Universal signs deal with Legendary Entertainment

GrumpyFan

Original Poster
Various news sources are reporting that NBCUniversal and Legendary Entertainment have signed a deal to work together on upcoming projects and distribution. In case you're not familiar with them, they are the studio behind a few successful films of the last decade, including: The Dark Knight trilogy, Superman Returns and Man of Steel, Where the Wild Things Are, Clash of the Titans, The Hangover trilogy, and this weekend’s Pacific Rim.

Now, I'm just (wildly) speculating here, but is it possible they could be working to try and secure the IP rights for some of the DC characters, maybe to give them a backup or leverage for releasing Marvel to Disney? It's a stretch, I know, because, so far I think the deal only allows for distribution rights and potential development of future properties, plus I think the DC properties are still tied to Warner Bros and the Six Flags parks. But, if nothing else, it sounds like they (Universal) are making some moves that might change things in the not so distant future.

http://variety.com/2013/biz/news/legendary-entertainment-moves-to-universal-1200555717/

Zman-ks

Interesting...thanks for sharing.
75.gif

SirLink

Various news sources are reporting that NBCUniversal and Legendary Entertainment have signed a deal to work together on upcoming projects and distribution. In case you're not familiar with them, they are the studio behind a few successful films of the last decade, including: The Dark Knight trilogy, Superman Returns and Man of Steel, Where the Wild Things Are, Clash of the Titans, The Hangover trilogy, and this weekend’s Pacific Rim.

Now, I'm just (wildly) speculating here, but is it possible they could be working to try and secure the IP rights for some of the DC characters, maybe to give them a backup or leverage for releasing Marvel to Disney? It's a stretch, I know, because, so far I think the deal only allows for distribution rights and potential development of future properties, plus I think the DC properties are still tied to Warner Bros and the Six Flags parks. But, if nothing else, it sounds like they (Universal) are making some moves that might change things in the not so distant future.

http://variety.com/2013/biz/news/legendary-entertainment-moves-to-universal-1200555717/

Or more likely they want a way to get Godzilla in the parks ...

NowInc

Could be wrong, but theres more than just getting the movie rights to these characters that will allow them to appear in theme parks. The characters themselves are not property of Legendary pictures...DC would have to agree...and end their long running relationship with six flags...

GrumpyFan

Original Poster
Could be wrong, but theres more than just getting the movie rights to these characters that will allow them to appear in theme parks. The characters themselves are not property of Legendary pictures...DC would have to agree...and end their long running relationship with six flags...

Yeah, mentioned that in my comments, "the DC properties are still tied to Warner Bros and the Six Flags parks".

BigThunderMatt

Yeah, mentioned that in my comments, "the DC properties are still tied to Warner Bros and the Six Flags parks".

I wonder if they're kicking themselves now after seeing how Marvel got integrated into the theme park industry. Lord knows any idiot can name an off-the shelf coaster after a superhero but it takes some real genius to come up with a ride like Spider-Man. For the record, Hulk wasn't off the shelf either.

Travel Junkie

Six Flags uses the DC Comics brand so much it would probably take a pretty penny for them to relinquish the rights. Even then, they would have to get Warner Bros. permission to use anything from the Dark Knight trilogy or anything that was done under the WB brand. They still own the rights to the films they distribute. Anything done without their permission would have to stay true to the comics, not the films.

I believe the new Godzilla is done under the WB brand as well, so they would need their permission to create a ride based on that soon to be released movie. Legendary's old agreement with WB still stands and just because Legendary will distribute future films under the Uni logo doesn't equate all Legendary films fall under Uni's control. It is future films made with Universal that will not have all the rights issues, which is exciting.

mvieguy

I can say this. Not worried about any IP for DC characters deal.

however, I do have high hopes for other Legendary Properties. Uni already has/had King Kong. creating a Godzilla Attraction would be awesome.

Clash of the Titans, 300, Where the Wild things are, Pacific Rim.

although I wouldnt put any money into a theme park division of Legendary. Universal Pictures gets the Legendary Pictures stuff. but then again 80% of their Schitck is CGI

Hobnail Boot

Six Flags uses the DC Comics brand so much it would probably take a pretty penny for them to relinquish the rights.
My understanding is that Six Flags has the rights to DC comic characters in states that have Six Flags parks. So if Uni had rights to DC characters (which, to my understanding, they don't), there is no Six Flags park in Florida so they could use them there but not in Hollywood. The film versions are another matter I think, not entirely sure.

fosse76

My understanding is that Six Flags has the rights to DC comic characters in states that have Six Flags parks. So if Uni had rights to DC characters (which, to my understanding, they don't), there is no Six Flags park in Florida so they could use them there but not in Hollywood. The film versions are another matter I think, not entirely sure.
Yeah. That's not at all true. Wrong. Six Flags has EXCLUSIVE theme park rights to DC Comics characters (excluding, bizzarely enough, Las Vegas). In their most recent 10-K filing, they describe it as long-term. So I wouldn't count on seeing these characters at Universal anytime in the near future.

"We have the exclusive right on a long-term basis to theme park usage of the Warner Bros. and DC Comics animated characters throughout the United States (except for the Las Vegas metropolitan area), Canada, Mexico and certain other countries."

Travel Junkie

Six Flags deal is comic book only but is pretty much country wide. The following article from themeparkinsider talks about the rights.

http://www.themeparkinsider.com/flume/201307/3558/

GrumpyFan

Original Poster
Just speculating and maybe dreaming a little, but I wonder if Universal could convince Warner/DC to share those character rights, at least for Florida since Six Flags doesn't have a presence there. Then they could sell the rights back to Disney for Marvel. May be wishful thinking, but who knows, stranger things have happened.

GrumpyFan

Original Poster
Six Flags deal is comic book only but is pretty much country wide. The following article from themeparkinsider talks about the rights.

http://www.themeparkinsider.com/flume/201307/3558/

I have to question the animated "comic book only" clause. I believe most SF parks had live action representations of the Batman characters from the Tim Burton movie series, starring Michael Keaton, Val Kilmer and George Clooney :eek: , not sure what that means as far as Nolan's character representations, are these considered the same IP since their origin is the comic books? Starting to get confused.

Travel Junkie

^^^ Time Warner (WB's parent company) owned Six Flags during the Tim Burton era of Batman films. When they sold the parks off, it's possible there was something in there that allowed them to continue to have things inspired by those era of films. Speculation on my part.

It's easy to get confused. Things change hands so often. Like playing monopoly with real houses.

GrumpyFan

Original Poster
^^^ Time Warner (WB's parent company) owned Six Flags during the Tim Burton era of Batman films. When they sold the parks off, it's possible there was something in there that allowed them to continue to have things inspired by those era of films. Speculation on my part.

It's easy to get confused. Things change hands so often. Like playing monopoly with real houses.

More like the ball under the cup game. Where's the ball now/who owns it now?

FLYbyNITE

I saw the Pacific Rim trailor a few days ago and the first thought that came to my head was; how I could see the the theme parks developing all kinds of stuff (rides, merchandising, etc) for this. I didn't expect to see a deal this soon!

GrumpyFan

Original Poster
I saw the Pacific Rim trailor a few days ago and the first thought that came to my head was; how I could see the the theme parks developing all kinds of stuff (rides, merchandising, etc) for this. I didn't expect to see a deal this soon!

I don't disagree, but the problem with that, at least for Universal, is that they already have Transformers in the parks, and Pacific Rim is very similar, at least in appearance. So, how would they distinguish the two?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom