Unpopular Opinion: The Castle Decoration for the 25th was Magical

DisneyFreak

IMO, this did not "take the cake".

1546471887603.png

KimAnnFran

I saw it in person, it was okay. I prefer the original but I don't HATE the cake one.

EDIT: well, now that I saw the photo again....I think it did rather annoy me. I prefer the original.

LaughingGravy

I thought the 25th castle cake was absolutely brilliant.
My in-laws made it that year. They took some nice detailed pictures that I unfortunately don't have.
Our kids were too small to take/justify cost.
We went in 2006 with big silly picture and extra gold tackiness per the pic in the previous post.
The kids had a good time, but between the permanent stage and pointed arches, it really took away from the castle itself. Keep in mind, I recall the glory of the castle from 1977, just before they had any stage at all, and when there was a glorious Fiesta Fun Center at the CR with games you never or rarely saw anywhere else. Oh, and when there was just the Poly, CR, and Ft. Wilderness. Oh, and trees...glorious trees.

Google street view a point on the circle in front of the castle at WDW, then do the same spot for DL in a different tab.
Benches! Trees! Oh My!

By itself, the Cinderella Castle looks great. The forced perspective works really well, but not so much when you add a bunch of stuff that doesn't match in forced perspective.

John park hopper

A one time celebration we loved the Castle Cake. Can remember going and seeing it for the first time and saying WOW!!!. Wife has a Disney t-shirt back sided picture of Castle (normal) front side Castle Cake with 25th Anniversary across the front. This was the spring of 1997.

THEMEPARKPIONEER

It was fun for the regular a or multi time visitors, horrible for first timers. I really liked the giant candles leading up to the castle. I'd actually like to see it again. I was more bent about the wand at Epcot.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
I liked the castle cake. It was unique, fun, and whimsical.

The castle decorations for the 50 Years of Theme Parks were OK, but more gaudy than fun.

mavlax20

This was the first time I saw the castle in 1997....I love it. My wife hates it. I think because it reminds me of my first trip to WDW, that is the reason I love it and it brings those memories back. I am looking forward to the 50th anniversary to see what they do. I am hoping they begin the celebration in the summer of 2021, as that is when we are planning on going back.

Goofyernmost

This was the first time I saw the castle in 1997....I love it. My wife hates it. I think because it reminds me of my first trip to WDW, that is the reason I love it and it brings those memories back. I am looking forward to the 50th anniversary to see what they do. I am hoping they begin the celebration in the summer of 2021, as that is when we are planning on going back.
I wouldn't get to excited about anything special for the 50th. They got lambasted by the fan base that cannot handle any change and also could not understand that they covered a plastic castle with a plastic cake for fun. Between that, and the Hat in DHS for Walt's 100th Birthday and the Wand in Epcot for the millennium. I think that the spirit of whimsy and spending money on it is no longer there. So many people complained about all that stuff that they have become gun shy to ever do anything like it again.
No, but at least it wasn't as horrible like the pink castle was. I was glad to skip that year because I just thought it was that hideous.
I found the decorating of the castle in gold trim was almost as offensive as when Stitch TP'd it. I went twice in 97 and I was amazed by the castle cake. What a clever, detailed and expensive imagineering accomplishment.

correcaminos

I found the decorating of the castle in gold trim was almost as offensive as when Stitch TP'd it. I went twice in 97 and I was amazed by the castle cake. What a clever, detailed and expensive imagineering accomplishment.

That's the good thing about Disney, it can appeal to all. I loathe pink - especially bright pink. So the cake was a hard pass. The gold trim reminded me of antique items, which appeals to my senses.

In terms of imagineering I'm with you. Just to my eyes, all I could see was pink. We went after it was taken down and I was happy to have missed the one color I hate (thanks mom) lol

Cmdr_Crimson

Definitely one of those "What were they THINKING?!" moments.

Especially hurtful is that the pink Barbie Limousine with the oversized back end was originally created for Mickey when the Disney-MGM Studios first opened.
lim484323SMALL.jpg

stp583443LARGE.jpg

Once it got painted pink for Barbie, it remained pink for a while. Here it is during the 25th.
pnk483242LARGE.jpg

Does anyone know it's current whereabouts? @marni1971 ?

Not sure about the Limo...However, out here in Illinois at the Volo Auto Museum they have Barbie's Cadillac that was used out in WDW...

Goofyernmost

2006 wasn't so hot, either.

_1D_2048.jpg
To me that was much worse then the cake. At least the cake was very original and fun for an Anniversary. It showed willingness to spend a large amount of cash to celebrate with a fake cake over a fake castle. It was bright, fun and designed to both shock and entertain. The gilded castle was just gaudy and presumptuous. I didn't hate that one, but, I wasn't impressed either. To me many just take their fake castle way to seriously.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom