Universal playing on the "Anti magic & fairytales" for employment

Chape19714

I just retured from a field trip to IoA, and i must say, that we are all spoiled ROTTEN by Disney! Besides the Roller Coasters, there is no thrill. Let's compare two rides: Splash Mountain and Dudley Do-Rights Ripsaw falls. Splash Mountain: Wonderfully Theamed with Friendly and Polite CM's. Dudley Do-Right: COMPLETELY the opposite. Once you move away from the main path and really look at the mountain, you can clearly see the metal and fiberglass holding the structure. Not to mention, our bus entered the property, and we drove right behind this ride WHAT A SPOILER the real world is the theme, becasue as soon as you leave the main path, you can see into all of the metal bars etc. The employees were ok, but CM's are much friendlier. Ok, enough with the ride comparing. The food does not hold a candle to Disney. AND the food is more expensive. The park was small, and the rides we had watched and looked at pictures of were really hyped up and were not as good as they looked from the pictures and videos. This is not suppossed to offend anyone, but i am tying to prove the point that Disney goes the extra step with EVERYTHING, not leaving any details untouched. Just to show that Disney goes the Extra Mile and always comes out with LOTS of REALLY DEVOTED FANS (such as myself and many others who visit the boards.

I did have fun hanging out with my friends, but other than that, Disney would have been much more fun.

Bill

Account Suspended
Prices are higher at Universal but Annual Passholders get the discounts...

Food is different depending on where you go in the park.

NemoRocks78

Seized
Premium Member
Not another Disney vs. Universal thread.....:rolleyes:

I'm sorry, but I think Universal employees are much more friendlier than cast members at WDW. Just last Sunday during my visit to both UO parks, every employee I encountered took the time to say hi and asked me how I was and if I was enjoying my day. A few of them even struck up a small conversation with me. At WDW, I rarely get any of that.

I think the problem with everyone bashing Universal is that the people who do it only have made one or two visits, while making a lot more to WDW. I think anyone who hates Universal Studios or Islands of Adventure should just take some time to enjoy it and not try to see where Disney is better. I find Universal better in some places, though I also find Disney better in other places. But I still like them both the same and continue to enjoy both resorts every time I visit them. :D

HennieBogan1966

Account Suspended
Let's be honest here on a couple of issues:

(1) There is no comparison to WDW. The atmosphere, all the amenities, the feeling one gets being there. Not to say that it all started with a mouse, but rather a vision of one man, who saw the potential for something special.

(2) These are entirely different values here. One is a thrill ride park. The other is a vacation desitination for children of all ages, families, newlyweds, and on, and on, and on.

(3) CM's notwithstanding, this is a subject on which we all could complain. We could all talk about times we've been dissatisfied with service somewhere sometime in our lives. As has been said about another very controversial subject the last couple of weeks, don't judge and entire group of people by the actions of a few.

Overall, I would tell you that noone offers all that Disney does. You can say it's because of money, property, people, etc.etc. But the bottom line is, Disney gets it done. Maybe not as quickly as we all would like, or exactly how we would like, but they get it done. I say Well Done Disney!!!

The Undisputed Heavyweight Champ!!

ArsonWinter

Originally posted by RnRCJohn
Your kidding right, all the people who diss universal need to stop being prejudice or had a blindfold on when they went. Jurassic park's entryway and the ride building are both spectacular sights. The entry to the Studios is also very cool, the globe, The Mummy's Entryway..The entry to the Dueling Dragons (Especially if the coasters go through the loops as there entering..that is very very cool. Universal AND Disney are both great PERIOD.

I'm not saying that Universal is bad. It's actually a very good park, but it's a park that mostly thrives off movie- and tv-based attractions.

Take Jurassic Park, your example. JP was a huge movie before the theme park attractions... unless you're a Universal AP, I think more people would identify JP's entryway with the movie. While I agree that Dueling Dragons is a nice entry and queue, that seems to be the exception, not the rule.

Actually, Universal is really good about taking movies and turing them into great rides and attractions. But Disney... they've built so many great attractions that weren't. Space Mountian, Pirates, Hanunted Mansion, Everest, Mission: Space, Soarin', etc.

TURKEY

Originally posted by ArsonWinter
I'm not saying that Universal is bad. It's actually a very good park, but it's a park that mostly thrives off movie- and tv-based attractions.

What's Disney based on?

RnRCJohn

Disney goes the extra step with EVERYTHING, not leaving any details untouched.

Maybe because they purchased a whole lot of land
cheaply when it was available...what..30 years ago? I'm not saying I'm not a huge disney fan..and yes i'd probably rather be at disney. But I do have to say I've found Universal employee's just as nicw and kind as any disney empoyee.
Infact I have a small little story of just how nice they can be.

Ok...A friend and mine had gone on the hulk and later decided we would like to get a photo and it was right before we left. So we walk out to the exit and talked to an employee and told him the situation...the line was 75+ minutes, fast passes were gone and the singles line was closed down. He walked us up the back way and put us on the ride so we could get the photo...no wait at all...how nice is that?

And as far as universal only having three "immersive" rides compared to disney's "many" I'd say thats wrong...unless you consider Space mountain (oh yeah...look mom...I'm flying in the galaxys weeeeeee!) Lets see here....Jurassic Park...Spiderman...Dr. Dooms (Don't say its just a launcher...the thing has a theme and its very immersive) The Mummy, Men In Black, Back To
The Future, Jaws, E.T., Posiedens Fury and I could go on..but I won't. People need to stop comparing each other..Universal never came out and sayed...hey we're the next disney! Just enjoy both...they both contribute to help Orlando be one of the best vacation destinations and I love living here:D

The_CEO

But Disney... they've built so many great attractions that weren't. Space Mountian, Pirates, Hanunted Mansion, Everest, Mission: Space, Soarin', etc.
I could name some that were...

Dumbo, Tower of Terror, Muppets, Dinosaur, Its Tought To Be A Bug, Honey I Shrunk The Audience. Anyone have others?

RnRCJohn

I think more people would identify JP's entryway with the movie

And why can't it still be a stunning peice at universal?

And how do you know how good everest is going to be? Did you ride it? When the track ended in its unfinished state did you get injured?:rolleyes:

ArsonWinter

Originally posted by The_CEO
Dumbo, Tower of Terror, Muppets, Dinosaur, Its Tought To Be A Bug, Honey I Shrunk The Audience. Anyone have others?

Yes, Disney does work some synergy occasionally, but look at Epcot: Nary an attraction based off a movie for years since it opened. Of course, Honey I Shrunk the Kids changed all that. Disney's Animal Kingdom has that Safari ride (arguably the most popular ride in the park) with no connection to a movie. And MK's individual lands have no true connection with any movie like IOA's islands do.

ArsonWinter

Originally posted by RnRCJohn
And how do you know how good everest is going to be? Did you ride it? When the track ended in its unfinished state did you get injured?:rolleyes:

I didn't say it was going to be. What I said is, Disney made a huge e-Ticket (the third in that park NOT to be based off a movie).

The_CEO

Yes, Disney does work some synergy occasionally, but look at Epcot: Nary an attraction based off a movie for years since it opened. Of course, Honey I Shrunk the Kids changed all that. Disney's Animal Kingdom has that Safari ride (arguably the most popular ride in the park) with no connection to a movie. And MK's individual lands have no true connection with any movie like IOA's islands do.

I don't know what you have against movies being an attraction's topic but maybe your forgetting its the talent of the company. If Universal or WDW can transform that topic into an overwhelming convincing attraction.. What the heck is the problem then dude?:fork: I don't see anything wrong with using an already popular movie or book to make their attraction come to life. If anything it makes them SMARTER than the other....

ArsonWinter

I don't know what you have against movies being an attraction's topic but maybe your forgetting its the talent of the company. If Universal or WDW can transform that topic into an overwhelming convincing attraction.. What the heck is the problem then dude?:fork: I don't see anything wrong with using an already popular movie or book to make their attraction come to life. If anything it makes them SMARTER than the other....

Okay, okay. Listen: I have NO PROBLEM with using a book, movie, or TV show as source material for a ride. No problem. I do, however, admire when designers can pull together an attraction that actually is unique and original, like Pirates or Mission: Space. It's a great credit to these people, because they've taken themeing and storyline to a new level. So while I like "riding the movies," I also like original attractions.

Anyone can make a ride based off a movie (which is why you always see people say "Hey, what about a Monsters, Inc. ride" or "Fire Mountian! Yes!"). The truth is, to pull off a sucessful movie-to-ride conversion, is amazing. BUT there should be new and diffrent experiences as well.

the-reason14

IMO I hate Universal, and Disney is the better of the two companies. I have been to Universal the park and the IOA mess. Both were very unenjoyable experiences. But, summing it up Disney is the best place to go in Florida and Universal just wishes they could take that title. Well at least in my book.:wave:

This post was not made to offend anyone, just stating my opinion.:wave:

The_CEO

But when it comes to converting action and thrillers to attractions. Universal does it best. Thats all people are trying to say. I swear this forum has this discussion every 4 - 5 months. Its so annoying. Anyone who has been here for more than a year or so can tell you that. So on that note. Adios

ArsonWinter

But when it comes to converting action and thrillers to attractions. Universal does it best. Thats all people are trying to say. I swear this forum has this discussion every 4 - 5 months. Its so annoying. Anyone who has been here for more than a year or so can tell you that. So on that note. Adios

Well, yes. Disney is going to stick to it's Pixar and animated features... after all, Disney is more of a family company than Universal, which is geared more toward teens and adults.

tigger248

I for one, don't see a problem with Universal making rides based on movies that already exist. That's what works for them, they're a movie park. Don't get me wrong, I love Disney but in all fairness the Disney-MGM Studios has several rides and attractions that were movies before rides. Star Tours, Indiana Jones, Muppets 3D, Great Movie Ride, the list can go on. Also the backlot tour has sets and props and they do tell how movies our made, with volunteers and everything, like Universal does.

Also I think that wherever you go you will occasionally meet a bad employee/cast member. While I did have a bad experience with a universal employee when I got my annual pass made, I have also had a bad experience with a disney cast member. I met the rudest cast member I've ever seen last november in the canada pavillion in epcot. She was very unpleasant to me but I try to focus on the good people not the bad which is why I still keep going back even after the occasional bad egg.

Pirate665

Okay, so lets just agree to disagree. Disney has some strong points and so does Universal. Disney has weak point, and so does Universal. The 2 can be compared and yet not. So, while some of us perfer to stick with Disney and keep Universal as a back up or not go at all, others in the World will continue to go to Universal over Disney cause they probley think these same things. I bet, some Universal fan on a fan site like this one is saying "Look at Disney, they have crapy kids rides and there is nothing iconic about there parks." And so, it just goes to show you, we'll have to agree to disagree.

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
I've worked for both parks, and I can honestly say that Universal is a MUCH better employer than Disney.

Something about making
  • more money
  • being treated better
and
  • not having a union breathe down your neck

made for a much better work experience

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom