Universal Epic Universe (South Expansion Complex) - Opens 2025

Idina would have been 31 and Kristen 34 when it premiered. Ariana is currently 30 and Cynthia 37. I don't know if it's that out of whack. I realize it's a movie and not to take away from any of your other points though.
The issue is that in a movie, you’re staring up close at the actors the entire time and it all seems more grounded in reality. On stage you can just cast for voice and general appearance because it seems less literal, it’s farther away and you don’t get a great up close look at characters for very long. Movies generally just seem more “real” than musicals, even when it’s the same plot. It’s the reason the cannibalism in Sweeney Todd was a funny punchline in the show, but seemed gory and disturbing in the movie. Or why when the plant eats everyone in Little Shop of Horrors it seems hilarious and fun on stage, but was kind of depressing in the original cut of the movie

I think what Universal really should’ve done was an animated adaptation right after Frozen, with the full original cast. Musical fans get an awesome animated faithful adaptation, little girls get Let It Go 2 with Idinas big songs, and Universal gets their first smash hit Disney style musical avoiding all the issues with live action. What a timeline that would have been

Animaniac93-98

Does Universal have the worst back catalogue of all the majors now?

They've already used up most the kinds of properties that lend themselves to the parks (Monsters, ET, Jaws, Earthquake, Hitchcock, Minions, Jurassic Park/World, Dreamworks).

It's not so much is it the worst, as what else is there left without getting the rights to something else?

BrianLo

They've already used up most the kinds of properties that lend themselves to the parks (Monsters, ET, Jaws, Earthquake, Hitchcock, Minions, Jurassic Park/World, Dreamworks).

It's not so much is it the worst, as what else is there left without getting the rights to something else?

Totally, but some of those are very, very meagre IP by current day standards. They really have Jurassic Park and Minions with a smattering of Dreamworks/Illuminations. I'm quite thrilled on Monsters for what its worth, but more because it's a borderline original land than an IP showcase.

They are really quite lucky they are in *mostly* a two-way race in the movie-theme park business. I can't imagine how much licensing would cost if they actually were generally fighting a competitor over it. WB is quite unlucky that they are not and their recent earnings reflect that.

wdwfan4ver

Assuming that is their plan, I just don't see it actually working out that way. The logic is solid; provide a completely different product so you're not cannibalizing Orlando's business from its UK vacationers so much (although this would still happen to a degree.) However, Universal is already using so much of their IP in Orlando (and elsewhere) that I just don't see it being feasible to suddenly create an entirely new lineup for the British audience. Not unless they want to go questionably niche (Doctor Who?) But LOTR certainly isn't niche anymore. They add that to one of their parks and there will be demand to add it everywhere else ASAP. We're talking hate mail kind of demand. Epic's expansion plot could certainly still be there decades from now, but people's patience wouldn't be.
I do know that there are rumors about Universal wanting to acquire theme park rights to James Bond and Paddington Bear for UK.

Orlando will not use up all the IPS Nintendo has. That could free up Nintendo IPS for UK if Universal does a UK theme park.

Last edited:

Rich Brownn

Diehard Wicked fan here. Seen it 9 times on Broadway, sometimes cite it as my favorite work of art in any medium ever (sometimes). This movie will be a disaster, Ariana and Cynthia are both way WAY too old to play the characters and just don’t have the right personalities at all. Elphaba and Glinda are supposed to be like, 19, and with consistent close up shots on the actors throughout the movie the casting just is not going to work at all. Ariana doesn’t have Glindas face or personality at all, they literally only cast her because she made that “Popular” cover. The CGI also looks gross, it doesn’t have the handmade feel and glam-steampunk aesthetic the show needs. Cynthia also butchered the iconic Defying Gravity riff at the end of the trailer. From the first moment set images and casting came out, it’s been clear that the people making this don’t understand Wicked.

Notably, the trailer made a huge point to show the events of the original Wizard of Oz. Which anyone who’s seen Wicked will know, they intentionally never show Wizard characters on stage, only in shadows and alluded to once they reach the part of the show that takes places at the same time as Wizard.

That’s not even getting into the beyond baffling choice to split this into two movies. The absolute confidence they had to make a 3 hour musical into two movies with ridiculous budgets is scary. I’m really really concerned they’re going to stretch out the runtime with original characters and weird additional scenes, I don’t trust the team making this to write new scenes. And we already know they’re adding original characters.

I don’t think this is going to be more popular with general audiences either. All of this is just going to come off as cringe and weird to someone unfamiliar with the source material.
The producers said the split it because nothing could follow "Defying Gravity" but an intermission. Having seen what happened with "Dreamgirls" (The jump after "And I Tell You" which is obviously the point for a break) I agree - it was too big a tone shift so suddenly. (Plus it gives them a chance to expand on what is considered to be a weak book, and -- of course --add all those Academy Award eligible songs for two years in a row)

some other guy

I think Narnia fails on the setting aspect of IP. Beyond going through the wardrobe and the lamp post in the snow, there's not really anything else that would jump out as Narnia for a land. Lord of the Rings has so many that I'm not sure what you even choose for a land (the Shire, Rivendell, Minas Tirith, Helm's Deep, Moria, Mordor, etc.)

I'm also not sure it has the reach/popularity at this point in its life. Netflix was supposed to be creating a TV series or movies, but that was years ago so it may have fallen through at this point -- much like Disney's plans to create a new series based on the Prydain Chronicles.
maybe if Holy Land Experience was still a thing there could be a place for it, but yeah, Narnia's always kinda been the ghetto "fundie parents are too dim to pick up on the biblical aspects of LotR and freaked at wizard" backup fantasy franchise

Rich Brownn

maybe if Holy Land Experience was still a thing there could be a place for it, but yeah, Narnia's always kinda been the ghetto "fundie parents are too dim to pick up on the biblical aspects of LotR and freaked at wizard" backup fantasy franchise
Actually Tolkien himself said there's no religion in LoTR. Narnia was written because Lewis felt Tolkien dropped the ball on that.

some other guy

Actually Tolkien himself said there's no religion in LoTR. Narnia was written because Lewis felt Tolkien dropped the ball on that.
I've seen some good cases made for allusion and references to general concepts like the shadow only corrupting, not creating, and even more when you get into deeper lore, but it's not worth arguing for this point.
Middle Earth was def never as OH HEY THIS GUY WHO'S KIND OF A BIG DEAL DIED! AND ROSE! AND LION! GET IT! HUH? HUH? overt as Narnia and Narnia has always been the third-stringer who deserves BBC miniseries that show off its charming humble British-ness while LotR gets infinite budget to slaughter computer orcs by the jillions.
you can take whatever spiritual lessons from that as you will 🤔🤣

Weather_Lady

Some lovely "flyover-style" concept art vignettes for Epic Universe are now posted on Universal's website. (Apologies if this is old news: either this was posted in the last few days, or I've just been missing it previously -- some of the video animations are identical to the recently-released promo video, but others are not.) Just scroll down until you reach the movie-style screen with right and left arrows to "fly through" different portions of Celestial Park and learn more about select parts of it.

The animation is just gorgeous. Feels and looks like a series of art deco/steampunk Benoit Sokal-designed video game cutscenes to me, in all the best ways!

Last edited:

trr1

https://twitter.com/bioreconstruct
bioreconstruct
@bioreconstruct

Aerial photo of part of How To Train Your Dragon land. At center is a structure being built over the land's roller coaster. At top is the separate Starfall Racers dual-racing roller coaster in Epic Universe.
1709328928737.png

Arrow in this aerial photo where it seems like a tree root will be sculpted over the edge of the portal ring of Dark Universe. Possibly also a smaller root at the gap on the other side.Each of the Epic Universe portal rings so far has a open semicircle at top.
1709328950364.png

An aerial look back to Mar 23, 2019 when the Epic Universe site was being prepared.Arrow at a long time electrical distribution site.
1709328986060.png

Aerial look at the portal of Super Nintendo World.One of two portals in Epic Universe without a themed ring at the opening. The other portal is the park entrance.
1709329011733.png

An aerial photo where the strut shows how high the helicopter is above Epic Universe.
1709329035989.png

At center of this aerial photo is a structure being built over the How To Train Your Dragon roller coaster.In foreground the Celestial Spin and Top Hat elements of the Starfall Racers roller coaster in Epic Universe.
1709329070066.png

In this aerial photo of the Epic Universe area 1 Site prep for an electric bus depot 2 Long time electric distribution site 3 Ramp berm and supports for the elevated traffic circle to day guest parking 4 Day guest parking 5 Donkey Kong roller coaster in Super Nintendo World
1709329094050.png

Aerial overview of How To Train Your Dragon land. Also Starfall Racers roller coaster in Epic Universe.
1709329139649.png

Aerial view of the site of an electric bus depot near Epic Universe.
1709329168221.png

trr1

bioreconstruct
@bioreconstruct
A very wide aerial photo with Dark Universe in foreground. Show building and features of the land. Rising at left is Helios Grand Hotel, inside Epic Universe. Near center is Starfall Racers, and to the right are the spinning dragon rides.
1709329280576.png

Aerial look across Epic Universe. Dark Universe in foreground. Helios Grand Hotel near center of this photo. Across from the large turquoise circular show fountain.
1709329304078.png

Aerial overview of Dark Universe in Epic Universe. The large show building contains the featured attraction.
1709329335641.png

At top left of this aerial photo are poles for the construction of the Celes. Tiki bar in Epic Universe. At bottom right is the portal of Dark Universe.
1709329373333.png

Aerial overview of the Donkey Kong roller coaster in Super Nintendo World.
1709329484019.png

Aerial photos with details of recent work for the top of the waterfall at the Donkey Kong roller coaster.
1709329511635.png
1709329523682.png
1709329535382.png

Aerial photo with the current state of waterfall construction at the Donkey Kong roller coaster.
1709329564518.png

trr1

bioreconstruct
@bioreconstruct

Aerial photo of lift hill theming at the Donkey Kong roller coaster.
1709329626718.png

Aerial look at theming in progress at the Donkey Kong roller coaster in Super Nintendo World.
1709329649907.png

Aerial look at theming in progress at the Donkey Kong roller coaster in Super Nintendo World.
1709329674668.png

Aerial photo of a section of the Donkey Kong roller coaster in Super Nintendo World.At bottom left is a stack of "boards" staged for more trestle theming of the track supports.Nearby is half of a flower element. Likely to be placed on the stem at center of the photo.
1709329701530.png

Aerial photo of Mount Beanpole type of theming next to Peach's Castle.
1709329729824.png

Aerial photo of the Peach's Castle area of Super Nintendo World.
1709329757505.png

Aerial look at preparation for a concrete floor pour in Super Nintendo World.This area seen previously with a large amount of electrical conduit being routed across the structural floor.A layer of dense foam separates the new floor from the structural floor.
1709329790567.png

Aerial photo of Yoshi cars being uncovered in Super Nintendo World.
1709329857610.png

Aerial overview of How To Train Your Dragon land. Also Starfall Racers roller coaster in Epic Universe.
1709329889260.png

trr1

bioreconstruct
@bioreconstruct

Aerial photo of the entrance of How To Train Your Dragon land.
1709329949273.png

Aerial photo of the entrance of How To Train Your Dragon land.
1709329980611.png

Aerial photo of a berm of trees in How To Train Your Dragon land that will block view of a Celestial Park building starting construction at right.
1709330010853.png

At center of this aerial photo is a berm of trees in How To Train Your Dragon land that will block view of a Celestial Park building starting construction at left.
1709330047939.png

Aerial photo of where the How To Train Your Dragon roller coaster will zig-zag over water, then dive under a bridge.
1709330091943.png

Aerial photo of where the How To Train Your Dragon roller coaster dives under a bridge.
1709330139545.png

Aerial photos of both sides of a shop in How To Train Your Dragon land. Much of the structure covered in scaffolding for sculpting and painting rock work.
1709330173161.png
1709330183496.png

Aerial photo of construction near Meade Hall in How To Train Your Dragon land.
1709330216299.png

trr1

bioreconstruct
@bioreconstruct

At center of this aerial photo is scaffolding covering the sculpting of rock work at Meade Hall. Will be a featured dining location in How To Train Your Dragon land.
1709330262405.png

Aerial look at part of How To Train You Dragon land. Arrow at a recently completed wall.The front bay has a light coating now. The back bay (boat ride) had a light coating and then the dark coating now seen.
1709330310243.png

Aerial photo of the How To Train Your Dragon boat ride. Zoom in to see the belt has been installed on the station ramp. There's also pumps in the channel to move the boats.A slow moving water shooter ride. Note that the trees have flames. Believed to be called Fyre Drill.
1709330336888.png

Aerial look from the front of How To Train Your Dragon land to the theater
1709330378733.png

Aerial photo of structural frames being added in front of the theater in How To Train Your Dragon land. Theater is likely to have a show like in Universal Studios Beijing.
1709330418822.png

Aerial photo of the front of How To Train Your Dragon land. The bay's concrete floor has been coated with a bright surface. It is likely to get a second coating, a dark coating, like the back bay got recently.
1709330452934.png

At left in this aerial photo is the second launch of the How To Train Your Dragon roller coaster. Right next to it is rock work for a play area.Front of the building at center has 3 restrooms. Remainder of the building has electrical equipment to power the launch.
1709330547738.png

Aerial photo of the How To Train Your Dragon roller coaster at front of the land. Trains dive under a bridge, then circle 3 sheep, before heading into the second launch of the ride.
1709330582967.png

Aerial photo of the portal to How To Train Your Dragon land. At left is rock work at the second launch of the roller coaster, and an adjacent play area.
1709330615472.png

Aerial look at the portal of How to Train Your Dragon land.1 Sheep 2 A ladder in a service access 3 There are several of these octagons in Celestial Park. A few now with gazebo type structures. 4 There are multiple of these rectangular structures. Another near CelesTiki bar.
1709330652974.png

trr1

https://twitter.com/bioreconstruct
bioreconstruct
@bioreconstruct

Aerial overview of Dark Universe in Epic Universe. The large show building contains the featured attraction.
1709330788584.png

Aerial look across Epic Universe. Dark Universe in foreground. Helios Grand Hotel near center of this photo. Across from the large turquoise circular show fountain.
1709330862780.png

Aerial look at landscaping so far near The Burning Blade Tavern in Dark Universe.
1709330905180.png

Aerial overview of Dark Universe. Top left is recent construction of a service building.
1709330929797.png

Aerial overview of the Curse of the Werewolf roller coaster. A train with spinning cars is at right, on a service spur.At center of this photo is a barn over a shuttle launch. Sends trains backward and then forwards to return to the station.
1709330961163.png

Aerial overview of the forested Curse of the Werewolf roller coaster in Dark Universe. A spinning ride.
1709330987095.png

Aerial look at a partially covered train of the Curse of the Werewolf roller coaster. On a service spur. A pair of riders on each side of a car. The cars spin by momentum through the curves and hills of the track.
1709331037499.png

Aerial overview of the manor area of Dark Universe.
1709331073008.png

Aerial look at the current collection of trees at the extended queue of the featured attraction in Dark Universe.Berm and trees at left hide view of the park's perimeter service road and other back of house.
1709331119281.png

Aerial photo showing how dense the forest is becoming in Dark Universe
1709331148213.png

trr1

bioreconstruct
@bioreconstruct

Aerial look at the village in Dark Universe.
1709331203183.png

Aerial overview of the village in Dark Universe.1 Recently placed tree. Could be there will be more trees in this area, causing the manor to be seen more ominously over a tree line.2 Recently complete broken wall lurking in the shadows
1709331241033.png

An aerial look at work in progress in the village in Dark Universe.1 Gravestones seem to be as if stock from a quarry. Blank, and lined up as if for purchase2 Completed area of a broken wall3 Theming continues at this broken wall4 Seems to be a completed tower
1709331272399.png

Construction equipment in foreground of this aerial photo gives scale to how big the Dark Universe portal is.
1709331299780.png

Arrow in this aerial photo where it seems like a tree root will be sculpted over the edge of the portal ring of Dark Universe. Possibly also a smaller root at the gap on the other side.Each of the Epic Universe portal rings so far has a open semicircle at top.
1709331354262.png

RandySavage

Some lovely "flyover-style" concept art vignettes for Epic Universe are now posted on Universal's website. (Apologies if this is old news: either this was posted in the last few days, or I've just been missing it previously -- some of the video animations are identical to the recently-released promo video, but others are not.) Just scroll down until you reach the movie-style screen with right and left arrows to "fly through" different portions of Celestial Park and learn more about select parts of it.

The animation is just gorgeous. Feels and looks like a series of Benoit Sokal-designed video game cutscenes to me, in all the best ways!

As a fan of the Syberia style, I'd be interested in seeing this. When I went to the site, all I could see was an abridged version of the released flyover, then it goes to white. At the bottom there were the Portal concept art stills. Maybe my browser is incompatible or they took what your are describing down. Could you post screengrabs or confirm they're still there and what browser works with the animation. Appreciated.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom