Unpopular Opinion: The Castle Decoration for the 25th was Magical

FettFan

I liked the concept of it....but wasn't sure why they chose pink of all things.

I suppose they thought having it in white would look too much like a wedding cake.

surfsupdon

We loved the Castle Cake. It was unique and made that trip special. And there wasn’t the internet back then so there were no spoilers! I remember the unveiling on an ABC morning show and it was so cool, but even greater to see in person.

Minthorne

I was there while they were paining it and the joke was Barbie had bought the castle and was making it her “Dream Castle “

epcotisbest

We liked the big pink cake castle as well. We were fortunate back then to go a couple of times per year, so seeing it was a treat. It would probably have been sad to not see the iconic castle if it was a once in a lifetime trip, but to regulars, the change was fun.
Now, don't judge me too harshly, but I liked the Epcot wand (both versions) and the BAH too!

TwilightZone

We liked the big pink cake castle as well. We were fortunate back then to go a couple of times per year, so seeing it was a treat. It would probably have been sad to not see the iconic castle if it was a once in a lifetime trip, but to regulars, the change was fun.
Now, don't judge me too harshly, but I liked the Epcot wand (both versions) and the BAH too!
The epcot wand! That made me nostalgic.
But hat. No. Bad.

FettFan

I come back to this often. It's so hilariously awful.

Definitely one of those "What were they THINKING?!" moments.

Especially hurtful is that the pink Barbie Limousine with the oversized back end was originally created for Mickey when the Disney-MGM Studios first opened.
lim484323SMALL.jpg

stp583443LARGE.jpg

Once it got painted pink for Barbie, it remained pink for a while. Here it is during the 25th.
pnk483242LARGE.jpg

Does anyone know it's current whereabouts? @marni1971 ?

Goofyernmost

Only one part of the wand that bothered me and that was the "magic dust" that was placed on SSE. That was gaudy. The connection of the mouse to Epcot was a good one, because for years we kept hearing that EPCOT wasn't part of WDW. It was put up for the millennium celebration. The choice of font for the numbers 2000, just looked odd. Once it was finally changed to the bolder Epcot, it looked in proportion with the rest of it. That also solidified the connections and was kind of cute. Never had a problem with that and it also gave it a more fun feel other then the dowdy feel that EPCOT managed to eventually feel like. Even that Hat wasn't all that bad if it had been placed in the proper location. Blocking the Theater was really very poor design decision. They could have placed it in the animation area or even just outside the gate and it would have been fine.

So, It appears that every park except one had some sort of complainable extra added. MK had the castle, (originally done to celebrate the 25th Anniversary), Epcot had the wand (originally for the Millennium) and DHS had the BAH (Put there to celebrate Walt's 100th Birthday. Now DAK has escaped that problem because Disney no longer spends that kind of money just for little extras because it appears that most don't want them... so that money goes to Executive Bonus's instead.

TwilightZone

Only one part of the wand that bothered me and that was the "magic dust" that was placed on SSE. That was gaudy. The connection of the mouse to Epcot was a good one, because for years we kept hearing that EPCOT wasn't part of WDW. It was put up for the millennium celebration. The choice of font for the numbers 2000, just looked odd. Once it was finally changed to the bolder Epcot, it looked in proportion with the rest of it. That also solidified the connections and was kind of cute. Never had a problem with that and it also gave it a more fun feel other then the dowdy feel that EPCOT managed to eventually feel like. Even that Hat wasn't all that bad if it had been placed in the proper location. Blocking the Theater was really very poor design decision. They could have placed it in the animation area or even just outside the gate and it would have been fine.

So, It appears that every park except one had some sort of complainable extra added. MK had the castle, (originally done to celebrate the 25th Anniversary), Epcot had the wand (originally for the Millennium) and DHS had the BAH (Put there to celebrate Walt's 100th Birthday. Now DAK has escaped that problem because Disney no longer spends that kind of money just for little extras because it appears that most don't want them... so that money goes to Executive Bonus's instead.
DAK's complainable bonus is the russel show. ;)

DisAl

I hated it. To take a perfectly good looking castle (even if it is fake) and trying to make a cake out of it borders on being sacrilegious as far as I am concerned.

JIMINYCR

I never saw the pink version in person. But from the photos, it had absolutely no appeal to me. The most fabulous castle makeover was the Happiest Celebration... Gold Castle. Now that made it look like royalty.

danyoung56

I didn't actually have a problem with the pink castle - they did a really good job of it. My problem was that they had to take away such an important icon as the Cinderella Castle to do it.

wdwfan4ver

I didn't mind Castle cake at all. Disney was still celebrating the 25th anniversary during Summer of 1997 when I went.

The party I was with liked Castle Cake so much that they bought Castle Cake merchandise in Florida that year.

Goofyernmost

I didn't mind Castle cake at all. Disney was still celebrating the 25th anniversary during Summer of 1997 when I went.

The party I was with liked Castle Cake so much that they bought Castle Cake merchandise in Florida that year.
I had occasion to go twice that year. Once in the spring and once in the early fall. It was not unusual for me to walk around with my mouth open absorbed in all the amazing things I was seeing. The castle cake was so detailed and so spectacular that I actually spent an hour siting on a bench and just looking at every inch. I probably swallow a hundred fly's and we were indeed very much a codfish.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom