Under The Dome

Zman-ks

I missed it....but going to watch it tonight. :)
75.gif

DisneyJoe

Stephen King - summer TV mini-series. Small town in Maine, somehow a clear dome made out of a force field? is put over the town - nothing can get in or out.

I haven't watched it yet.

Steve-B

I read the book, and really enjoyed it. So far there are a couple of departures from the book that I'm not sure I like, but I'm going to give the show a chance to win me over.

puppawuppa

I read the book, and really enjoyed it. So far there are a couple of departures from the book that I'm not sure I like, but I'm going to give the show a chance to win me over.

Same here. Curious to see how the mini series is compared to the book. So far I like the mini series. Keep an eye out for Steven King, he makes small appearances on his movies.

Blueskyze

Agree! They have changed a lot of things about the characters, and it seems they may depart even further from the book as it goes along. I enjoyed the first episode a lot. Stephen King is my favorite author, so I'm hoping they do this book justice!

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward

Possible spoilers for book readers -

All the reviews I have read said there were a lot of changes from the book including a different ending and reasoning behind why the dome was there. All the changes were with the blessing for Stephen King and to make the story work better for TV.

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
What things are different from the book then the show

Book Changes -
The dome is sound proof
The dome can be touched in the book you get zapped every time you even get close.
The female cop and her firefighter husband are both inside the dome.
Barbie introduced burying a dead body instead of being jumped by some people.
The typical missing characters (may be introduced later) or lesser characters that seem to be more prominent in miniseries. Also making character younger, look different etc.

I'm sure there are more I'm missing.

Steve-B

Possibly more spoilers -

If I remember right, Barbie was more of a drifter who had just kind of landed in town and was working at the local diner, but getting ready to move on. He was also former military (may still be). And he was a "good guy" not a murderer.
Also, I think Shumway was a widow (or never married).

bsiev1977

Possibly more spoilers -

If I remember right, Barbie was more of a drifter who had just kind of landed in town and was working at the local diner, but getting ready to move on. He was also former military (may still be). And he was a "good guy" not a murderer.
Also, I think Shumway was a widow (or never married).

I forget about Shumway, but you are right about Barbie.
That bothered me a little, but I'll wait and see where they are going with the character. He didn't seem like a total creep.

Also, they seemed to cut out the First Selectman. In the books, Big Jim was Second Selectman of the town. He liked being Second, as the First was kind of his puppet.

Steve-B

Also, they seemed to cut out the First Selectman. In the books, Big Jim was Second Selectman of the town. He liked being Second, as the First was kind of his puppet.

I forgot about that. But then, it's been a few years since I "read" the book (I put read in quotes because I actually listened to the audiobook, which was very entertaining in its own right).

bsiev1977

I forgot about that. But then, it's been a few years since I "read" the book (I put read in quotes because I actually listened to the audiobook, which was very entertaining in its own right).
I tried to re-read it a few weeks ago. Got it from the library, started, and found I didn't have the time. Huge book.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom