Understanding Walt!!!!

TP2000

Thanks to these guys we wouldn't have Epcot Center the way it is...It would have been a DVC City now for all we know..
9317541111_dd8b50fa50_o.png

from Passport to dreams
That's a great picture and I've never seen it before! It's also kind of funny as a typically early 1980's kitschy image that's trying to be so reverent but just makes you giggle.

Walt Disney1955

To be honest, I know a lot of people don't like Neal Gabler's book on Walt Disney, but I thought it tapped into a lot of the insight he had. I never thought it painted him in a negative light. It painted him as a workaholic, a hard working guy, a perfectionist. I mean, he created Disneyland, you had to have those attributes.

Anyway, Walt himself said that his vision for Disneyland came from sitting on a bench in the park where his daughters would play and dreaming it up. They have that actual bench in Disneyland on display. He said he would sit there while they were on the playground and think of a way that both children AND parents would enjoy themselves.

Prior to that he was a cartoonist, you have to have an imagination for that. He had seen Snow White as a play prior to that. Eventually he started making movies. With the movies came the park, which were inspired by many of his films. Basically he never lost his childlike imagination.

POLY LOVER

To be honest, I know a lot of people don't like Neal Gabler's book on Walt Disney, but I thought it tapped into a lot of the insight he had. I never thought it painted him in a negative light. It painted him as a workaholic, a hard working guy, a perfectionist. I mean, he created Disneyland, you had to have those attributes.

Anyway, Walt himself said that his vision for Disneyland came from sitting on a bench in the park where his daughters would play and dreaming it up. They have that actual bench in Disneyland on display. He said he would sit there while they were on the playground and think of a way that both children AND parents would enjoy themselves.

Prior to that he was a cartoonist, you have to have an imagination for that. He had seen Snow White as a play prior to that. Eventually he started making movies. With the movies came the park, which were inspired by many of his films. Basically he never lost his childlike imagination.

I think this is why the CEO's that have followed have a difficult time maintaining the dream. They were not the creators and don't have the passion he had.

POLY LOVER

the Disney company is a unique business that requires a certain special set of skills. I agree with all of the above but I think we need a CEO with some small touch of imagination and vision, If you are just driven by the EPS then we are in for a bumpy road at some point. You have to understand and have passion for the business you run. Its easy to outsource, make licensing deals and cut jos to make the bottom line look good. No skill there you just need some lawyers to milk the existing product and your name.

I think Eisner had some of that. I think Eisner had some appreciation for the companys history and Walts dream. Iger just doesn't come off the same way? He may have it but just doesn't show it like Eisner did.,

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom