Universal Epic Universe (South Expansion Complex) - Opens 2025

trr1

Alicia Stella
@AliciaStella

A permit for the upcoming Universal Orlando hotel across the street from Epic Universe, known as Project 912, has been updated with details. Describes work for: "Pool building/pool bar, pool, spa, splash pad and associated hardscape." Aerial by
@bioreconstruct
with arrow at land
1651520108035.png
1651520116690.png

1651520130426.png
1651520141123.png

Indy_UK

Must be the Disney fan in me but I’m not excited about Epic Universe. My son will love Nintendo land though and it’s great for competition

Andrew25

Must be the Disney fan in me but I’m not excited about Epic Universe. My son will love Nintendo land though and it’s great for competition

Why not? (Not trying to start a Disney vs Universal argument.) Just interested in knowing why. I know that Universal isn't for everybody, but it seems like this park is going to be their closest attempt at offering very similar attraction experiences to Disney.

OG Runner

I am also a Disney fan, and I think you will find plenty to enjoy at Epic Universe. Another extension of the Wizarding World,
the aforementioned Nintendo Land, How to Train Your Dragon, etc. and it is all being added to Universal's current offerings.
You might not be excited, but once it is here you will probably try it and enjoy it.

Indy_UK

Why not? (Not trying to start a Disney vs Universal argument.) Just interested in knowing why. I know that Universal isn't for everybody, but it seems like this park is going to be their closest attempt at offering very similar attraction experiences to Disney.

Nintendo I get absolutely. But does ‘how to train your dragon’ warrant itself own area?Is it that big of an IP?

Harry Potter I get for those fans but with all this IP, could they have not put in their current parks when you clear out the old stuff like woody woodpecker land, mythos area etc?

Maybe it’s me but it just feels very spread out

celluloid

Nintendo I get absolutely. But does ‘how to train your dragon’ warrant itself own area?Is it that big of an IP?

Harry Potter I get for those fans but with all this IP, could they have not put in their current parks when you clear out the old stuff like woody woodpecker land, mythos area etc?

I think this is totally valid but Disney has done this at the four parks as well. Disney did this when they had Lion King represented as shows, with puppets(albeit different kinds) and music at different parks. The two most popular and for awhile the only two toy story rides are interactive shooting based rides. If it sells another ticket to that park than it is worth it for their perspective.

The classic monsters is the only thing really luring me to Epic Universe other than the excitement of an actual new theme park resort expansion being built...since the 90s.

trr1

bioreconstruct
@bioreconstruct
May 8

Aerial look at some of the attraction staging of Universal's Epic Universe. Notably, track for Yoshi's Adventure is at the blue tarps.
1652125303195.png

Aerial look at where I-4 makes a turn at Central Florida Pwy. If I-4 continued straight instead it would cross Universal's Epic Universe at about where a fountain basin will be in front of the in-park hotel
1652125327077.png

Aerial look at the extension of Kirkman Rd, at shifted lanes of Universal Blvd. Left side of the road construction to be an Epic Universe resort hotel.
@OrlandoParkStop
has an article about the hotel site: https://orlandoparkstop.com/news/theme-park-news/universal-orlando-developing-second-hotel-for-epic-universe/
1652125365688.png

Left arrow in this aerial at a planned fountain in Universal's Epic Universe. In-park hotel behind the arrow. Right arrow is excavation for what seems to be a water-related carousel. See
@OrlandoParkStop
article https://orlandoparkstop.com/news/theme-park-news/work-begins-on-possible-carousel-at-universals-epic-universe/… Foreground: Super Nintendo World
1652125388269.png

Aerial look at work on Donkey Kong. In Super Nintendo World at Epic Universe.
1652125420313.png

Aerial overview of Universal's Epic Universe. At center, the extension of Kirkman Rd, where construction has shifted lanes of Universal Blvd. Left arrow at attraction staging. Notably, track for Yoshi's Adventure. Right arrow, a UEU resort hotel site.
1652125444776.png

Andrew25

So your issue with EU are the IPs its based on? Cause I agree that having a land based on HTTYD is an odd choice when the IP isn't as relevant. But I see it as a very similar situation to Pandora in which the land itself is different/great enough where the IP itself doesn't really matter.

I would agree that I would much rather prefer most of what's coming to EU be moved to the two current parks since they both (especially USF) have areas that need improvement. I would much rather have two fully-fledged parks versus EU. However, there are plans in the works for USF, so EU is the best long-term strategy for Uni.

JT3000

I would certainly hope not. Universal is at their best when innovating, not just copying Disney. But I've seen no reason to believe the latter is their intention.

The current parks already have, on average, more attractions than Disney's. Could they still be improved? Certainly, but they're lacking in room to expand and you're not going to fit an entire third park's worth of content into their problem areas. So while their potential may not be maximized, it's not like they're opening another half-day park with two such incomplete parks already in their inventory. As far as actual expansion goes, and not just replacing what isn't working anymore, now is as good a time as any to build a third park. Especially given the space this can free up at the Studios with the relocation of backstage facilities.

I don't consider all of the IP choices for Epic Universe to be optimal by any means, but if their being there is what it takes to get a whole new park open, then so be it. We've already seen in the past that Universal isn't shy about replacing entire lands if they believe they've found a better use for the space, so I'm not that concerned if something like HTTYD doesn't take off (maybe they'll turn it into the more generalized Dreamworks land I believe it should be.) But my immediate concern is the quality of the product, not how hyped I am for the IPs they chose.

And yes, they're going to continue spreading out the wizarding IP amongst each park, because it brings in the extra $$$, but it won't be the only IP they use this strategy with. Disney has done the same thing, just on a smaller scale.

Last edited:

matt9112

I would rather the land and or attractions and execution carry the experience vs the IP it is tied to.
I am excited most about the park as an item. The biggest for universal is a big deal. Fleshing out a vacation package to compete more closely with disney. It really propels the entire resort forward. I agree that HTTYD comes across as weak however it probably lends itself to an immersive land more so than say pets. There options for "kid land" were limited. Minions...pets...come to mind? Do they own trolls? None of there kid IPs really have the same power as disney property. So I figure a viking village is as good as anything.

EPCOTCenterLover

I would rather the land and or attractions and execution carry the experience vs the IP it is tied to.
I am excited most about the park as an item. The biggest for universal is a big deal. Fleshing out a vacation package to compete more closely with disney. It really propels the entire resort forward. I agree that HTTYD comes across as weak however it probably lends itself to an immersive land more so than say pets. There options for "kid land" were limited. Minions...pets...come to mind? Do they own trolls? None of there kid IPs really have the same power as disney property. So I figure a viking village is as good as anything.
Maybe Universal can buy some trolls that Disney may still have in their possession. ;)

Andrew25

I think Epic Universe is a POTC-style boat ride away from really competing for the family market.

Genie+, as evil as it is, will become a necessity for Disney... it'll be a huge market for people visiting Universal and wanting to visit WDW for a day or two.

How the tables have turned...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom