.

They never asked or voiced any conerns with their room accomodations, and on the 2nd night out of 8, there was a message for them at the front desk. Apparently, (for some unknown reason) they were all offered an upgrade to AKL. All 3 rooms from ASM were transfered to AKL. Disney even moved all their luggage during the day while they were at one of the parks.

Nothing like getting tripple the value of room for the same price, eh!???!?!?!

Sweet deal for them!

Upvote 0

DisneyJoe

We're heading to POFQ this weekend, we've never stayed there before. What if they offer us an upgrade and we really don't want it (ie. we don't like/want the hotel they're offering). Can we refuse?

Sure, but it depends on the reason they are offering the upgrade. If they have overbooked POFQ (and this does happen), they may not have any room for you there and would need to move you somewhere. If you are insistent to stay, they would have to find someone else able to move and give you a room...

Work with them with a pleasant attitude and they will go out of their way to help you.

Upvote 0

dsnyfreak

I dont know it this is considered and "upgrade" or not but when me and my family went to the all star sports this past Jan, I booked a room in a prefered location, which was a perfect spot, and I payed the deposit and when I checked in we were pleasently suprised that we didnt have to pay the prefered location price AND we got a free night. I didn't ask about it but made sure we were actually going to be in the room for the number of nights I requested because noone told us anything.!! we got the Florida resident room only price we saved about $150!!!!!! that was great!!!!!!:D:D

Upvote 0

Mystic

Sure, but it depends on the reason they are offering the upgrade. If they have overbooked POFQ (and this does happen), they may not have any room for you there and would need to move you somewhere. If you are insistent to stay, they would have to find someone else able to move and give you a room...

Work with them with a pleasant attitude and they will go out of their way to help you.

If we work with them would they be willing to upgrade us to a different deluxe than the one they originally offer? Like if they offer Boardwalk but we don't want Boardwalk, if we work with them would they be willing to switch it to something in MK area if something is available?

Upvote 0

TURKEY

If we work with them would they be willing to upgrade us to a different deluxe than the one they originally offer? Like if they offer Boardwalk but we don't want Boardwalk, if we work with them would they be willing to switch it to something in MK area if something is available?

It depends. There is an actual hierarchy of where to walk to first. Values go to other values, then to moderates, and from there. Basically follow prices on the rooms, they want to go to an equal or the least expensive upgrade.

You might have been able to get Yacht or Beach instead of Boardwalk, but it all depends on which resorts are available, etc. You likely wouldn't get MK unless it was Wilderness (not a monorail resort). From a moderate you would be looked at to go to AKL or WL before the Boardwalk.

Upvote 0

durangojim

We've been upgraded 4 times -- three at the wilderness lodge from a woods view to a courtyard (usually when we booked with a AAA or AP rate) and then once from a savannah view to a deluxe savannah view at the AKL (not sure how much of a difference). We never asked for the upgrades, at the WL it was usually due to a request for a location like the Villa's side of the resort, or to be on the main floor. I remember though that it was very common for people to be upgraded at AKL about five years ago.

Upvote 0

melissw

Last month my boyfriend and I were lucky enough to be upgraded to the concierge building at the Poly. I put off sumbitting any room preferences and decided we'd see what longhouse and floor we got at check-in and decide to either take it or check if another one we preferred happened to be available. At check-in when the CM told us we were on the 1st floor in the Hawaii building I thought to myself that's a oncierge building isn't it? maybe concierge is only the 3rd floor or something? Nope, it's the whole building and we were spoiled with concierge all week! :king:
We weren't celebrating anything and our room had to have been chosen for us prior to check-in b/c we had a welcoming letter in the file with my name on it when we were greeted by the concierge staff at Hawaii. It was just all luck of the draw!

Upvote 0

disneyliv85

During my honeymoon we were upgraded to a water view at French Quarter. It was nice to look out and see the river rather than a parking lot.

If I was given an upgrade to a deluxe hotel I don't think I would care which one it was! The Boardwalk would be a blast to stay at with everything there is to do there!

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom