Universal reports record profit

speck76

Original Poster
Universal reports record profit
Despite an 11 percent plummet in theme park attendance last year
Scott Powers | Sentinel Staff Writer
Posted March 31, 2006, 10:37 AM EST

Despite an 11 percent plummet in theme park attendance last year, the parent company of Universal Orlando is reporting an increase in profit to record levels in 2005.

In its annual report filed this morning with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission, Universal City Development Partners reported a $141 million operating profit in 2005, up from the previous record of $137 million in 2004.

The privately held company managed to improve its bottom line by cutting spending and getting more income from several nontheme park operations such as hotel leases and corporate sponsorships.

"Our positive financial performance during 2005 is a credit to the strength and dedication of our management team and our employees," Bob Gault, president of Universal Orlando Resort, said in a written statement. "During a year that included some attendance challenges, we were able to control our costs and increase our revenue-per-guest so that we actually grew our operating income. We are a stronger business today because of the work we did during 2005."

The combined paid attendance for the company's two Orlando parks, Universal Studios and Islands of Adventure, was reported at 10,772,000. That's an 11 percent drop from 2004's record attendance. The decline also is steeper than observers had expected. Amusement Business, a trade magazine, reported in January an estimated 8.5 percent drop in attendance for Universal's Orlando parks last year.

Universal blamed the drop in attendance on several factors, including competition with Walt Disney World, which ran a strong marketing campaign last year, gas prices and consumer sentiment.

The workforce was among the cuts the company made. The company reported it had 12,900 employees in 2005, which was down 700 workers from what Universal said in its 2004 report. The company's workforce numbers reflect a 9 percent cut in salaried workers and a 5 percent cut in hourly wage employees last year.

Scott Powers can be reached at spowers@orlandosentinel.com or 407-420-5441.

CTXRover

Ouch.

Record profit or not for the parent company, that's quite a bit of troubling news for the Orlando based theme parks. An 11% drop in attendance last year can't be good no matter what spin they put on it, especially when the competition down the road is having relatively stellar attendance. Both park's combined attendance is now only 1.8 million more than when it was just one park in 1998.

Legacy

It's actually understandable. Most everybody came to Universal last year to ride Revenge of the Mummy and Shrek. This year had NOTHING going for it... including a dismal HHN attendance count. Throw in the massive campaigning by Disney for any and every possible thing under the sun and the highest gas prices this nation has ever seen, and people AREN'T going to go... plain and simple.

An 11% dip hurts, but with the opening of the Driving Machines (or whatever it's called now) and the rumor of a new big attraction hitting IoA relatively soon, I expect that dip to slowly turn around.

Tekneek

I am not too surprised. They've been laying people off in droves and cutting back tremendously. Cutting your way to profits is a short term strategy that can have long term negatives. I hope they intend to spend the money if they want people to come back.

CTXRover

Legacy said:
It's actually understandable. Most everybody came to Universal last year to ride Revenge of the Mummy and Shrek. This year had NOTHING going for it...

Major new additions like ROTM should be able to, at the very least, sustain attendance for more than 6 months to a year after they open. I very much doubt Universal execs find that understandable. Remember, as I mentioned above, the combined attendance for the entire resort is now a measly 1.8 million more than Universal Studios attracted by itself in 1998, pre-IOA/citywalk era. I realize that UO is more of a locally driven destination vs Disney, but there is no doubt there was more to their attendance woes than gas prices and a big marketing push by Disney. Afterall, that Disney marketing push got a lot more people to visit the Orlando area in 2005, but the reality is Disney finally developed a successful way to keep people on their property. It seems pretty obvious now that wiithout that extra influx from the Disney crowd, Universal had a tough year. If they can't figure out a way to get those people to come back, I imagine they will continue to have a few tough years to come. Opening up what appears to be a kid-based ride (it may be more...I don't know) that should have opened with the park 7 years ago isn't going to bump attendance up that much imo. I hope they can continue to give Disney good competition....its what keeps both resorts on their toes and ensures new and unique experiences for all of us to enjoy.

Tekneek

CTXRover said:
I hope they can continue to give Disney good competition....its what keeps both resorts on their toes and ensures new and unique experiences for all of us to enjoy.

Indeed. It is in the best interest of anyone that goes to either, or both, Universal and/or WDW that they both continue to operate and compete for our money and time.

Legacy

CTXRover said:
Major new additions like ROTM should be able to, at the very least, sustain attendance for more than 6 months to a year after they open. I very much doubt Universal execs find that understandable. Remember, as I mentioned above, the combined attendance for the entire resort is now a measly 1.8 million more than Universal Studios attracted by itself in 1998, pre-IOA/citywalk era. I realize that UO is more of a locally driven destination vs Disney, but there is no doubt there was more to their attendance woes than gas prices and a big marketing push by Disney. Afterall, that Disney marketing push got a lot more people to visit the Orlando area in 2005, but the reality is Disney finally developed a successful way to keep people on their property. It seems pretty obvious now that wiithout that extra influx from the Disney crowd, Universal had a tough year. If they can't figure out a way to get those people to come back, I imagine they will continue to have a few tough years to come. Opening up what appears to be a kid-based ride (it may be more...I don't know) that should have opened with the park 7 years ago isn't going to bump attendance up that much imo. I hope they can continue to give Disney good competition....its what keeps both resorts on their toes and ensures new and unique experiences for all of us to enjoy.
I'm sure that this is a good thing, in the long run. GE/NBC is going to want to see profits more than anything else. If Universal can make profits AND have a major dip in attendance like that, the parks and then justify actually having more money thrown at it to increase attendance ("We got you this much money in bad year, just imagine if we had the investments to add some really cool stuff, too!").

beyondthepalace

Legacy said:
I'm sure that this is a good thing, in the long run. GE/NBC is going to want to see profits more than anything else. If Universal can make profits AND have a major dip in attendance like that, the parks and then justify actually having more money thrown at it to increase attendance ("We got you this much money in bad year, just imagine if we had the investments to add some really cool stuff, too!").

I am probably the biggest pro universal/anti Disney person around, with that here is my take on the news. Last year, obviously, sucked for us. Disney kicked our ______ ten fold, there is no denying that. Is there anyplace that can beat a company that opened Soarin, a new show at MK AND MGM, plus the planning for a new roller coaster (Everest)? Most likely not. The good news is, as stated above is that the people who did come to our parks, spent more money. UO had a 6.4 percent increase in items such as CityWalk, the hotel rooms, corporate events, etc. So even in a crap year we did ok money wise.
Also stated above is a great though of "Hey we got this much for this bad year, maybe if you gave us more to spend we would be returning record numbers" So hopefully GE/NBC will be willing to take a small rish.
I get really frustrated on these boards listening to people who try and compare Disney to UO. UO technically is in competition with Disney, however, we are simply offering a different product. We have attractions, shows, etc. that Disny will not do. UO is slowly starting to catch on with getting guests to come to UO as their main destination and go to Disney as a side trip. We still have a long ways to go but we are taking good baby steps.

speck76

Original Poster
Well...they are finally moving on something in LA

Universal Moves to Develop Property
Homeowner groups opposed an earlier effort to build on the 400-acre Cahuenga Pass site.
By Roger Vincent, Times Staff Writer
March 23, 2006

NBC Universal said Wednesday that it had hired a prominent Los Angeles real estate developer and architectural firm to create a plan for future construction at Universal City that may include housing, offices, stores and production facilities.

The 400-acre parcel in the Cahuenga Pass is considered one of the region's prime pieces of real estate. But development plans by previous owners of Universal came to nothing amid vociferous opposition from neighbors and community leaders concerned about increased traffic congestion.

By suggesting that the company would take more time and create an open process, Universal's latest announcement was seen as an effort to create community goodwill and prevent another debilitating showdown. The studio already has reached out to public officials and nearby homeowner groups, which appear to be waiting for more details before taking a stand.

"We're trying to be transparent," said Ron Meyer, president of NBC Universal's Universal Studios unit.

Patrick Garner, a representative of the Toluca Lake Residents Assn. who described himself as the major opponent of Universal's last failed development plan, said he gave the studio credit for trying harder to work with homeowners this time around.

"They've got to [build] something," Garner said.

Developer Thomas Properties Group Inc. and architectural firm Rios Clementi Hale Studios will evaluate the four main components of Universal's real estate and suggest additions and improvements.

The lot is divided into its core studio, where movies and television shows are made; its back lot, which doubles as a filming backdrop and tourist attraction; its entertainment center including CityWalk and the Universal Studios Hollywood theme park; and its business district with offices and hotels. The back lot also includes several acres of raw land.

The property is one of the largest under-built pieces of real estate in the region, said Jim Thomas, president of Thomas Properties.

"Sooner or later, it's going to get developed," Thomas said. "I can't think of another piece of land in Los Angeles that is as key as this one."

Thomas took part in the early stages of development at Playa Vista near Marina del Rey when he was a partner in Maguire Thomas Partners. His company, formed in 1996, owns City National Plaza in downtown Los Angeles.

Thomas is a co-chair of the Grand Avenue Committee, which is planning a $1.8-billion mixed-use project in downtown Los Angeles around Disney Hall.

Rios Clementi Hale is also working on the Grand Avenue project.

And it has designed the Nokia Plaza entertainment venue under construction next to Staples Center, as well as improvements to the Westfield Century City shopping center.

The arrival of Thomas as a partner indicates that Universal intends to pursue development on its own instead of carving off pieces to sell to builders. None of the property is for sale, Meyer said.

Meyer was also eager to distance future proposals from a 1996 plan by previous owners Seagram Co. and Vivendi Universal that could have doubled the amount of development on the site by creating a 24-hour resort and entertainment complex.

"The last plan was more Orlando," said Meyer, referring to the company's Florida theme park and hotel collection. "We're not looking at a resort destination."

More-urgent needs can be found for the studio, which is often operating at 95% of capacity, Meyer said. The operation has grown for years while the lot has not.

The studio has had to find space for its home entertainment division and media Internet operation as well as its specialty label Focus Features. The studio's 30 soundstages are usually booked 24 hours a day, with internal house productions having to share space with outside television, commercial and movie productions that rent the spaces.

The studio may also attempt to build more office and hotel buildings along Lankershim Boulevard, officials said.

The back lot may get new production facilities such as the Wysteria Lane set now being used to film the "Desperate Housewives" television show, or it may be redeveloped with residential and retail use. Earlier real estate industry reports have suggested that the back lot could accommodate hundreds of homes or thousands of apartments and condos.

CityWalk and the theme park might also be improved, and the various parts of the studio could be better linked to one another and the surrounding community, said architect Bob Hale, managing principal at Rios Clementi Hale.

Studio executives predicted that it would take four to six months to create a preliminary plan and as much as three years to gain construction approvals while attempting to satisfy the concerns of neighbors and city and county officials.

"They are not going to go crazy because nobody is going to let them," said county Supervisor Zev Yaroslavsky, who added that he had "no idea what they have in mind" yet.

Meyer said the development team was aware of traffic concerns and was examining solutions that might include building additional roads connecting the lot with surrounding streets.

Garner of the Toluca Lake Residents Assn. said a residential component would probably be the most benign addition.

"On the other hand," Garner said, "they are just creating another major homeowner group they are going to have to deal with."

Times staff writer Lorenza Muñoz contributed to this report

JROK

That's good news! Earlier this year there was talk of tearing down some of the backlot, but I guess that got jarbled and really they're going to expand it... good to know that they're opperating at 95% cappacity... stay busy Universal, you know movies!!

JROK said:
That's good news! Earlier this year there was talk of tearing down some of the backlot, but I guess that got jarbled and really they're going to expand it... good to know that they're opperating at 95% cappacity... stay busy Universal, you know movies!!

You think? IMO Universal's movies have pretty much sucked for the last 5 years or so... They seem to make teen-comedies and some sucky horror flicks I haven't seen a "classic" come from them in a loooooooooooong time.

JROK

Julius & Boobah said:
You think? IMO Universal's movies have pretty much sucked for the last 5 years or so... They seem to make teen-comedies and some sucky horror flicks I haven't seen a "classic" come from them in a loooooooooooong time.

Brokeback Mountain is a teen comedy?

NemoRocks78

Seized
Julius & Boobah said:

Here's every movie they're releasing in 2006, along with the ones from 2004-2005:
- The Good Shepherd
- The Children of Men
- The Black Dahlia
- Idlewild
- Accepted
- Miami Vice
- You, Me and Dupree
- The Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift
- The Break-Up
- United 93
- American Dreamz
- Slither
- Inside Man
- Curious George
- Nanny McPhee
- Munich
- The Producers
- King Kong
- Jarhead
- Prime
- Doom
- Two for the Money
- Serenity
- The 40-Year-Old Virgin
- The Skeleton Key
- George A. Romero's Land of the Dead
- The Perfect Man
- Cinderella Man
- The Interpreter
- The Wedding Date
- White Noise
- In Good Company
- Meet the Fockers
- Bridget Jones: The Edge of Reason
- Ray
- Friday Night Lights
- Wimbledon
- Thunderbirds
- The Bourne Supremacy
- Two Brothers
- The Chronicles of Riddick
- Van Helsing
- Dawn of the Dead
- Along Came Polly

The following have been released through their Focus Features division, which is sort of like their own Miramax:
- Brick
- Dave Chappelle's Block Party
- Winter Passing
- Something New
- Brokeback Mountain
- The Ice Harvest
- Pride & Prejudice
- The Constant Gardener
- Broken Flowers

Could someone show me a bad teen comedy or a sucky horror film from that list?

Speaking of sucky horror films, BTW, I'm 100% positive that Buena Vista just released an absolutely horrible horror film known as Stay Alive.

I'm as much a Universal fanatic as anyone but....

- Miami Vice
- You, Me and Dupree
- American Dreamz
- Curious George
- Doom
- Two for the Money
- The 40-Year-Old Virgin
- The Interpreter
- The Wedding Date
- White Noise
- Meet the Fockers
- Thunderbirds
- Van Helsing
- Dawn of the Dead (re-make)
- Along Came Polly

They're hardly going to go down in movie making history now are they? I don't think anyone can call any of the above a "classic" hell I'm not sure you could call many of those remotley credible!!!

Ok Brokeback probably will be considered one, and for their small involvment in Kong. But for a studio who was once IMO THE leading hollywood studio I think they've let themselves go.

JROK

Julius & Boobah said:
But for a studio who was once IMO THE leading hollywood studio I think they've let themselves go.

So what Studio out there do you think is better? I mean Universal has brought us great movies in the past, mostly with Speilberg's involvement, but what great movies have come out in the past 5 years? Not really any... so... what studio is this beakon of hope in your opinion?

Warner, New line and fox are doing some pretty interesting stuff.. I didn't think Spielberg was much to do with Universal anymore certainly not as much as he was in the 80's.

JROK

Julius & Boobah said:
Warner, New line and fox are doing some pretty interesting stuff.. I didn't think Spielberg was much to do with Universal anymore certainly not as much as he was in the 80's.

His last two films, War of the Worlds and Munich, were Universal releases... He also lets Universal use his Dreamworks stuff... so...

JROK

Julius & Boobah said:

And all Newline does is cheap teen comedies and horror flicks... I'll say Warner is pretty good... And Fox is nice, although I like Fox Searchlight better, but honestly, Universal is the greatest studio of today...

Legacy

Julius & Boobah said:
I'm as much a Universal fanatic as anyone but....

- Miami Vice
- You, Me and Dupree
- American Dreamz
- Curious George
- Doom
- Two for the Money
- The 40-Year-Old Virgin
- The Interpreter
- The Wedding Date
- White Noise
- Meet the Fockers
- Thunderbirds
- Van Helsing
- Dawn of the Dead (re-make)
- Along Came Polly

They're hardly going to go down in movie making history now are they? I don't think anyone can call any of the above a "classic" hell I'm not sure you could call many of those remotley credible!!!

Ok Brokeback probably will be considered one, and for their small involvment in Kong. But for a studio who was once IMO THE leading hollywood studio I think they've let themselves go.
They may not go down in history as great films, but in reality how many do?

All that matters is that Universal makes movies that make money... and there really aren't that many studios who can claim that any more.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom