Under-Appreciated Attractions

Sbk1234

Original Poster
With all the serious stuff going on in the world, I thought I would just start something light hearted. I know this has been discussed a million times before, but why not again?

Of course, people love Haunted Mansion, and Expedition Everest, and lots of other BIG rides. But what's your favorite under-appreciated attraction at any of the Disney parks?
For discussion sake, feel free to include parks outside of WDW, but it would be nice to mention at least one attraction from WDW to keep it relevant to this forum.

No wrong answers. I just want something pleasant to talk about.

For me, I've broken it down as such:

Magic Kingdom: People Mover - it's a relaxing way to enjoy Tomorrowland with great views.

Epcot: Grand Fiesta Tour - Even with the Donald and company overlay, it's an old-style Epcot dark ride which is still fully immersive. Cool and relaxing.

Disneyland: The canoes. They seem the most immersive of almost any attraction. It's so easy to lose myself and pretend I'm really out in the frontier.

Disneyland Paris: The Main Street Arcades. I don't know if they really count as attractions, but they were a wonderful, out of the way way to get down Main Street and avoid heat and crowds. And they were every bit as themed as the rest of Main Street.

Last edited:

belledream

I immediately want to say things like TTA and Living with the Land, but I think they actually get some much-deserved love these days. So thinking a little more outside my little box...

MK: Liberty Square Riverboat - We largely ignored it until our most recent trip and went on merely because of good timing... felt like we had left the busy park, and it turned out to be a great 20 minutes of sights I hadn't seen in a long time!

EP: Agree with Gran Fiesta Tour. Don't care much for the screens, but there are a lot of little gems of decor and some cool effects with the fireworks. Plus, get me as close to that pyramid as we can, please!

HS: Walt Disney Presents (aka One Man's Dream) So many different items, models, and tidbits of information being showcased here. We'll always stop by.

AK: Conservation Station. The Wildlife Express may be the best part about it, but I also enjoy sitting down inside Songs of the Rainforest. And once upon a time, I enjoyed petting those goats, too.

Sbk1234

Original Poster
HS: Walt Disney Presents (aka One Man's Dream) So many different items, models, and tidbits of information being showcased here. We'll always stop by.

AK: Conservation Station. The Wildlife Express may be the best part about it, but I also enjoy sitting down inside Songs of the Rainforest. And once upon a time, I enjoyed petting those goats, too.
I had actually forgotten about both of these gems (which shows how under-appreciated they are!) but I agree with you completely! I discovered those rainforest sound booths, then took my kids in one at a time, so I could hear it again and again. the Studios had a version of that 3D sound years ago which was incredible! A shame it's gone now.

DisneyNittany

Trying to think of attractions that are truly under-appreciated and/or don't have a cult following (i.e. TTA - I love it too, but it seems to get a ton of love in the WDW community)

Magic Kingdom: Astro Orbiter (views) / CoP (not sure if it's under-appreciated or not, since it's beloved by die-hards)
Epcot: Grand Fiesta (love Donald) or Friendship Boat (across lagoon)
Hollywood Studios: Toy Story Midway Mania (again, not sure if it's under-appreciated, but it's my wife's favorite attraction on property and I don't think I've met or heard anyone else say that before)
Animal Kingdom: Wild Life Express (although, I think the treks are severely under-appreciated)

ppete1975

hmm
magic kingdom -
the speedway (nostalgia, and the look on kids faces when they drive for the first time)
the swiss family treehouse (great view and history of a movie, unfortunately when its crowded and people are all around you, you cant enjoy it (not an issue right now)
-not sure if people mover counts
Epcot-
living with the land
gran fiesta (love the three caballeros.. they could be selling used cars and id buy one
hollywood studios-
Star tours (i feel with the new land its been forgotten)
MUPPETS

Places to look (just sit and relax and realize the magic)
echo lake
to the left of the castle
to the right of the castle (i feel the sides are more amazing than straight on)
all of the area between future world and world showcase (the water, the flowers)
any view with spaceship earth

The monorail for transportation

and night time... THE ELECTRICAL WATER PAGEANT.. which i never hear talked about

Sbk1234

Original Poster
ppete1975, You're absolutely correct about places to just, relax, and realize the magic!

I'd be here for hours if I tried to list all of my favorites of those!
But just to mention a few, I'll leave the parks and say the grounds at Port Orleans Riverside, the lobby of the Polynesian, the horseback riding trails in Fort Wilderness, the lobby of the Wilderness Lodge, an early morning stroll around the lake at Caribbean Beach Resort.

ppete1975

ppete1975, You're absolutely correct about places to just, relax, and realize the magic!

I'd be here for hours if I tried to list all of my favorites of those!
But just to mention a few, I'll leave the parks and say the grounds at Port Orleans Riverside, the lobby of the Polynesian, the horseback riding trails in Fort Wilderness, the lobby of the Wilderness Lodge, an early morning stroll around the lake at Caribbean Beach Resort.
ive never been to fort wilderness its on my long list :) but port orleans riverside ... i stay there everytime i even have a table i always sit at for breakfast :) thats the magic that to me no other place can fill... its like a magic home.

yeti

I love the 3D shows. Philharmagic, Muppets, and Tough to be a Bug. They’re great.

Frozen ever after is an awesome little ride (appreciated by the GP but reviled by parks fans)

Ditto Soarin’ Around the World (has clear technical flaws that the original didn’t have, but overall I like it more)

Reflections of China and Impressions de France.

The Dr Seuss land at Universal has two of my favourites (Cat in the Hat, Seuss Trolly Train Ride)

the all time most underrated attraction in Disney history however is the Golden Zephyr. Freakin love that thing

ppete1975

I love the 3D shows. Philharmagic, Muppets, and Tough to be a Bug. They’re great.

Frozen ever after is an awesome little ride (appreciated by the GP but reviled by parks fans)

Ditto Soarin’ Around the World (has clear technical flaws that the original didn’t have, but overall I like it more)

Reflections of China and Impressions de France.

The Dr Seuss land at Universal has two of my favourites (Cat in the Hat, Seuss Trolly Train Ride)

the all time most underrated attraction in Disney history however is the Golden Zephyr. Freakin love that thing
as someone who hasnt been to disneyland, the golden zephyr looks cool (reminds me of old amusement parks), but i was wondering why you love it so much. (I tried to find a better way to word that so apologies), but what makes it awesome.. to someone who hasnt had the opportunity, i feel there is more than meets the eye in your happiness towards it :)

Sbk1234

Original Poster
ive never been to fort wilderness its on my long list :) but port orleans riverside ... i stay there everytime i even have a table i always sit at for breakfast :) thats the magic that to me no other place can fill... its like a magic home.
I get it! People think I’m crazy because a big part of my love for Walt Disney World and some of my greatest memories have to do with the resorts. Last time we were there in 2016 was over my wife’s birthday. That evening she wanted to take it somewhat easy and we ended up riding a horse drawn carriage (a family tradition on every vacation) around Port Orleans Riverside. Magical is a good description.

JIMINYCR

JIYI Figment. Gets knocked a lot. I get it... I realize theres a lot of animosity to Eric Idle's part, the loss of the Dreammaker, the lack of thrill factor, and mulititud of other reasons. But I enjoy the attraction and look forward to the relaxing ride through.
CBJ. Yes the corniness of it all, the hillbilly set, the country hoe down songs, the old animatronics and just the fact that its old. I enjoy it all. Its a refreshing break from all the other loud, in your face, projections, must give you a reaction or get you to react type attractions. And I do like country music, so I admitted it.
SFT. Sure, theres lots of stairs to climb, but it burns off the snack calories youve been eating, there are some neat items in those rooms if you take the time to look, its rarely crowded and Ive never had a line to wait in, it connects to an old classic Walt movie, and theres great views especially in the evening.
All the EP pavilion films I enjoy taking my time and spending my time in all the pavilions. Seeing those films gives me a brief look at more of those places I'll never get to see personally. The film may be gritty or the sound a bit off, they may need updates and better narrators, but I'll sit through them. I'm in no hurry to leave.

Sbk1234

Original Poster
JIYI Figment. Gets knocked a lot. I get it... I realize theres a lot of animosity to Eric Idle's part, the loss of the Dreammaker, the lack of thrill factor, and mulititud of other reasons. But I enjoy the attraction and look forward to the relaxing ride through.
CBJ. Yes the corniness of it all, the hillbilly set, the country hoe down songs, the old animatronics and just the fact that its old. I enjoy it all. Its a refreshing break from all the other loud, in your face, projections, must give you a reaction or get you to react type attractions. And I do like country music, so I admitted it.
SFT. Sure, theres lots of stairs to climb, but it burns off the snack calories youve been eating, there are some neat items in those rooms if you take the time to look, its rarely crowded and Ive never had a line to wait in, it connects to an old classic Walt movie, and theres great views especially in the evening.
All the EP pavilion films I enjoy taking my time and spending my time in all the pavilions. Seeing those films gives me a brief look at more of those places I'll never get to see personally. The film may be gritty or the sound a bit off, they may need updates and better narrators, but I'll sit through them. I'm in no hurry to leave.
I agree with most of this. I’ll admit to resenting the current version of Imagination, since the original was such a near-perfect classic, but I still enjoyed the new version, too. I have no problem with Eric Idle, being a fan of his since his Monty Python days.

I really, really agree with how you picked all slower moving, relaxing attractions. Everything doesn’t need to be a thrill ride to be enjoyable and valuable. It’s those slower attractions that I tend to find myself missing most.

yeti

as someone who hasnt been to disneyland, the golden zephyr looks cool (reminds me of old amusement parks), but i was wondering why you love it so much. (I tried to find a better way to word that so apologies), but what makes it awesome.. to someone who hasnt had the opportunity, i feel there is more than meets the eye in your happiness towards it :)

No need to apologize good sir! I’d love to attempt to explain it. But at the same time I can’t put my finger on it. It’s just a great throwback to the heyday of amusement parks at the beginning of the 20th century for one thing. But it’s also just a beautiful, simple, serene ride in a lovely setting. The natural kinetic energy and lack of giant pistons is refreshing and adds a little thrill. It’s just a really original B ticket 😊 Plus I always sing one of my favourite Red Hot Chili Peppers songs to myself when I’m on it 🤣

kamluvsdisneyland

I'm a California girl, so I immediately think of Disneyland: a ride that comes to mind without is Casey Jr Circus Train. My appreciation for it is not out of nostalgia either - my family didn't ride it when I was a kid. When I was in my 20's, my husband and I had annual passes (before there were numerous options and you needed a loan to buy one!) We loved riding Casey Jr in the caboose, preferably sitting backward. Back then they ran the ride a bit faster than they do now, and especially when they only had 1 train in use, you could get some good speed going near the end of the ride. The combination of the speed, the crescendoing music, and being in the caboose was great fun! All the little kids riding thought we were strange, and were sometimes upset when we got to the caboose before them! The bonus is that during the ride you are looking down on the miniature buildings of Storybook Land Canal Boats, which I also love and could be considered an underrated attraction as well.

ppete1975

I'm a California girl, so I immediately think of Disneyland: a ride that comes to mind without is Casey Jr Circus Train. My appreciation for it is not out of nostalgia either - my family didn't ride it when I was a kid. When I was in my 20's, my husband and I had annual passes (before there were numerous options and you needed a loan to buy one!) We loved riding Casey Jr in the caboose, preferably sitting backward. Back then they ran the ride a bit faster than they do now, and especially when they only had 1 train in use, you could get some good speed going near the end of the ride. The combination of the speed, the crescendoing music, and being in the caboose was great fun! All the little kids riding thought we were strange, and were sometimes upset when we got to the caboose before them! The bonus is that during the ride you are looking down on the miniature buildings of Storybook Land Canal Boats, which I also love and could be considered an underrated attraction as well.
story book canals is a big part of why i was going to disneyland in 2021 (was) that and casey, matterhorn and small world.. but ever since i saw maestro ive said i have to do that someday
AND WELCOME!!

Trackmaster

Yeah, I find myself enjoy the Future World stuff at Epcot as well. I'm not sure if they're really hated by people, I just think it just has more to do with the fact that most people just go Epcot to go straight to the World Showcase, and at most might do Test Track. The pavilions are just an afterthought and a lot of people forget about them. It also probably doesn't help that Epcot is the one "adult park" and most of that stuff is geared towards kids.

I'm not sure if I was a "nerdy kid" but when I went to Disney as a young kid in the 90s, Epcot was my favorite by far (DAK was in its first year to give a reference). I just thought that there was so much to do and I loved all of the science stuff. Unfortunately a lot of the stuff that I loved then is long gone now.

kwoodfan1

I feel like some rides are getting so much pub for being underrated, that they are in danger of being overrated. Looking at you, Peoplemover and CoP.

STILL Underrated...
MK - Enchanted Tales with Belle
Epcot - Voices of Liberty
HW - Hear so much about ToT, that I feel like RnR doesn't get its due.
AK - Dawa Bar in the Evening

JIMINYCR

Yeah, I find myself enjoy the Future World stuff at Epcot as well. I'm not sure if they're really hated by people, I just think it just has more to do with the fact that most people just go Epcot to go straight to the World Showcase, and at most might do Test Track. The pavilions are just an afterthought and a lot of people forget about them. It also probably doesn't help that Epcot is the one "adult park" and most of that stuff is geared towards kids.

I'm not sure if I was a "nerdy kid" but when I went to Disney as a young kid in the 90s, Epcot was my favorite by far (DAK was in its first year to give a reference). I just thought that there was so much to do and I loved all of the science stuff. Unfortunately a lot of the stuff that I loved then is long gone now.
Our DS always enjoyed talking to the different foreign CM's when he was young, learning about their countries and in all the ways our country and traditions differ from them. I still have his passport somewhere where they each wrote him a personal message in their language.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom