Universal Pros and Cons...kinda

popsicletrees

I have been to Universal several times and I agree that it doesn't have nearly the same "vibe" as Disney. However, I really don't think that Universal wants that vibe. My biggest complaint about Universal is the layout of the park. At the MK where the castle is the central hub is really convenient to get to other lands. At Universal two lakes are the central hub forcing you to go through the park in a circle. It is okay to go around in a circle the first time through the park, but at the end of the day if you want to do the Hulk one more time and you are at Dueling Dragons it takes awhile to walk there. Other than that they have some amazing rollercoasters.

kcnole

Universal's one day ticket is more expensive than Disney but nothing else really is. Right now you can get an annual pass for Universal for 179 dollars that is actually good for two years. So in essence you get an annual pass for 90 dollars and a renewal for 90 dollars.

I wish they had a value resort, but there three hotels aren't any worse than Disney's comparable hotels. The food is about the same, etc... I really don't think either park is too expensive for what they offer.

Here's what I posted about Universal on another site.

Personally the only two parks you can really compare between Universal and Disney is MGM and Universal Studios.

Given that comparison I think MGM slightly nudges out Universal due to better theming and Tower of Terror. Other than that, they are very close to the same quality and I enjoy them about the same and in some ways I like Universal better. Other than Tower I think they have a better selection of rides and there shows are more what I enjoy.

MGM doesn't have anything like Jaws (when it's working) and ET. Granted ET is a little dated but still fun. RNR and The Mummy are probably a tie as are BTTF and Star Tours. Star Tours may be slightly better due to its wonderful queue and theming, but neither ride stands out above the other. Universal also has two other motion simulator rides which help even out the backlot tour and GMR. Universal no longer has their water stunt show from what I understand though which was a great show back in the day.

So I say Universal Studios and MGM are probably a close tie with MGM pulling a slight lead just due to how wonderfully themed the hollywood areas are.

I haven't had the opportunity to visit IOA yet so I can't speak to it. I don't think Disney has a park quite like it though. It's more of a mixture of The Magic Kingdom and Six Flags in my opinion.

jozzmenia

jaredliu said:
Evil Empire is always better than every other park in the world, hum? How many times you have to repeat the same thing? By the way comparing Fiona to Dinsey's "happily-lived-after" Princesses is stupid. Fiona became a ogre. That is my opinion. Whether or not you agree with me, that is your opinion.

I think Fiona had a happily ever after because she was happy as an ogre. that' not stupid. i don't see why everything with universal has to be either "not as good as Disney" or "sucks compared to Disney" etc. i realize that the occasional comparison is inevitable, but i think they are good park in their own right. both parks are good parks.

jozzmenia

NemoRocks said:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

That has to be the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. The hotels are cheaper and at the same or better quality (plus you get FREE EXPRESS) as the WDW moderate/deluxe resorts. I just did a quick search on Expedia, and a room at the Portofino Bay Hotel, which woud be a deluxe at WDW, is $289 a night (Royal Pacific was $229 and Hard Rock was $259). Price of a standard view room at the Yacht Club? $345. The counter service food may cost a dollar or two more than at WDW, but the food is definitely a heck of a lot better. Not only that, but UO gives their Annual Passholders 15% off at restaurants and 20% off merchandise. What does WDW give their Annual Passholders? 10% off Monday - Friday for lunch at World Showcase, DTD, and a few hotel table service restaurants and merchandise discounts only at DTD stores.

I agree. That's exactly why we ended up doing just universal over memorial day. since we won the free trip to orlando, we knew we were going back, and universal is perfect for a long weekend on a tight budget. we bought the annual pass and we saw everything we wanted to in 2 days, including INCREDIBLE margaritas at margaritaville :slurp:. although we were a bit annoyed that we redeemed our annual passes AFTER paying full price for sunglasses and a $20 dispsosable camera :mad: which means we didn't get to take advantage of that discount...:fork:

ANYWAY, i remember thinking universal hotels were overpriced, but i felt the same about disney at one time. i think disney's best hotel beats universal's best hotel, but that's an unfair comparison, as is everthing else since disney is clearly so much bigger.

i think universal is just a cheaper place to go in general and ideal for a weekend trip (which is just enough time to see everything) and Disney is more expensive, but better for a VACATION, when u have 7 days and lots of money to spare. :sohappy: if i did disney on just a weekend trip, i think i would go crazy trying to do so much in a short time period...

M. Racer

I always find this debate interesting. My wife and I visit UO and IOA almost as often as WDW. We're coaster freaks, and also love Spiderman. At UO we
think BTTF, Terminator and Shrek rock.(others too!) The parks are both great fun.
We both enjoy the experience offered by WDW a little more. The theming, park layouts, attractions, and building designs are just a bit more to our liking.
At Universal we tend to hustle to the next thrill ride/attraction. At Disney, we tend to enjoy the entire park experience more and thus, take our time really looking at everything.
I'm not quite sure how to explain it, but Disney seems to have something
"extra". Just our opinion. I don't know if it makes a difference, but we are 40 somethings with no kids.

jozzmenia

will_rogers said:
Last week I spent some time at UO with a buddy of mine.

[edited to save space...]

That is my opinion. Whether or not you agree with me, that is your opinion.

Disney may bot be perfect either but I'm much more proud to be a WDW fan and feel like I'm part of a community of respectable people...and the numbers prove it, Disney's ship is afloat and steadfast.

I was reading your post and realized that some of the content was familiar from the other thread, but didn't think it was anything to get all bent out of shape over...:animwink:

more importantly, u made mewant to post about MY recent trip...

we went over memorial day weekend. came in friday night, left monday evening. the plan was to eat and club on friday night, universal on saturday, disney on sunday (we had sunday night reservations at Boma). however, on sunday we were tied up in a timeshare presentation from 7:30am to about 2pm :fork: and our hotel was right on universal blvd so it was difficult to and not wise to go to Disney for 1/2 a day when we had the universal passes. we were leaning that way anyway, since as i mentioned in another thread, we won a free trip to orlando (which i just picked up today:sohappy:) the day before we left on memorial day weekend. so we figured, universal this trip, disney next trip. :p

ANYWAY, u brought up some interesting points that i noticed from my trip to.

i totally agree with u on the timeshare/credit card people thing. of course i am annoyed b/c we got into the timeshare DAY. i signed up by the men in black ride so i'm a little bitter about it. :lookaroun also, i remember the credit card companies, who some how managed to convince us that we really wanted that crappy 25 cent backpack...:brick: so we applied...:hammer: do we get cool points for not giving them our social security number? :confused:

frankly, i dont care about the details of the theming at universal. i love all the rides and they are super fun. i'm not thinking, "hmmm, is this actually a real statue from an authentic egyptian pyramid" on the mummy or "would there really be this much water in an EARTHQUAKE" or "i don't remember this in the plot of TERMINATOR 2" etc. I'm thinking, "These rides are DARN fun!!!! and they have GREAT special effects!!!!" I enjoyed Jaws because despite the fact that's it's outdated, it's a classic universal ride and our tour guide was great and very into his role. All of the rides at IOA are just super fun! and the effects and animation on Ripsaw Falls and Popeyes Barges were better than any other amusement park i've been to with innertube or splash/drop rides. they were just great! i don't know what the need is to be so critical, but we had an amazing time. i see the same thing with disney though. people complaining about the theming on ToT and other rides, when i think they are all sooo fun and the technology at Disney AND Universal is just incredible. i really don't have too much to complain about with the rides at either park, except maybe the lines :brick:.

my signature quote: I LOVE BOTH PARKS!!!! :D

jaredliu

I just can't figure why people always compare with USF. Yeah USF is no better than Disney, but heck Disney has a lot more money than USF. I believe if USF had the same amount of budget they would've done a lot of theming and storytelling or whatever you want. Why not comparing to DLParis, TDL? That will be a fair comparasion as far as I am concerned.

jaredliu

pluto77 said:
Let's not forget this is a disney fan site. Referring to Disney as an "Evil Empire" probably isn't the best thing to do here.

By the way, there is a walk around character of Princess Fiona before she became an ogre at Universal.
Well, I apologize.

Mick_claw

bsandersjr, that is the best avatar. When we settled in the room to rest in between parks at OKW, I couldn't tear my eyes from his commercial. I don't know if it was because it was so bad or if it was so entertaining. Anyway very cool.

bsandersjr

Mick_claw said:
bsandersjr, that is the best avatar. When we settled in the room to rest in between parks at OKW, I couldn't tear my eyes from his commercial. I don't know if it was because it was so bad or if it was so entertaining. Anyway very cool.

AndyMagic

Those that criticize Universal for its themeing should take note of the fact that Disney's two newest theme parks built with Disney money (California Adventure and Disney Studios Paris) pale in comparison to Universal in all regards including themeing and attraction offerings. Disney can do amazing things but that doesn't mean they always do.

DigitalDisney

Wow. Someone's a little bitter.

I hate to tell you this, but even though they haven't added much new since it opened, IOA is still one of my favorite parks of all time. It's thrilling, it's extremely well themed, and it's just fun.

Oh yeah, I like USF too. It has better rides and shows, but the park lacks the theming and detail that IOA has.

Do I like all of the WDW parks too? You bet.

A couple responses:
1. No culture. - How is WDW not about making money any more or less than Universal? All Orlando parks raise their prices at the same time, and they all charge a lot for average food (for the most part). You're acting like Walt's original concept for Epcot is actually in place and people live and work there in perfect harmony.

Also, how can you openly (and harshly) criticise Universal but not Disney for DCA or HKDL? Those are obviously cheap attempts to make money and build stuff "on the cheap." Don't forget about the failure known as Rocket Rods, which was unsuccessful because they didn't spend money to re-engineer portions of the track.

2. Finance and Liscencing - WDI (their version of UCreative) creates some amazing rides and concepts but finance balks at the price too. WDW also decides to promote non-Disney movies such as Indiana Jones and Star Wars? How do you create a brand.

3. Wasting Money - I have no idea what you just said.

4. No synergy - Pirates of the Caribbean is being completely refurbished with new effects, props, and characters from the movie and the sequel. No doubt the movie will be extremely popular, and these changes will bring in a lot more people. Any mention of a grand opening day celebration or event. NO. Why not? It's WDW, who the he!l knows?

5. Bad Theming - You kinda sorta have a point here, but I've still gotta take a shot.

Tower of Terror is a great ride but it isn't a story that people will know about or connect with for years to come like most good Universal movies. Why is the Tomorrowland Indy Speedway in "Tomorrowland" when it has nothing to do with the future? I was standing next to the Enchanted Tiki Room and I heard some crazy arabic music.

6. -Branding+Merchandise - That's a great reason not to go to a great theme park with awesome rides.

7. Marketing - That's another great reason not to go to a great theme park with awesome rides! Seriously though, Universal doesn't have much that's cute or toned down for kids. Instead of flying slowly over moonlit London, you can stop an Alien Invasion of New York. I see nothing wrong with that. Should they have commercials that only promote crap like the Barney show and the Curious George zone?

8. Stupid executives - Funny, you didn't mention people like Cynthia Harris and Paul Pressler who turned Disneyland (Walt's original vision...ahem) into a shopping mall, and wouldn't spend money on a cool concept like the Rocket Rods and do it right.

That is all

jaredliu

kcnole said:
Disneyland Paris maybe, but do you realize that TDL is considered by many to be the finest Disney park in the entire world?
I mean while lots of people comparing wdw to UO but they never dare to compare Magic Kingdom to TDL.

SallyShine

The best thing about Universal is staying on property. There's nothing better than going to the front of the line for all of the rides! I know alot of people on this board don't agree with the concept, but don't knock it until you've tried it!

will_rogers

Original Poster
Digital Disney, you make great points. Thanks for the rebuddle (spelling??)My argument isn't perfect and there were some things I missed or chose not to see. I appreciate the friendly debate. I'm assuming that you are a little dissapointed with the new DL cookie cutter parks, much like myself. I do enjoy UO to a degree but enjoy WDW a lot more. I do not think Disney is perfect and in some areas there is a lot to be desired for but despite their wrongs, there are a lot of "rights". I hope that Iger and Lassetter can do great things in their respective roles. The biggest problem with WDW is that there aren't enough Entertainment people and too many bean counters. I think that the reason why everything worked in the beginning was b/c you had the creative guy and the money guy on top. Now you have dozens of money guys. Unfortunately, that's corporate America.

I was gearing most of my post from a company perspective and corporate culture. I'm curious to see what other people say but I do have a couple questions (that I hope don't steer this discussion way off topic):

What are the Rocket Rods?
I've never been to DL, and most of my Disney Knowledge is WDW so what exactly has been done to DL to Commercialize it like a mall? I honestly don't know and I'm curious.

Peace.

jozzmenia

SallyShine said:
The best thing about Universal is staying on property. There's nothing better than going to the front of the line for all of the rides! I know alot of people on this board don't agree with the concept, but don't knock it until you've tried it!

hey i LOVE express pass, except i just bought it...cheaper 2 buy for 2 people than 2 pay to stay onsite :D

and they weren't signing our passes, so we got to use them all day!

it was pretty cool!

tirian

kcnole said:
Disneyland Paris maybe, but do you realize that TDL is considered by many to be the finest Disney park in the entire world?

Not TDL, Tokyo Disney Sea. Tokyo Disneyland is much cleaner than the American parks, but that's mostly due to the Japanese culture, which is much more respectful. Americans have had a bad international reputation for well over a century (read Mark Twain's Innocents Abroad, in which he satirizes this).

TDS is an amazing park; the theming is perhaps the most immersive anywhere. But there aren't very many attractions.

Personally, I'd compare USF to DCA, since that was basically Disney's underfunded answer to Six Flags and Universal. Look! We've got one rollercoaster that actually turns you upside down in mickey ears! Yawn.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom