Unpopular Opinions: DLR Edition

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Yes! What the heck is wrong with people? There are more churro carts at Disneyland than there are popcorn, pretzel, churro, and ice cream carts combined at WDW. Want ANYTHING AT ALL besides a churro? Too bad.

I can't speak for everyone else, but to me Churros are synonymous with both California and Amusement Parks. I even worked a Churro cart one summer as a youngling at a local amusement park. So given this, and given that DLR is primarily a locals park, it makes sense to me that Churro carts are one of the predominate snack food carts.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
The Funnel Cake needs to make a comeback before it's too late.

While I love me a funnel cake, I always considered that a carnival/fair snack even though again as a youngling I worked the funnel cake shop one summer at our local amusement park. Churros were just always my pastry of choice for the amusement park experience over a funnel cake.

TROR

I love kettle corn but the only good kettle corn I've found in California was at Petco Park. There is really good kettle corn at Busch Stadium but that's in St. Louis. Dodgers Stadium doesn't even have kettle corn, I couldn't find any at Knott's, Disneyland's is bad, and the LA Zoo only serves kettle corn on the weekends.

Last edited:

Rich T

I love kettle corn but the only good kettle corn I've found in California was at Petco Park. There are Busch Stadium. Dodgers Stadium doesn't even have it, I couldn't find any at Knott's, Disneyland's is bad, and the LA Zoo only serves kettle corn on the weekends.
Kettle Corn is the best (and the only reason I ever go to our local farmer's market). Now, although there's no substitute for fresh KC; if you can make do with bagged Kettle Corn from the grocery store, Angie's Boom Chicka Pop is pretty great.

Stevek

I rarely eat junk food, but one of the best snacks at Disney is the peanut butter cookie in the Poo shop. I don't want popcorn, pretzels, churros etc. I have to walk to a remote corner of the park in a ridiculous cartoon animal land for my fluffy delicious cookie and I avoid every cart in the theme parks.
I love the Ultimate Chocolate Chip cookie...pretty much my only must do treat each visit.

Stevek

I can't speak for everyone else, but to me Churros are synonymous with both California and Amusement Parks. I even worked a Churro cart one summer as a youngling at a local amusement park. So given this, and given that DLR is primarily a locals park, it makes sense to me that Churro carts are one of the predominate snack food carts.
My first Churro was at the Redondo Beach Pier...used to go down there for walks with my dad when I was a kid and we'd always get one. Now don't get me wrong, Disneyland Churro's aren't terrible, just overrated. I'd much rather indulge in a much cheaper Costco churro any day of the week.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I love kettle corn but the only good kettle corn I've found in California was at Petco Park. There is really good kettle corn at Busch Stadium but that's in St. Louis. Dodgers Stadium doesn't even have kettle corn, I couldn't find any at Knott's, Disneyland's is bad, and the LA Zoo only serves kettle corn on the weekends.

I've never been a fan of the salty/sweet combination.

Stevek

Kettle Corn is the best (and the only reason I ever go to our local farmer's market). Now, although there's no substitute for fresh KC; if you can make do with bagged Kettle Corn from the grocery store, Angie's Boom Chicka Pop is pretty great.
Same. Getting it fresh is the best. We have a farmer's market here in Corona that makes a pretty good batch.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
My first Churro was at the Redondo Beach Pier...used to go down there for walks with my dad when I was a kid and we'd always get one. Now don't get me wrong, Disneyland Churro's aren't terrible, just overrated. I'd much rather indulge in a much cheaper Costco churro any day of the week.

Its funny but I've always assumed it was the same brand used by both Disneyland and Costco, Tio Pepe's.

Stevek

Its funny but I've always assumed it was the same brand used by both Disneyland and Costco, Tio Pepe's.
Costco's, unless they've recently changed them, are completely different that the Disneyland churros (see pic below). I knew Tio Pepe made Disneyland churros...wasn't aware Costco's were. Still find them much better than those at Disneyland.

180º

The NOS beignets are abominations. I am so certain of this that I believe it is beyond just opinion. A proper beignet is heavenly: Solid and fluffy, doughy and slightly moist. The Disneyland beignets are dry, with a thin, cardboardlike exterior and NOTHING on the inside. They make me so angry and I can’t believe the reputation they have. I can only assume Californians have no idea what a beignet or any doughy snack is supposed to taste like. You don’t need to go all the way to New Orleans to have a good beignet, either! The walk-up window at Ralph Brennan’s Jazz Kitchen in Downtown Disney sells excellent beignets! There is no excuse for the NOS beignets to be so well-liked while being so absolutely horrid.

Let’s say you don’t want to go all the way to DTD. Fine, then get a funnel cake. Disneyland’s funnel cakes are delicious and fresh-tasting, and they taste much more like how a beignet should taste than anything you’d find at the Mint Julep Bar.

So next time you feel like a beignet, go to Downtown Disney, or eat a funnel cake at Hungry Bear or Stage Door instead. Stop encouraging the mediocrity of Mickey beignets.

/rant

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Costco's, unless they've recently changed them, are completely different that the Disneyland churros (see pic below). I knew Tio Pepe made Disneyland churros...wasn't aware Costco's were. Still find them much better than those at Disneyland.

View attachment 359137

Yeah from what I remember Costco uses the same brand, so unless something changed its still the same. J&J Snack Foods which makes Tio Pepe's has many different versions of the classic Churro. Costco just uses the double twist version.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom