Updates for the New Year

The Visionary Soul

Original Poster
Hi Everyone. It has a been a while since I've had anything fun and interesting to share, recently I've mostly been limiting my posts to single comments about topics posted here and there. But I wanted to let you know that I'm not completely silent and out of the loop. I've been quietly reading everything I can, painting a picture in my head of how things will happen next year. And since I really don't see anyone else that has posted anything resembling a master plan for WDW for the next year, I figured I could.

This post is filled with things that I expect to happen in the next year. It's not meant to be 100% accurate, because timetables change, and it's also not all-inclusive, and I don't have sources for some things. So what is it? I guess you might say it's my "best-guess" of announcements that will be taking place this year, based on my own personal observations of how things have been rolling out, and what I imagine Disney's reaction will be to Universal's projects, as well as their own reactions to their own failures. So here it is...

-Annual Passes will go up in price yet again, perhaps at even a higher rate than last year. This is based on the fact that the parks are still crowded as heck. I believe Disney will eventually attempt to dump its current ticket provider (Omni-ticket) because they were acquired by another company recently and to be honest, their product has been stagnant. Disney has to be worried about true innovation by Omni-ticket, so they will probably switch everything over to their internal ticketing system, with the underlying technology being built by Gateway. (That's the company that Disney uses in Disneyland, Gateway Ticketing, not the company that used to make computers in cow boxes.) If this does happen, that would allow Disney to eventually change the way Annual Passes are purchased, turning it into more of a membership program that can automatically renew annually (or maybe even monthly). Granted, this project would take more than a year, but I can make a reasonable guess that it will start to happen this year.

-An overhaul to dining hours for the bars in resorts will take place. This may align to Disneyland's bar hours, and be based on day of week and season. The bottom line here is that Trader Sam's needs to be successful at the Polynesian, and they are preparing for some changes that will drastically change how WDW operates the bars and their kitchens at resorts.

-After doing some of my own calculations based on the cost of the technology and additional staffing, it's obvious to me that Be Our Guest's method of quick service dining during lunch is a total financial failure. Although this probably won't change how Be Our Guest operates, I can almost guarantee you that no future restaurants will ever operate this way. If I was in charge, I'd probably look for more off the shelf products to help with the way Disney does quick service food. (Namely, look at some different cash register systems, and really observe how well The Leaky Cauldron at Universal operates)

-More fences will go up around the pools at Walt Disney World, and more and more kiddy pools will vanish forever because of the ADA laws. Enough said. Contrary to what everyone else is saying though, these fences will not restrict access to the pool areas, they are simply there for Reedy Creek safety reasons.

-A plethora of new types of Magic Bands. Disney wants to see these things sell as much as possible, so expect tons of new designs this year. Basically, Disney needs to ramp-up on these things so they aren't looked at as a total financial failure. You can bet money that they will not be the primary method for anything in about 2-3 years. That Apple Watch (really the iPhone 6 as well) will replace Magic Bands as soon as Apple lets developers use the NFC for something besides Apple Pay. And you can bet that Disney will be one of the first in line. (Yeah, Androids should work too, for you non-apple people out there)

-Magic Band failures. You'll start seeing the pegs on the magic bands fall off (the pegs that lock the band into place are badly designed and the plastic breaks on them after a year and a half or two), and the batteries will start dying. I don't think that Disney realizes how much of a nightmare this will be with people using their own old Magic Bands from previous trips.

-Nothing new going into Epcot except Frozen and Soarin's new theater. Disney just doesn't want to spend the money there until they can fix the other parks first. Epcot can survive on special events for the time being. Plus, with Frozen in the park, there's no need to do anything else anytime soon.

-More new brands coming to Animal Kingdom and Disney's Hollywood. They really want to brand up the places. It's not just Avatar and Star Wars now. I expect to see more from Toy Story, Cars, ABC, Other Pixar, and tons of additional stuff. I actually think there will be a major announcement this year for the re-birth of Disney's Hollywood, and that will include new benches (I'm kidding), more Toy Story Mania, and more closures of attractions. (Bye LMA and Indy)

-Magic Kingdom will see some more food offerings and more interactivity. A lot of enhanced features triggered by the Magic Bands will start rolling out.

-Disney Springs will actually be the most successful thing that Disney has done in decades in Florida. Yeah, sounds unbelievable, but yeah, I'm calling it now. I don't care about the naysayers who think it's just another mall. The truth is, it IS just another mall... but with Disney's name on it. It's gonna be incredibly successful. Once that direct access from I-4 opens, it will make all the difference.

-There is no new theme park coming to WDW any time soon. Anyone who thinks otherwise, especially in that property north of Flamingo Crossings, is just plain wrong. There is no evidence at all to support another park going up there within at least the next ten years, if ever.

-The new DVC project at Wilderness Lodge will start.

-Someone on these boards will start a rumor about Monorail expansion again, this time because the automation thing is happening. By the way, that is happening this year. So, automated monorails, yay!

-They'll start switching to paper bags instead of plastic.

-Your standard annual increase of food, passes, Tables in Wonderland, etc.

That's all I have for now. If I think of anything else, I'll let you know. And before anyone says that they said it before, I know. I thank you for posting it before and wherever you posted it. But the truth is, there needed to be an update with everything in one place. If you want to link back to the original posts, go ahead, I'll even update my post with links to your old posts. I'm not trying to take credit for the individual things, just putting all the puzzle pieces together. :)

Last edited:

JoeCamel

OK, it is what I expected and as a result I will postpone buying an annual pass until 2019 when they have something to offer me for my money but by that time it will be $1K so maybe not. Better things to do with my money and my life than take in the same old stuff. Nostalgia only carries so much weight and this is not it.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Hi Everyone. It has a been a while since I've had anything fun and interesting to share, recently I've mostly been limiting my posts to single comments about topics posted here and there. But I wanted to let you know that I'm not completely silent and out of the loop. I've been quietly reading everything I can, painting a picture in my head of how things will happen next year. And since I really don't see anyone else that has posted anything resembling a master plan for WDW for the next year, I figured I could.

This post is filled with things that I expect to happen in the next year. It's not meant to be 100% accurate, because timetables change, and it's also not all-inclusive, and I don't have sources for some things. So what is it? I guess you might say it's my "best-guess" of announcements that will be taking place this year, based on my own personal observations of how things have been rolling out, and what I imagine Disney's reaction will be to Universal's projects, as well as their own reactions to their own failures. So here it is...

-Annual Passes will go up in price yet again, perhaps at even a higher rate than last year. This is based on the fact that the parks are still crowded as heck. I believe Disney will eventually attempt to dump its current ticket provider (Omni-ticket) because they were acquired by another company recently and to be honest, their product has been stagnant. Disney has to be worried about true innovation by Omni-ticket, so they will probably switch everything over to their internal ticketing system, with the underlying technology being built by Gateway. (That's the company that Disney uses in Disneyland, Gateway Ticketing, not the company that used to make computers in cow boxes.) If this does happen, that would allow Disney to eventually change the way Annual Passes are purchased, turning it into more of a membership program that can automatically renew annually (or maybe even monthly). Granted, this project would take more than a year, but I can make a reasonable guess that it will start to happen this year.

-An overhaul to dining hours for the bars in resorts will take place. This may align to Disneyland's bar hours, and be based on day of week and season. The bottom line here is that Trader Sam's needs to be successful at the Polynesian, and they are preparing for some changes that will drastically change how WDW operates the bars and their kitchens at resorts.

-After doing some of my own calculations based on the cost of the technology and additional staffing, it's obvious to me that Be Our Guest's method of quick service dining during lunch is a total financial failure. Although this probably won't change how Be Our Guest operates, I can almost guarantee you that no future restaurants will ever operate this way. If I was in charge, I'd probably look for more off the shelf products to help with the way Disney does quick service food. (Namely, look at some different cash register systems, and really observe how well The Leaky Cauldron at Universal operates)

-More fences will go up around the pools at Walt Disney World, and more and more kiddy pools will vanish forever because of the ADA laws. Enough said. Contrary to what everyone else is saying though, these fences will not restrict access to the pool areas, they are simply there for Reedy Creek safety reasons.

-A plethora of new types of Magic Bands. Disney wants to see these things sell as much as possible, so expect tons of new designs this year. Basically, Disney needs to ramp-up on these things so they aren't looked at as a total financial failure. You can bet money that they will not be the primary method for anything in about 2-3 years. That Apple Watch (really the iPhone 6 as well) will replace Magic Bands as soon as Apple lets developers use the NFC for something besides Apple Pay. And you can bet that Disney will be one of the first in line. (Yeah, Androids should work too, for you non-apple people out there)

-Magic Band failures. You'll start seeing the pegs on the magic bands fall off (the pegs that lock the band into place are badly designed and the plastic breaks on them after a year and a half or two), and the batteries will start dying. I don't think that Disney realizes how much of a nightmare this will be with people using their own old Magic Bands from previous trips.

-Nothing new going into Epcot except Frozen and Soarin's new theater. Disney just doesn't want to spend the money there until they can fix the other parks first. Epcot can survive on special events for the time being. Plus, with Frozen in the park, there's no need to do anything else anytime soon.

-More new brands coming to Animal Kingdom and Disney's Hollywood. They really want to brand up the places. It's not just Avatar and Star Wars now. I expect to see more from Toy Story, Cars, ABC, Other Pixar, and tons of additional stuff. I actually think there will be a major announcement this year for the re-birth of Disney's Hollywood, and that will include new benches (I'm kidding), more Toy Story Mania, and more closures of attractions. (Bye LMA and Indy)

-Magic Kingdom will see some more food offerings and more interactivity. A lot of enhanced features triggered by the Magic Bands will start rolling out.

-Disney Springs will actually be the most successful thing that Disney has done in decades in Florida. Yeah, sounds unbelievable, but yeah, I'm calling it now. I don't care about the naysayers who think it's just another mall. The truth is, it IS just another mall... but with Disney's name on it. It's gonna be incredibly successful. Once that direct access from I-4 opens, it will make all the difference.

-There is no new theme park coming to WDW any time soon. Anyone who thinks otherwise, especially in that property north of Flamingo Crossings, is just plain wrong. There is no evidence at all to support another park going up there within at least the next ten years, if ever.

-Someone on these boards will start a rumor about Monorail expansion again, this time because the automation thing is happening. By the way, that is happening this year. So, automated monorails, yay!

-They'll start switching to paper bags instead of plastic.

-Your standard annual increase of food, passes, Tables in Wonderland, etc.

That's all I have for now. If I think of anything else, I'll let you know. And before anyone says that they said it before, I know. I thank you for posting it before and wherever you posted it. But the truth is, there needed to be an update with everything in one place. If you want to link back to the original posts, go ahead, I'll even update my post with links to your old posts. I'm not trying to take credit for the individual things, just putting all the puzzle pieces together. :)
Good post. Seems likely that most or all of this could happen.

Couple of questions:

1. you said more brands for AK and DHS. Do you know of anything else besides Avatar/night safari/nighttime show coming to AK? I was hoping for a few additional surprises as part of the bigger project.
  2. Do you think the DHS announcement will be all inclusive or will they announce things in phases? I'm assuming the 3rd track at TSMM and some other minor attractions could open a lot sooner than something like Star Wars but will they lay out the whole project up front or stagger the announcements? I'm very interested in seeing more details on that project.
  3. Will the paper bags just be plain brown or will they have a Disney logo? That one's just a joke, but some people did get upset over the napkins changing a few years back.

alissafalco

I was told by a CM that the bands don't have batteries. It's a chip inside that is read once it touches the ball. So the bands should last a lifetime as far as that is concerned. I don'tknow if it's true or not.

Last edited:

Soarin' Over Pgh

So, fancy glowing kitty...

What about the current specials at DHS? the Osbourne alights, Star Wars weekends...will those continue through construction? Are they adding any temporary exhibits or attractions while half the park is being gutted and redone? Will they (I already know the answer to this, but humor me) lower the ticket price to the parks while they're under...redevelopment? Or do some kind of a "add on" at a lower price...a....Park hopper, but really, a discount to get into an incomplete park?

As for DAK, anything you can mention besides avatar (ugh) coming to the park? Is the awful Chester/Hester's thing staying or will it be finally removed for a proper 'land'?

englanddg

One Little Spark...
I was told by a CM that the bands don't have batteries. It's a chip inside that is read once it touches the ball. So the bands should last a lifetime as far as that is concerned. I don't if it's true or not.
The short range RFID does not require a battery. The power is inductive through the emitter (e.g. the "Mickey Pole" or the "Mickey Reader" at checkouts).

However, the LE Bluetooth emitter used for the more "Magical" MM+ stuff promised by Staggs and company in the future (which starts with them tracking where you are) does utilize a battery.

So, for the "touch" functions to work, you and the CM are correct.

For the more "extended" functions, that is incorrect.

Here is a picture of the battery in a MagicBand.

making-the-band-023.jpg

englanddg

One Little Spark...
All one needs to do is read the FCC filings. There are TWO RFID fuctions of a MagicBand, not one.

@alissafalco and the CM were not "wrong", per se. The touch functions will likely not degrade any time soon, as they are a largely passive system. It's the LE Bluetooth functions which require a battery to boost signal to connect to the receivers littered around the park.

An old Magicband literally may not connect you to "on the spot updates" or "magical experiences in Small World" due to the battery being dead, but would still function fine at the Mickey Poles, checkout units and hotel doors.

Because it's two separate units in one package.

Fox&Hound

Good post. Seems likely that most or all of this could happen.

Couple of questions:

1. you said more brands for AK and DHS. Do you know of anything else besides Avatar/night safari/nighttime show coming to AK? I was hoping for a few additional surprises as part of the bigger project.
  2. Do you think the DHS announcement will be all inclusive or will they announce things in phases? I'm assuming the 3rd track at TSMM and some other minor attractions could open a lot sooner than something like Star Wars but will they lay out the whole project up front or stagger the announcements? I'm very interested in seeing more details on that project.
  3. Will the paper bags just be plain brown or will they have a Disney logo? That one's just a joke, but some people did get upset over the napkins changing a few years back.

I had the same exact questions. Thanks, GoofGoof.

Really interested in what might come to AK. Maybe it's just me, but this park feels the most "Un-Disney" to me. Like I stepped into Bush Gardens or something. Not that it's bad, but I'd love to see more properties present. I think "Up" would be a great fit and maybe even something with the Maleficent dragon. I don't know, but would love to see more than just Avatar come to the park.

doctornick

Really interested in what might come to AK. Maybe it's just me, but this park feels the most "Un-Disney" to me. Like I stepped into Bush Gardens or something. Not that it's bad, but I'd love to see more properties present. I think "Up" would be a great fit and maybe even something with the Maleficent dragon. I don't know, but would love to see more than just Avatar come to the park.

I've said before but an easy way to integrate more properties is to have a cartoonish "Critter Country" and have attractions themed to Bambi, Pocahontas, 101 Dalmatians, Rescuers, Fox & the Hound, Tarzan, Chip & Dale/Rescue Rangers, Jungle Book, Fantasia, etc. Would be a good place to bring back Mr. Toad if they wanted, which would be big for selling nostalgia.

Also, we might see The Good Dinosaur somehow integrated into Dinoland USA.

GrumpyFan

This would make sense, as there's a good potential here for picking up some revenue. Along these lines, I would like to see more nighttime entertainment options outside the parks. However, that being said, I doubt they will do much more than what's planned for Poly.

Sounds more like the work of Disney legal, than Reedy Creek.

-A plethora of new types of Magic Bands. Disney wants to see these things sell as much as possible, so expect tons of new designs this year. Basically, Disney needs to ramp-up on these things so they aren't looked at as a total financial failure.

I can see this happening. I'm actually surprised it hasn't already.
They should add the different types (colors, themes, etc.) to the selection option when you are picking your bands. Offer the standard colors they currently have for free, then offer additional ones for a price of $10-20.

Yep!

Not so sure about this one.
I think we'll have to wait for the Poly construction to finish before we see anything new.

New trains are badly needed. I think it's time. Question is, will they spend the money to do it?

GrumpyFan

If they don't capitalize on the likely popularity of The Good Dinosaur and Inside Out, the execs are stupid. I'd start planning to use Inside Out in Epcot now. Heck, I'd have started yesterday.

Inside Out seems like it would be a good fit at the Imagination Pavillion, perhaps some kind of replacement for Captain EO? Why is that STILL playing? UGH!

I haven't paid much attention to The Good Dinosaur, so I'm not sure how or where that fits, but the obvious would seem to be DAK, but it looks very cartoon-sh, so if anywhere it would have to be in Chester & Hester's.

Last edited:

71jason

Adjusting based on season and day of the week seems a no-brainer. Tho the Boardwalk illustrates the problem of letting hotel bars stay open until 2.

Can you elaborate, or at least hint a little more, on the upcoming changes?

The Landing is quietly shaping up to fill a real need that has been neglected the past 6 years. If Disney chooses to embrace that, guests will come in droves. And agreed the I-4 ramp will help. Really, other than Festival Bay, is there any mall in central Florida that isn't successful?

GrumpyFan

Adjusting based on season and day of the week seems a no-brainer. Tho the Boardwalk illustrates the problem of letting hotel bars stay open until 2.

Can you elaborate a little on what you mean by this? What problem? I've never seen or heard of a problem there. If anything, the problem is the location and the fact that it's not easy for others to get there who aren't staying in one of the surrounding hotels.

The Landing is quietly shaping up to fill a real need that has been neglected the past 6 years. If Disney chooses to embrace that, guests will come in droves. And agreed the I-4 ramp will help. Really, other than Festival Bay, is there any mall in central Florida that isn't successful?

Agreed, it is shaping up quite nice. My biggest concern is the possibility that it might become TOO POPULAR once completed. DTD already gets uncomfortably crowded for my tastes. If it gets more so after the makeover to Disney Springs, I might just have to avoid it altogether. The combination of shopping and big crowds just doesn't work for me. The World of Disney is more than I can tolerate for anything more than about 15-20 minutes. It's just too big and too chaotic.

71jason

Can you elaborate a little on what you mean by this? What problem? I've never seen or heard of a problem there. If anything, the problem is the location and the fact that it's not easy for others to get there who aren't staying in one of the surrounding hotels.

Drunk and rowdy people leaving a bar at 1:45 am right under sleeping guests' windows.

GrumpyFan

Drunk and rowdy people leaving a bar at 1:45 am right under sleeping guests' windows.

I've heard those complaints before, but I've also stayed there a couple times and never had the problem personally. I always found those windows/doors on those rooms to be very well insulated and quiet. But, I can see where it could be a problem.

To me, the drunk and rowdy people returning inside the hotel are the ones that have always been a problem. Once in the hallways they're much louder.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom