Universal Epic Universe (South Expansion Complex) - Opens 2025

JT3000

So, we just have a new land added, Lockheed Martin land! The tours should be interesting.

They're one of Univeral's suppliers for the new park.

latest

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
According to insiders on the Universal forums the castle and village for the classic monsters is based around Frankenstein's Monster not Count Dracula. The castle is Dr. Frankenstein's castle and the ride will include all of the classic monsters except for the creature from the black lagoon who might be an expansion to the land in the future.

They're going to have to have next level SFX for such a ride (think Haunted Mansion on steroids) for such a weak IP, otherwise this will be another Fast and Furious.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
I think the Universal Monsters are like the classic Disney Animated films. They've been relevant since the 30's and will continue to be. Despite all of the recent terrible remakes.
You realize that their original appeal was to a generation now in their 80s, don't you?

This is the horror version of Toon Island. Ack!

lebeau

They're going to have to have next level SFX for such a ride (think Haunted Mansion on steroids) for such a weak IP, otherwise this will be another Fast and Furious.

I think it is hysterical that you say it has to be Haunted Mansion on steroids because the Universal Monsters which have been beloved for generations are a weak IP. Weaker than the Haunted Mansion which was not based on an IP? 🤣😆😂🤣

The Grand Inquisitor

I think it is hysterical that you say it has to be Haunted Mansion on steroids because the Universal Monsters which have been beloved for generations are a weak IP. Weaker than the Haunted Mansion which was not based on an IP? 🤣😆😂🤣
I think the land regardless will be amazing. The relevancy of the IP is irrelevant. Universal Monsters are classic and are extremely popular. Plus Frankenstein is a very popular character among kids and adults. Plus who wouldn't like a Haunted Mansion ride on steroids with all of the monsters!!!

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
Yeah, after all, no one knows who Frankenstien's monster is.... duh

The point being that F&F was a $5 Billion franchise and the ride fizzled.

Whether you think the Universal Monsters franchise is weak or strong, don't look to the franchise to save it if the ride is weak.

And yes, I contend the franchise is weak. I asked above when was the last time a Frankenstein remake was popular... as a satire in Young Frankenstein.

And Universal's version of Frankenstein's monster is especially weak compared to all the modern horror monster franchises. Same with Universal's version of Count Dracula.

You can clutch your pearls all you want when hearing someone claim it's a weak franchise. It is weak. It hasn't been leveraged as a strong franchise in the parks. Modern movies based on them fail. Grab your smelling salts and deal with it.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom