Universal Touring Plan

MaxsDad

Original Poster
Universal Touring Plan - Updated with Results!

We are going in a few weeks, once school starts on week days. Can give each park at least a day. Have never been before. Will not use express pass. So ...

Looking at the maps, and reading a bit about the attractions, would this be a sound strategy:

Universal Studios
At opening, go to Rip Ride Rockit and Mummy right off the bat. After that, it should be smooth sailing regardless, correct?

Islands of Adventure
At opening, should we follow the herd to WWoHP, going to Forbiden Journey first, then roam the land, then see the rest of the park, or do you think it would be best to go contrary to the herd, and turn left at opening and go to Spidey, Hulk, Dudley, Popeye, and Jurassic Park first, then over to WWoHP?

I suspect it may not really matter, as some of you may say. But even if it is dead, I feel having an effective plan enables you to amble about all the more, and enjoy a relaxed, leisure pace for the majority of the day.

UPDATE:

Went to Universal on the Tues after Labor Day. Decided to go to Islands of Adventure first. Got there just after opening. Went away from Potter. SO we get to Hulk, and it is down so we walk on Spiderman. Hulk still down. So we wlk on Jurrassic park, then Dudley Doo right, then Popeye. We are now soaked to the bone.
(Is this a water park, it sure feels like it!)
"People dryers" do not work BTW. Hulk is now open. Wait says 20, and it is that or less. Ride hulk, and make our way to Potter. Get to land at about 11:15. Land is packed. Gift shops/candy store is packed. Decide to eat at 3 broomsticks before it gets packed as it gets closer to noon. Wair about 5 minutes to get served. So we now head to Forbidden Journey. Wait says 50 minutes. We are fine with that as we have heard queue is great, and it is. Line is moving and plan seems to have worked. But then tragedy strikes. Ride "breaks" twice while we are in line and have waited over a half hour already. After two periods of standing still for long period of time, we have had it. Walk out of the line very dissappointed. Ride Dragon challenge- walk on. Ride Hippogrifth- 5 minute wait. FJ is still down. Leave park with really bad taste in my mouth, really appreciating Disney.

Next day, go straight to FJ just after opening, 20 minute wait. This ride is awesome. Bad taste removed. Go over to Universal Studios, and walk on about everything, others wait only 5-10 minutes. Leave satisfied by 1:30.

Overall, waits were short. Express pass was not needed. 2 day ticket is about right for both parks, unless you want to stay from open to close (we leave at the heat of day usually). Plan of not going to Potter first was sound. Would have worked like a charm if not for 1) Hulk being down and 2) FJ "breaking down". We went back on Sunday (yesterday) at about 11:30 or later. Went straight to FJ. Wait said 40, and it was that or less. Line moved really well. then went to Spiderman, waited about 5-10, then went to Mummy and walked on. Left paks about 1:30 with a much better impression than the first time. Will go back some day.

OklaHoops

Touring Plan

Consider going to MIB at Universal early. It seems to get very crowded later in the day.

Also The reset of IOA is not nearly as crowded as the HP area of the park. By all means go there first.:dazzle:

JillC LI

A full weekday at each park sounds like plenty of time regardless of your touring plan. The one thing I would note is that certain attractions in Universal do not open at park opening. When we were there last year, DD wanted to run to ET, but it didn't open until 10:30am. Same for Jaws and a few other attractions. RRR was also not open until midday but I think it was in soft-opening then so I would imagine it opens earlier now. Mummy definitely opened at park opening as did MIB because we headed there when ET was not open.

As for IoA, my gut tells me that you'll have shorter lines at the non-HP attractions if you start with those, but speaking for myself, I'm not sure I could show up at IoA and not immediately run to see HP-land! LOL. Unfortunately, I'm going to have to wait a few years to find out since we don't have enough time to get to US on our next trip to WDW, and the trip after that won't be for about 2 more years! :(

Pete C

At Universal Studios, Simpsons can also get a huge line. The line is slow moving, and completely outside in the heat. I'd get that one out of the way first since everyone heads to other rides which have higher capacity and faster moving lines. Simpsons and MIB are right next to each other...I'd go that way and work my way up to the best rides Mummy and Rockit.

A note about the water rides...these are excellent rides at IOA and don't get enough credit. Popeye's is bar-none the best water rapids ride ever conceived...it is very fun, but you will be SOAKED TO THE BONE if you don't wear a poncho. Do not wear shoes on this ride...stow them somewhere or wear flops, and get a poncho or you will regret it while you walk around wet and sticky all day.

Mark_E

Harry Potter had a 45 minute wait this morning at around 8:50am (before the park had even "opened"). The line moves very fast though. The line was posted at only 20 minutes at 8pm tonight though, so I'd say leave it till later.

We walked on Spider man at 8:30 ish, amazing that there was nobody going near.

MaxsDad

Original Poster
Harry Potter had a 45 minute wait this morning at around 8:50am (before the park had even "opened"). The line moves very fast though. The line was posted at only 20 minutes at 8pm tonight though, so I'd say leave it till later.

We walked on Spider man at 8:30 ish, amazing that there was nobody going near.

Thanks for the "real time" info, pardon the pun.

By 8:30ish at Spidey, I am taking that as PM.

Mark_E

Nope, 8:30 AM!
You could quite easily do all the Marvel attractions in half an hour that early. Basically they direct the hotel guests through Seuss towards Harry Potter. Everyone else was directed round the other way by Marvel/Toon Lagoon/Jurassic Park. Everyone was just walking straight past and through to HP Land (water rides didn't open till 9:30). It was quite busy today in the rest of the park/over at the studios, but it was manageable.

By the way, if you can, utilise single rider for Harry Potter after your first go (you must see the queue line though the first time!). We got on in 5 minutes both times we went into that line.

fosse76

If you get to IOA at opening, you should be able to get through the rides by noon...depending on how you deal with WWoHP. When I went, I got there a little after 9:30am and rode the Hulk (about a 2-minute wait). Next was Spiderman (which was about 15 minutes). Walked onto Bluto's Barges, waited about 10 minutes for Ripsaw Falls, and 25 minutes for Jurassic Park. Waited in line for butterbear for about 15 minutes, then walked around Hogsmeade soaking in the atmosphere and had lunch at the Three Broomsticks (ate early enough that the line was short). Headed for Dragon Challenge (walked on, but that didn't seem typical for the rest of my 3-day trip) and then did the single-rider line for Forbidden Journey (about ten minutes). Then rode Trolley in the Sky (20 minute wait) and Cat in the Hat (maybe 10 minutes). Worked my way back through WWoHP but the outdoor attractions were closed.

I pretty much followed that pattern the rest of my trip, and the mornings were fairly light with wait times.

disney4life2008

I am planning my August 2011 vacation with 2 teen boys. We will be there the 2nd week of August. I was wondering - how will the lines be during this time? The above postings are very helpful - I know WDW like the back of my hand but I can not navigate Universal for nothing. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Mark_E

May be quite busy in the second week of august because the schools will still be out but should still be managable (however i'd recommend at least 2 full days to get everything done in the busier times).

disney4life2008

May be quite busy in the second week of august because the schools will still be out but should still be managable (however i'd recommend at least 2 full days to get everything done in the busier times).

Do you recommend 2 full days for each park or 2 full days total? I currently have us at Universal Orlando 2 full days - 1 day for each park.

Mark_E

Yes you should get most things done. We did 4 days and had the most amazing time. If you have any other days spare it is like Disney in that the 3rd/4th days are very cheap, worth considering. I only did 1 day in each Disney park this year (mum and sister did an extra day in MK and EPCOT while I went to NYC with my dad) but I got on practically everything.

Have you been to Universal before/Recently?? I think they are incredible theme parks

disney4life2008

Yes you should get most things done. We did 4 days and had the most amazing time. If you have any other days spare it is like Disney in that the 3rd/4th days are very cheap, worth considering. I only did 1 day in each Disney park this year (mum and sister did an extra day in MK and EPCOT while I went to NYC with my dad) but I got on practically everything.

Have you been to Universal before/Recently?? I think they are incredible theme parks

We will have one day for all the parks (we only have 6 full days). Maybe the MK for a half day. I went to Universal Studios in 2009 but have not went to Islands of Adventure since 2001. I am a man of size so I dislike their seats (all made for little people) but I am currently on a life change of losing a significant amount of weight by next year. I agree - they are amazing parks (though when I am there it is easy to realize the Disney magic is not present, lol).

Mark_E

Hmm I disagree with respect to the magic not being there, I find them just as magical (and better) than the Disney parks. Great job and hope the weight loss works for you!

For Universal Studios, I would try to hit Disaster quite quickly, we waited 45 minutes for that one. Also, Uni/Islands have ALOT of single rider lines (Men in Black, Rip Ride Rockit, Revenge of the Mummy, Hulk, Doctor Doom, Spiderman, Harry Potter). Definitely consider using them, you will get on alot more (although for HP your first time must be through the main queue!)

disney4life2008

Hmm I disagree with respect to the magic not being there, I find them just as magical (and better) than the Disney parks. Great job and hope the weight loss works for you!

For Universal Studios, I would try to hit Disaster quite quickly, we waited 45 minutes for that one. Also, Uni/Islands have ALOT of single rider lines (Men in Black, Rip Ride Rockit, Revenge of the Mummy, Hulk, Doctor Doom, Spiderman, Harry Potter). Definitely consider using them, you will get on alot more (although for HP your first time must be through the main queue!)

Thanks for the tips!!!

JohnLocke

We went to the original US during Christmas 2 years ago and didn't really have to wait long for anything. I think the longest we waited for any rides were Disaster and Shrek, with the latter because they were still preparing the rides to start after opening. We pretty much walked on the money about 3-5 times in a row, and the only thing I didn't get to do was Terminator, because we were going to leave to eat lunch and head back to Disney and I just did miss the show before we left.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom