Universal is dropping indoor mask mandate for vaccinated individuals

HouCuseChickie

I see Disney taking a wait and see approach with this...kind of like it felt with WDW reopening. They got to watch Universal for about a month and a half before they reopened the Disney parks last year, so my guess is that they're going to watch how things go with Universal lifting mask mandates.

Upvote 0

ilovelabs2021

Original Poster
I see Disney taking a wait and see approach with this...kind of like it felt with WDW reopening. They got to watch Universal for about a month and a half before they reopened the Disney parks last year, so my guess is that they're going to watch how things go with Universal lifting mask mandates.
If Disney adopts this, I wonder how hard it is going to be for families to get their young children to realize they need to wear a mask indoors while others don't b/c they aren't eligible yet for the vaccine.

Upvote 0

ilovelabs2021

Original Poster
Disney parks have tons of small kids visiting, and obviously, they aren't vaccinated, so does Disney want to tick off already frazzled parents when their 3 year old pitches a fit about wearing a mask inside when a bunch of people don't have to? Probably not. I think they will have to wait and see.

Upvote 0

Chi84

Premium Member
Maybe. They did wait several hours before following Universal’s decision to drop masks outdoors.

Upvote 0

ElvisMickey

Respectfully disagree. They dropped the outdoor mask mandate like a hot potato right after Universal 2 weeks ago. Not saying they‘re going to drop it tonight, but it’s certainly not dragging on either. They’re the lone hold out at this point.

Upvote 0

donsullivan

Premium Member
Respectfully disagree. They dropped the outdoor mask mandate like a hot potato right after Universal 2 weeks ago. Not saying they‘re going to drop it tonight, but it’s certainly not dragging on either. They’re the lone hold out at this point.
Disney dropped their outdoor mask mandate after Orange County moved to the next phase of re-opening which changed those guidelines. It had absolutely nothing to do with following Universal.

If Disney makes a move it‘s not likely before the next Orange County COVID briefing scheduled for Tuesday. There was no normal Friday briefing scheduled today because the mayor is away on vacation.

Upvote 0

ElvisMickey

Disney dropped their outdoor mask mandate after Orange County moved to the next phase of re-opening which changed those guidelines. It had absolutely nothing to do with following Universal.

If Disney makes a move it‘s not likely before the next Orange County COVID briefing scheduled for Tuesday. There was no normal Friday briefing scheduled today because the mayor is away on vacation.
Technically, that’s correct. But everyone here knows that they did it AFTER Universal announced it first. It’s kind of like when Target stated that they weren’t going to drop the mask mandate after the new CDC guidance 2 weeks ago. Then when pretty much every other store decided to drop it, Target had a change of heart come Monday morning, 3 days later. Disney doesn’t want to be the first one to eat a pile of you know what with negative publicity.

Upvote 0

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
If Disney makes a move

State of Florida has already made a move. Not Disney's move to make anymore. If I don't want to wear a mask when I walk in - I won't. If I don't want to wear a mask on a ride - I won't. Just came back from 4 days there. Not one mask I wore - anywhere. When I was questioned (which was a few times) - the conversation ended very quickly.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

donsullivan

Premium Member
State of Florida has already made a move. Not Disney's move to make anymore. If I don't want to wear a mask when I walk in - I won't. If I don't want to wear a mask on a ride - I won't. Just came back from 4 days there. Not one mask I wore - anywhere. When I was questioned (which was a few times) - the conversation ended very quickly.
Walt Disney World is private property and allowed to make and apply rules it sees fit. The state only stated that governments cannot impose mask requirements but does not bar any other entity from employing them.

Upvote 0

ilovelabs2021

Original Poster
Entitled much? Disney can make its own mask rules, regardless of what the state of Florida has enacted. Massachusetts dropped its mask mandate this weekend but stated privately owned businesses can do what they want. Disney is a private business that can make up its own rules in general, whether we like them or not. If one doesn't like them, one shouldn't go.

Upvote 0

drizgirl

Entitled much? Disney can make its own mask rules, regardless of what the state of Florida has enacted. Massachusetts dropped its mask mandate this weekend but stated privately owned businesses can do what they want. Disney is a private business that can make up its own rules in general, whether we like them or not. If one doesn't like them, one shouldn't go.
I assume everyone will feel the same when the rest of their mandate is dropped. I saw an awful lot of complaints when the outdoor requirement dropped.

Upvote 0

Tony the Tigger

Ah, the dream customer.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom