Universal/ IOA changes in the past 4 years

BiffyClyro

Original Poster
It's been 4 years since i've been to universal/ IOA and since the Universal sites are kind messy to see updates/ whats gone I wondered if someone can fill me in on whats new and whats gone.

Like Twister? Apparently that's gone or going? Last time I was there Jaws was going (RIP :() to make way for the new harry potter diagon alley stuff.

If omeone wouldn't mind giving me a bit of an update as to what is new/ going or gone that would be amazing.

JCAEdge21

IOA
- Possibly new 4k projection on Spider-man (Not entirely sure when that was added so it may have been there during your last visit.)
- Hulk is closed, opening later this summer.
- Dragon's Challenge no longer duels, unfortunately.
- Hogwarts Express to Studios

Universal Studios
- DIAGON %&*$#%^ ALLEY!!! And everything that's included (Escape from Gringotts, Ollivander's, Hogwarts Express, Knockturn Alley...) The list goes on and you MUST take the time to explore this area, including the waterfront area outside the walls. You will NOT regret it!
- Transformers, which in my opinion is awesome. If you like Spider-man, you'll love this! Similar ride, some differences.
- Springfield area built up, which includes a small ride (haven't ridden it myself yet), and A LOT of new atmosphere experiences including Moe's Tavern and Duff Gardens (great place to grab a beer!)
- Despicable Me: Minion Mayhem.. Again may or may not have been open during your last trip. Fun simulator ride but be prepared to wait unless you have Uni Express.
- Disaster, Twister, and Beetlejuice are in fact closed.

Hope this helps!

And fellow readers, did I leave anything out?!?

dm11

Depending on when you will be going, you might be able to catch new “Skull Island: Reign of Kong” at IoA. It is opening later this summer but no date has been announced yet. It does sound like it is nearing softs though.

The small ride at Springfield area mentioned in the previous post is “Kang & Kodos' Twirl 'n' Hurl”. Basically a spinner.

trr1

Volcano Bay water park is coming in 2017 also Sapphire Falls Resort is opening this year and Cabana Bay Beach Resort is adding more rooms

raven

Volcano Bay water park is coming in 2017 also Sapphire Falls Resort is opening this year and Cabana Bay Beach Resort is adding more rooms

Love your avitar by the way!

I think with more rooms available they should think about adding more family-type attractions. I know, they aren't Disney, but Universal's target audience is becoming more and more for thrill seekers lately and there is becoming less and less areas for little ones to enjoy (besides the new water park). Not complaining by any means, just an idea.

JCAEdge21

I think with more rooms available they should think about adding more family-type attractions. I know, they aren't Disney, but Universal's target audience is becoming more and more for thrill seekers lately and there is becoming less and less areas for little ones to enjoy (besides the new water park). Not complaining by any means, just an idea.

If any of the rumors floating around are true, they will be doing just that. "The Secret Life of Pets" is hitting theaters next month and barring a complete disaster at the box office, UO is rumored to be getting a family-friendly attraction within the next couple of years.

That and you know... Nintendo Land/World...

trr1

thank you and
they may when they build the next park. Wet and Wild closes at the end of December so there is 50 acres
also the 450 odd other acres that was bought at the beginning of the year

Last edited:

ryguy

I would like to see them scrap Men in Black and create a new family attraction. Its quite a big building, so they have the space to create something pretty neat.

andysol

thank you and
they may when they build the next park. Wet and Wild closes at the end of December so there is 50 acres
also the 450 odd other acres that was bought at the beginning of the year
Keep in mind- only ~350 of it or so is attached. The other parcels are all spaced out and not conjoined.

I would like to see them scrap Men in Black and create a new family attraction. Its quite a big building, so they have the space to create something pretty neat.
No way- MIB is a great attraction still. There are at least a half dozen other attractions to redo prior to getting to that- like Fear Factor right next to it.

Note: How did this become the "imagineering" post? :D

PinnySmart

I agree. I am a thrill seeker myself but a lot of my family and friends are not. It would be nice if there were more things that the whole family could enjoy together besides just a spinner or 3D movie.

BiffyClyro

Original Poster
Thanks guys. I love MIB too, hope that doesn't go.

Last time I was at universal, not exaggerating... Half the park was shut. I would have been annoyed if is just paid for entry to that one park. The big Harry Potter refurb was happening, that live show near jaws was closed (crap anyway but still) and there was a load of construction going on updating no soringfield. Hope it's improved!

Jwhee

Complete (complete based off my memory haha) list of new things since 2012-

Universal Studios Fl:

2012-
-Minion Mayhem
-Cinematic Spectacular night show
-Superstar Parade (daytime parade)

2013-
-Transformers: The Ride 3D
-Springfield
--Kang & Kudos Twirl n' Hurl

2014-
-Diagon Alley
--Gringotts
--Hogwarts Express

2015-
-Street Shows
--Beat Builders
--Straight Outta Food Truck
--Flying Fish Market
--Sing it!

2016-
-Hello Kitty
-Terminator 2 upgrades
-Marilyn Monroe street show

Islands Of Adventure:

2012-
-Spiderman 4k

2013-
?

2014-
-Hogwarts Express

2015-
-Raptor Encounter

2016-
-Kong
-Incredible Hulk 2.0

jensenrick

While I understand your point, just because they are building new things that are thrilling, that does not mean there is "less" for the little ones, unless something for the little ones is being torn down, which I don't believe is the case.
It's not a zero sum game, is all I'm saying.

odmichael

I was in universal yesterday and took this panoramic from the top deck of Lombard's.
image.jpeg

Jon81uk

No way- MIB is a great attraction still. There are at least a half dozen other attractions to redo prior to getting to that- like Fear Factor right next to it.

and the rumour is the Fear Factor space and some land around it is earmarked for a Ministry of Magic attraction or something based on the US Witches and Wizards as featured in Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them, depending how well that is received at the cinema later this year.

I also agree that MIB needs to be kept up to date, but doesn't yet need to be scrapped.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom