Under-Appreciated Attractions

OG Runner

I like the discussion, and it appears most of the responses are for more tame rides.
The wild rides do get more of the press and in fact the longer waiting lines. I think
this discussion goes to prove some people that go to Disney World's parks are still
looking to have some time to relax and just enjoy being there. With that build up
I would like to through Small World into the mix. I ride every time I go to Disney.
It is not wild or exciting and yes the music will stay in your head for a while, but I
enjoy it and this ride actually takes it's share of being disrespected, never mind
under appreciated.

Sbk1234

Original Poster
I like the discussion, and it appears most of the responses are for more tame rides.
The wild rides do get more of the press and in fact the longer waiting lines. I think
this discussion goes to prove some people that go to Disney World's parks are still
looking to have some time to relax and just enjoy being there. With that build up
I would like to through Small World into the mix. I ride every time I go to Disney.
It is not wild or exciting and yes the music will stay in your head for a while, but I
enjoy it and this ride actually takes it's share of being disrespected, never mind
under appreciated.
Agree 100%

Homemade Imagineering

under appreciated.
Agreed. It makes me annoyed whenever I see people constantly complaining about IASW for the same few reasons, whether its music annoys them, or the dolls are "creepy." It's really a shame that people, most notably the general public can't seem to at least appreciate it for what it stands for, and its rich history. Of course I understand why people may feel this way, but still, it would be refreshing if people who loathe the thing, at the very least, respected the attraction.

MickeyLuv'r

MK - One of my favorite things in MK, though not currently an option, is/was walking IN, when the masses walking OUT. Parade time, when MK still had late night hours.

All WDW- the plants and flowers!

Epcot - The rose garden, and if it is winter/spring, then more or less exploring all the flower (festival) gardens. Mexico has a secret pathway of orchids. It is mostly phals, but still a profusion of orchids all around! The container gardens of Italy are always pretty. The zodiac of China gets recycled every year, but the pond is well landscaped and sometimes has lotus blooms. The Victoria gardens of Canada are another lovely hidden gem. And who could forget the gardens and bonsai of Japan? Just seeing green and flowers all over WDW in the dead of winter is always such a treat!

Haunted Mansion's 'blood' red roses. About ten years ago, HM's roses were even more of the fantastic deep red, but hey ripped them out when they renovated. for a few years, there was no roses at all, but they recently replanted them. not as deep red as they once were, but still a nice touch.

ppete1975

All the spinners. I know they get a lot of flack, but they're short lines, nice views, and fun little rides for the little ones. You can't have a whole park of E-tickets. I like the magic carpets better than dumbo.
i agreed with you before you said carpets before dumbo ;)
But thats just cause i think of dumbo as one of the classic walt rides from disneyland, so it might be more nostalgia than actual ride quality.
Astro orbitor is my favorite, especially at night. I was not expecting much but with all the lights and views its spectacular at night. As real estate people say.. location location location... if this was on the ground i wouldnt care nearly as much.

aliceismad

i agreed with you before you said carpets before dumbo ;)
But thats just cause i think of dumbo as one of the classic walt rides from disneyland, so it might be more nostalgia than actual ride quality.
Astro orbitor is my favorite, especially at night. I was not expecting much but with all the lights and views its spectacular at night. As real estate people say.. location location location... if this was on the ground i wouldnt care nearly as much.
Dumbo is the classic, and I feel like many people would opt to rip out the rest of the spinners and just keep Dumbo. I feel like Magic Carpet is the most underrated, partly because its location is poor in a choke point area.

aliceismad

MK - One of my favorite things in MK, though not currently an option, is/was walking IN, when the masses walking OUT. Parade time, when MK still had late night hours.

All WDW- the plants and flowers!

Epcot - The rose garden, and if it is winter/spring, then more or less exploring all the flower (festival) gardens. Mexico has a secret pathway of orchids. It is mostly phals, but still a profusion of orchids all around! The container gardens of Italy are always pretty. The zodiac of China gets recycled every year, but the pond is well landscaped and sometimes has lotus blooms. The Victoria gardens of Canada are another lovely hidden gem. And who could forget the gardens and bonsai of Japan? Just seeing green and flowers all over WDW in the dead of winter is always such a treat!

Haunted Mansion's 'blood' red roses. About ten years ago, HM's roses were even more of the fantastic deep red, but hey ripped them out when they renovated. for a few years, there was no roses at all, but they recently replanted them. not as deep red as they once were, but still a nice touch.
Totally agree with this. Also I love the bonsai at Epcot. They're so remarkable and peaceful.

ppete1975

Dumbo is the classic, and I feel like many people would opt to rip out the rest of the spinners and just keep Dumbo. I feel like Magic Carpet is the most underrated, partly because its location is poor in a choke point area.
BTW you cost me 27 dollars as i just bought something astro orbiter on the internet lol!!
I still think an indoor spinner would be awesome you could do so much with lights, effects, sound, and maybe even AAs (and in theory would be very inexpensive to do).
The one i want to ride is the inside out emotional whirlwind at disneyland, they looked to have themed it really well (although the ride vehicles arent what i would have picked). But it gets flack cause "its just a spinner"

aliceismad

BTW you cost me 27 dollars as i just bought something astro orbiter on the internet lol!!
I still think an indoor spinner would be awesome you could do so much with lights, effects, sound, and maybe even AAs (and in theory would be very inexpensive to do).
The one i want to ride is the inside out emotional whirlwind at disneyland, they looked to have themed it really well (although the ride vehicles arent what i would have picked). But it gets flack cause "its just a spinner"
Alien swirling saucers and tea cups are is sort of inside and sort of have AA. Flat rides rather than spinners, but I feel like both have value in the parks. Tea cups is an absolute must-do for me, and I'm currently drinking tea from a Mad Tea Party tea cup. But again, tea cups have the nostalgia factor and A-S-S got a lot of flack when it opened because "couldn't Disney do something better than a mediocre kiddie coaster and a flat ride."

And, honestly I feel like everything at DCA gets flack as well. I agree that the park lacks some continuity, but many of the elements there are better than their counterparts at WDW.

MickeyLuv'r

This is part of why I like Twirl N' Hurl, As lame as the other Simpson's ride is, the person who made the TN'H ride had fun with the concept. For that matter, the One Fish Two Fish ride is also a playful take.

The current Dumbo is fine, except we lost the superb view. I don't miss the little plastic cards though. (Riders were given a plastic card that they were supposed to put on Dumbo's ear. A CM had to go around and collect all of them, but people would forget or drop the cards.) Those cards inflated the wait time.

I also just found the inefficiency a bit frustrating to watch, which tainted my appreciation of the ride.

Now, I think it is just somewhat tucked in a spot that is easy to overlook, which is a bit unfortunate.

Tegan pilots a chicken

Sharpie Queen 💜
Premium Member
MK: WEDWay Peoplemover

EPCOT: I know it’s a Forum Favorite but Living With The Land is obviously tremendously underrated. Also the Circle Vision films in World Showcase.

DHS: The Echo Lake area is just pleasant to be in.

AK: The street performances are absolutely wonderful.

DL: ALL OF IT.

DCA: Monsters Inc is a really, really fun dark ride. We don’t have this one on the East Coast so it’s a must-do when we visit.

UNCgolf

Na'vi River Journey.

It's overshadowed by Flight of Passage and can't live up to the expectations engendered by the often astronomical wait times, but looking at it in a vacuum it's a relaxing boat ride through gorgeous, well-realized setting. Sure it's too short and doesn't really have a plot, but if not for the wait times I could happily ride it 5 or 6 times in a row. It actually feels like you've been transported to a river in an alien jungle because of how detailed everything is.

Sbk1234

Original Poster
Na'vi River Journey.

It's overshadowed by Flight of Passage and can't live up to the expectations engendered by the often astronomical wait times, but looking at it in a vacuum it's a relaxing boat ride through gorgeous, well-realized setting. Sure it's too short and doesn't really have a plot, but if not for the wait times I could happily ride it 5 or 6 times in a row. It actually feels like you've been transported to a river in an alien jungle because of how detailed everything is.
I haven’t seen any of Pandora Land yet (last trip was 2016), but I’m actually more interested in seeing the Navi River Journey than Flight of Passage.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom