Universal Epic Universe (South Expansion Complex) - Opens 2025

Andrew25

Right now it takes about ~10 minutes to get from Stella Nova to CityWalk... and the sand lake/Kirkman changes will improve travel as you don't have to go around the Lockheed site once Kirkman Extension is complete.

While you "escape" the bubble for about 2 miles... it's still relatively faster than traveling between MK and anywhere else on WDW property not connected by monorail lol

Rich Brownn

Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe in the old system, ticket classifications could also be changed and updated based on guest demand or lack thereof, no? The system did indeed seem somewhat arbitrary if the classification could change on something entirely separate from the merit of the attraction itself and its design, because at that point it became a tool for both operations and marketing. I know in the modern day the tickets are indeed used internally at both Disney and Universal for design classification purposes, but I would love to know if they have direct criteria for how to classify each attraction under the new system. And even if there is a rulebook, how does it differ between the companies?

I feel like the fans do not have a clear definition of the nomenclature for unofficial discussion, and it would be kind of nice to have some direct lines drawn. In my opinion, the modern version of the ticket system (or how I wish it was used) is less a denotation of quality and thrill, but more so of scope and scale.

Na'vi River Journey is a C-ticket and Flight of Passage is an E-ticket, but in no way does that mean NRJ is a lower quality ride than FoP. Both are great experiences with their own unique strengths and flaws. NRJ is a C-ticket because it is a small to medium scale ride with a simpler (compared to FoP) design goal; providing a relaxing pilgrimage through the bioluminescent forest. FoP is an E-ticket because it is a large scale attraction with a dramatic design goal; transporting guests on a dramatic adventure through an alien landscape using a unique ride vehicle with interwoven themes of conservation and natural wonder. The railroad is an A-ticket because its design goal is to transport guests from one point to another throughout MK. See what I mean?

I personally believe demand should be left out of the discussion entirely. Peter Pan's Flight is a ride which garners wait times longer than most of MK's E-tickets, but the actual infrastructure of the ride is built out with the scale and scope of a C-ticket. Obviously this is still somewhat arbitrary because scope and scale are hard to objectify for every attraction, but it would be nice to see some fans come to a consensus on how to define the ticket system going forward. Or, y'know, somebody could just leak WDI's.
A good example of demand driving ticket changes was when HoP and Country Bear swapped D and E classifications due to CBJ popularity

Weather_Lady

This is coming along so fast! Disney would never…
True. By the time EU debuts, it will have taken only twice as long to build as WDW took to retheme/build New Fantasyland at the Magic Kingdom -- for a whole new park with 5 lands and 3 hotels, from scratch, and all the associated infrastructure!

What I wish Disney would take inspiration from isn't just the timeline, though. When I look at the attractions Universal is putting into Epic Universe, one things jumps out at me. I feel as if the designers sat down, thoughtfully looked at each IP (or theme) individually, and asked themselves, "What adventure or journey or event from this movie (or theme) do I most wish I could experience for myself?" The answers then dictated the appealing attractions they designed: I want to fly on a dragon! I want to pound down some ale and then go for a sail in a Viking longboat! I want to explore a spooky castle! I want to feel what it's like to be inside my favorite Nintendo games! I want to experience the Battle at the Ministry of Magic! I want to ride a comet through space!

You'd think that this kind of planning discussion would be a no-brainer, but I feel like Disney World has stopped engaging in it when they plan attractions. That, or there are some unqualified weirdos in their board rooms, shouting out things like, "I want to find ingredients for the foods manufactured using sustainable methods by co-ops who engage in fair labor practices!," "I want to learn about the water cycle, by observing how it leaks from broken pipes and floods walkways!," or "I want to participate in an exciting race through space or a computer or the matrix or something, except that I won't actually be racing against anything, and the experience shouldn't last more than 60 seconds or be accessible to the majority of park guests in a given day!"

I'm sure Epic Universe won't be perfect, and will have its positives and negatives like anything else (e.g., I'm already worried that the "portals," while really cool-looking, will be huge choke points), but I can't help but feel like its planners are much more in touch with what guests might actually want to see than WDW is at present. Ideally, they'll also have designed these attractions with sufficient capacity to handle the number of guests who will want to experience them during times of typical attendance (meaning, after the initial surge the first year or so, when everyone wants to try the new things), but time will tell.

Last edited:

Andrew25

I'm sure Epic Universe won't be perfect, and will have its positives and negatives like anything else (e.g., I'm already worried that the "portals," while really cool-looking, will be huge choke points), but I can't help but feel like its planners are much more in touch with what guests might actually want to see than WDW is at present. Ideally, they'll also have designed these attractions with sufficient capacity to handle the number of guests who will want to experience them during times of typical attendance (meaning, after the initial surge the first year or so, when everyone wants to try the new things), but time will tell.
I was initially skeptical of the portal entrances, but they all seem large enough. Diagon Alley does fine with its rather small entry areas, so I don't think it'll be much of an issue.

I do hope eventually they can find a way to connect the portals to one another instead of having to go in and out of the hub.

Then again, Disneyland had the same setup, so I'm sure the park will grow together nicely over time.

Poseidon Quest

True. By the time EU debuts, it will have taken only twice as long to build as WDW took to retheme/build New Fantasyland at the Magic Kingdom -- for a whole new park with 5 lands and 3 hotels, from scratch, and all the associated infrastructure!

What I wish Disney would take inspiration from isn't just the timeline, though. When I look at the attractions Universal is putting into Epic Universe, one things jumps out at me. I feel as if the designers sat down, thoughtfully looked at each IP (or theme) individually, and asked themselves, "What adventure or journey or event from this movie (or theme) do I most wish I could experience for myself?" The answers then dictated the appealing attractions they designed: I want to fly on a dragon! I want to pound down some ale and then go for a sail in a Viking longboat! I want to explore a spooky castle! I want to feel what it's like to be inside my favorite Nintendo games! I want to experience the Battle at the Ministry of Magic! I want to ride a comet through space!

You'd think that this kind of planning discussion would be a no-brainer, but I feel like Disney World has stopped engaging in it when they plan attractions. That, or there are some unqualified weirdos in their board rooms, shouting out things like, "I want to find ingredients for the foods manufactured using sustainable methods by co-ops who engage in fair labor practices!," "I want to learn about the water cycle, by observing how it leaks from broken pipes and floods walkways!," or "I want to participate in an exciting race through space or a computer or the matrix or something, except that I won't actually be racing against anything, and the experience shouldn't last more than 60 seconds or be accessible to the majority of park guests in a given day!"

A difference I've noticed is that Universal's newer attractions don't rely on your knowledge of the IP to be appealing. I don't think you need to have seen a Jurassic World film to be thrilled by an assault by the Indominous Rex, or have seen a Secret Life of Pets movie to appreciate its complex and detailed scenes.

I don't think you need to have seen a Fantastic Beasts film or a monster movie to appreciate a well detailed Paris or haunted village. Good attraction design speaks on its own. I wonder how Galaxy's Edge appeals to people who aren't familiar with Star Wars? Even as a Star Wars fan, I don't find it particularly interesting land design because it only exists to fills up space, rather than create an interesting world. Even when it references specific things in the films, it doesn't do so in an interesting way that services interest in the IP.

BrianLo

I'm really not sure I agree with this. Gringotts, Fast and Furious and Mario Kart all pretty poorly recreate the experiences one is expecting from their source material. Perhaps the chosen experiences were matched but the ride profiles were not? UC can be a mixed bag.

Disney's most overt "I want to pilot the Millennium Falcon" is also my least favourite of their recent attractions.

Weather_Lady

I'm really not sure I agree with this. Gringotts, Fast and Furious and Mario Kart all pretty poorly recreate the experiences one is expecting from their source material. Perhaps the chosen experiences were matched but the ride profiles were not? UC can be a mixed bag.
I was referring to the annoumced EU attractions, not the ones in other parks, but I agree there have been some big misses there.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
The park stopped construction during Covid, but okay. It still takes Disney that long to build a single ride.
I wasn't counting the months of construction pause. I mean, that would be dishonest and disingenuous... despite the fact that people do that to Disney's projects during the pandemic.

So, let's add on 8 months for the pause and call it 6 years!

Andrew25

The park stopped construction during Covid, but okay. It still takes Disney that long to build a single ride.
Don't forget 3 resort hotels and related infrastructure projects.

I think people forget that Universal is building some major attractions at Epic, 2 of which are completely new and will include unique ride elements/scenes never utilized yet in a theme park. Not to mention the park is huge.

Poseidon Quest

Disney's most overt "I want to pilot the Millennium Falcon" is also my least favourite of their recent attractions.

Other than Fast and Furious, I don't agree. Gringotts certainly services fans of the franchise with an impressive and atmospheric queue, and while the actual ride portion suffers from pacing issues in the second half, it definitely delivers on a thrilling mine cart ride through the vaults. I don't see any issues with Mario Kart either. It may not have the depth of gameplay as the actual games, but it's a practical implementation of those mechanics into a physical ride.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom