Universal Epic Universe (South Expansion Complex) - Opens 2025

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Ok, so after going over pages of the legalese (painful), I've noticed the following:

The quit claim deed assigning all rights, etc. to SLRC had the term "Less and Except" which I had missed. i.e. they retain ownership of the following plots or pieces of larger plots. The 4x OHL stay with Stan Thomas. He also retained portions of the following plots from UCPM:

Whole plot of
View attachment 280723

Partial retention (approximations in red) based on verbiage of quit claim deed:
View attachment 280724
View attachment 280725

Lastly, some kind of "Crescent Wetland", which I started to think was the eastern side of the plot Universal already had but doesn't seem to be the case. I can't place where this one is as the deed is very brief about this part. These are the parts that Thomas got new financing for. Hopefully ones the Assessor's office has their map update we'll have a much clearer picture.

Anyone curious enough to read the document can find it on the Orange County Comptroller's site. Doc # DOC2323S18360.

There is also a Right of First Refusal agreement between SLRC and UCPM.

New map. 1,444 acres...

1524780786314.png

Disneyhead'71

About the only thing that can be developed in watershed areas are golf courses.

I'm not sure if Comcast/Universal/NBC/Golf Channel would have any interest in developing a golf resort adjacent to the second largest convention center in the country.

Prolly not.

donsullivan

Premium Member
That makes it a little more clear what they've got. It seems that are a bunch of tentacles and/or all but discontiguous parcels (like behind the Hyatt) that are likely to get sold off to others as they would be difficult to integrate into a master plan. They'll also not likely be able to do anyting with that whole band along the east in the Shingle Creek water management path. But that does leave them with a big chunk of contiguous land in the middle. Now they just need to work on the owner of that apartment complex on the south side and they could potentially create an entrance gateway on the south side up Universal Drive from the 528.

Big Bang

About the only thing that can be developed in watershed areas are golf courses.

I'm not sure if Comcast/Universal/NBC/Golf Channel would have any interest in developing a golf resort adjacent to the second largest convention center in the country.

Prolly not.
I'd wager they are more likely to try to buy out Rosen Shingle Creek than ever try to build a Golf Resort on their own. Given its proximity to the future park(s), that would be the path of least resistance.

That makes it a little more clear what they've got. It seems that are a bunch of tentacles and/or all but discontiguous parcels (like behind the Hyatt) that are likely to get sold off to others as they would be difficult to integrate into a master plan. They'll also not likely be able to do anyting with that whole band along the east in the Shingle Creek water management path. But that does leave them with a big chunk of contiguous land in the middle. Now they just need to work on the owner of that apartment complex on the south side and they could potentially create an entrance gateway on the south side up Universal Drive from the 528.
I think Orange County already shot down the idea of try to extend Kirkman Rd down to 528. So far as I've read, Destination Pkwy was about as far as it was going to go.

Going to be interesting to see what they have in store. Even with things spread out a bit, that big chunk is still a lot more than they had to work with before they started going down this path.

JT3000

There really isn't that much in the way of connecting the two Universal properties. It could happen.....it also annoys me looking at that unconnected map. LOL.

Ehh... A single resort that's literally connected is impossible. In order to create a visually connected (barring I-4) resort, they'd have to buy up everything on both sides of Universal Blvd, all the way down to at least the Orlando Eye, and even then, they currently only have a small sliver of land to get around Lockheed. Can't go down Sand Lake, because Lockheed and Tangelo Park are right there on each side.

Last edited:

Big Bang

Some movement from some filings on 4/26. Universal filed updated mass grading permits. The new development area is starting to take shape.

Looking at a grand total of 578.1 acres for development currently. Universal is expected to file an updated master plan.

develop_updated.PNG

Tom Morrow

There really isn't that much in the way of connecting the two Universal properties. It could happen.....it also annoys me looking at that unconnected map. LOL.
I tried to come up with a way they could "connect" the two. It would involve creating a new road (red line) and buying the areas in yellow - honestly, nothing of any real value would be lost here and I'm sure they could afford it. Also, it looks kind of trashy and should be spruced up anyway if they want to keep a consist image around and between their properties.

UniversalLand.png

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I tried to come up with a way they could "connect" the two. It would involve creating a new road (red line) and buying the areas in yellow - honestly, nothing of any real value would be lost here and I'm sure they could afford it. Also, it looks kind of trashy and should be spruced up anyway if they want to keep a consist image around and between their properties.

View attachment 281716

All depends on how much Uni wants this to feel and look as one nice package. The cost of overpasses for their private connections would run, I guess, in the hundreds of millions. Meanwhile, the cost of bussing everywhere would only be in the tens of millions.

And if they can convince Orlando to just add more lanes and ramps to Universal Blvd, Kirkman Rd, and 482; then it would be free.

raven

Yawn ... just get on with it.

One theory for the lackluster new attractions of late put forward was because Universal were putting all their resources into a new park where we will see a clusture of new worldclass attraction - ie Nintendo Land.

Hopefully it will be built sometime before the year 2045
Unlike Disney, Universal keeps their projects underwrap longer. When they finally announce them those projects are usually built within 2 years. Disney, on the other hand, announces their projects very early to gain hype but then take 4+ years to build them. I prefer holding off announcing and a quick build over knowing early and waiting forever.

JT3000

Yawn ... just get on with it.

One theory for the lackluster new attractions of late put forward was because Universal were putting all their resources into a new park where we will see a clusture of new worldclass attraction - ie Nintendo Land.

Hopefully it will be built sometime before the year 2045

I've never seen anyone suggest that. Did you see no resources put into Volcano Bay? Or the doubling of their hotel room capacity? They aren't "saving up" for the 3rd gate. Creative greenlighting questionable projects is unrelated.

Yes, but i suppose with the ultimate indignity and shameful releases of Jimmy Fallon and Fast N Furious attractions makes you pine Universal keep up with Disney and bring some worldclass entertainment. Disney i'm afraid by next years opening of Star Wars will be killing it.

The new park was never going to be open to compete with Star Wars Land, so I don't know how that's at all relevant.

raven

Yes, but i suppose with the ultimate indignity and shameful releases of Jimmy Fallon and Fast N Furious attractions makes you pine Universal keep up with Disney and bring some worldclass entertainment. Disney i'm afraid by next years opening of Star Wars will be killing it.
Volcano Bay > consistently-being-repaired Disney water parks.

lebeau

So just curious, but what's the hold up ?

Why can't they just get on with this .... i am hoping to see a third park in my lifetime.

How much longer do you expect to live? I'm a modestly healthy middle-aged man. I don't think I'll have any problems lasting long enough to visit the new park. Do we need to have a telethon to keep you on life support or something?

Kidding aside, calm down. These things don't happen overnight. And when they are rushed, the results are less than optimal.

Big Bang

So just curious, but what's the hold up ?

Why can't they just get on with this .... i am hoping to see a third park in my lifetime.
All of the major hurdles are now clear. Universal filed mass grading permits and is expected to have their master permit filed before the end of the summer. From what I've gleaned from a variety of different articles is that they want to start construction by 2020. If this is correct, then they are attempting to get this project off the ground as fast as humanly possible.

Also bear in mind the scale. From what was filed thus far, we're looking at a project scale nearly the size of Animal Kingdom, though not all of that is for the park. It is going to be a very healthy sized expansion to their current offerings.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom