Union Performances Not Returning

Lil Copter Cap

Original Poster
Disney allegedly requested the return for live performers (Finding Nemo, Beauty and the Beast, and other on-stage Equity performances). Disney requested that performers not wear masks, with the idea that they would be far enough away from guests. After push back from Cast Members in shows via their union representatives, Disney has rescinded their recalling of live performers. Understandably so, most performers do not feel comfortable performing partnered dances, as well as exhaling and sweating in close proximity with one another.

The only confirmed live performance experience that I know of is Voices of Liberty. (A few friends have received full-time performance offers for the upcoming park opening.) With strategic scheduling and utilization of the second floor for guest and Cast Member safety, this is the only current live performance offering that I know being discussed.

Again, the above information is specific to those performances that abide by the Actors Equity Association guidelines.

TrainsOfDisney

This is not news... this was clear when Disney announced attractions that would be opening. All equity attractions were left out.

It should never have been expected that they would return if an agreement had not been made with equity.

natatomic

Disney allegedly requested the return for live performers (Finding Nemo, Beauty and the Beast, and other on-stage Equity performances). Disney requested that performers not wear masks, with the idea that they would be far enough away from guests. After push back from Cast Members in shows via their union representatives, Disney has rescinded their recalling of live performers. Understandably so, most performers do not feel comfortable performing partnered dances, as well as exhaling and sweating in close proximity with one another.

The only confirmed live performance experience that I know of is Voices of Liberty. (A few friends have received full-time performance offers for the upcoming park opening.) With strategic scheduling and utilization of the second floor for guest and Cast Member safety, this is the only current live performance offering that I know being discussed.

Again, the above information is specific to those performances that abide by the Actors Equity Association guidelines.
VoL isn’t going back right now either, unfortunately. 😭😭😭

Giss Neric

Not a big deal as shows are secondary to me personally when I visit the parks.

I do hope they can reach to a deal though.

The actors in Bourne Stuntacular at Universal were all wearing masks. It kinda takes away from the immersion but kinda not cause it's an action packed show unlike the Disney shows where you really focus on the characters instead of the action.

Mainahman

Doesn't surprise me. I mean we figured this would be the case. It wasn't a social distancing in the theater issue. That seems pretty easy to do however if they can't get the union on board it's a no go. I'll miss it, but also secondary to me. We usually only go while we have time to kill before next attraction.

Haymarket2008

There is no Phase 4 in Florida. Are you talking about California?

I'm not a performer in FL, I'm based out of NYC, so I can't specifically speak for FL. I am mainly talking about any regional theatre around the country or a theatre in NYC. The situation for union performers is: we are not performing until there is a vaccine/a stable Phase 4. That is why the Broadway League has pushed the expectant opening until January at the earliest.

Ragtime109

As far as I have heard, Disney won't approve one fairly minor thing. Disney wants the performers to be the only employees in the parks to not have masks, meaning they risk spreading Covid to one another. Equity asked Disney to test all performers once a week in order to prevent large outbreaks, and Disney refused. I, personally, think that is a very reasonable request by the union if Disney expects performers to work with no masks in close proximity.

Last edited:

Ragtime109

No, the main point of my post is that Disney is implying that the union is holding things up, but it sounds like the testing is where Disney put its foot down for some reason.

TrainsOfDisney

No, the main point of my post is that Disney is implying that the union is holding things up, but it sounds like the testing is where Disney put its foot down for some reason.

Gotcha. I know some Florida based equity actors who are not ready to go back yet due to the rising case numbers.

I’ve been trying to find out if equity has approved any performers to go back to rehearsals and perform again nationwide. I haven’t seen any official sources that say either way.

Ragtime109

Here is an article where Equity says that they are asking for testing: Article

"McColl continued, 'It is deeply disturbing that while coronavirus cases in Florida surge, Disney is refusing to provide regular testing to one of the few groups of workers in the park who by the very nature of their jobs, cannot use personal protective equipment. Now is the time for Disney to pause, focus on the science and put the safety of their actors and stage managers first by making regular testing available.'”

Even if they do come to an agreement, I would assume individual performers could still make a decision not to return right away, though I don't know how that would impact unemployment.

To my knowledge, there are no equity actors returning to any work at this point. Some non-union dinner theaters are operating.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom