"Universal Studios"...... Yeah right!

AswaySuller

Original Poster
Most of you know I adore USF so please don't misinterpret this as a bashing because it's not!!!

But now Jaws has gone and they don't really film anything there what makes it "Universal".....???

Men in black - Columbia pictures
Simpsons - fox
Shrek - dreamworks
Beetlejuice - geffen
T2 - carolco/pacific western
Harry potter - Warner bros

So what have we got?
ET
Mummy
Despicable me
Twister

I think that's it.....

AswaySuller

Original Poster
Without sounding rude, how is that relevant?

I didn't say "let's compare the two, aren't universal bad?"

Not everyone that says anything constructive about universal is "team Disney" because trust me, I'm not!

And you also missed out Indianna Jones and virtually everything in 'The Great Movie Ride'

Pioneer Hall

It's all about licensing there, and even when those parks were built that was the name of the game. I think Woody Woodpecker is the only thing in the parks that is solely owned by Universal and doesn't have some sort of licensing agreement attached to it.

AswaySuller

Original Poster
Yeah that's fair enough, I know movies cost so much so quite often studios split the funding / risk. I think Avatar was funded by 3 or more studios.

I think it's also a reflection on the Universal studios themselves maybe im old but I'm not sure they make movies like they used to..... Certainly not as high quality as frequently anyways.

Pioneer Hall

Yeah that's fair enough, I know movies cost so much so quite often studios split the funding / risk. I think Avatar was funded by 3 or more studios.

I think it's also a reflection on the Universal studios themselves maybe im old but I'm not sure they make movies like they used to..... Certainly not as high quality as frequently anyways.

Depending on tastes, I guess you can really say that about any movie studio out there.

Thrill

True, but as mentioned before, DHS has the same issue. The thing with DHS is that some of it can be excused (The Great Movie Ride, really) because it was Disney-MGM Studios.

Timekeeper

Here's some sobering info:

filmcompaniesownership.jpg

:cry:

gboiler1

It's all more let's ride the movies theme these days, not solely dependent on one studio. Almost like a sponsorship in many ways the same way ballparks and stadiums sell naming right.

I'm making my first trip to USF in March, but have been to USH a few times. The backlot tour really was the attraction that made it all Universal in the beginning, but times change.

I guess the point is just enjoy the experiences, regardless of where they came from.

Captain Chaos

Absolutely, and I do.
I just wasn't sure if it was easier/cheaper/the preferred choice to pick universal attractions over licensing them out.

My opinion, not many of Universal's new movies really lend themselves to a theme park attraction or experience...

Today's theme park world seems to be about giving the guests the newest and most exciting franchise... Disney is doing so with the Princesses, Toy Story, and Cars... Universal is giving guests the hottest franchise today (Potter)... While Amity was a nice area and Jaws was a perfectly fine and enjoyable attraction, Potter brings in more guests and more importantly, more merchandise money... So, from a business stand point, removing Jaws for Potter makes sense... Sure, the Jaws fans are upset, but who will be catered to more?? The handful of Jaws the attraction fans or millions of Potter fans eager to spend a ton of money on Potter merchandise, flood the parks, and increase intake in bottom line money??

Crockett

Banned
The bigger question is: How can US or DHS really call themselves "Studios". Sure, they are both theme parks with a movie/television premise. But that's no different than, say, Warner Bros. Movie World parks. DHS had working animation departments in place back when it opened as MGM in '89. But what now? Uni does live tapings of Wrestling in some of the sound stages. But other than that, how are either studios like Uni in LA?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom