(UK Question) Mifi and Sim Card

Graham9

In the many WDW years we have been going, we have now reached the point where we think it would be handy to bring along our Ipad tablet. But our one is the WiFi version, without a sim card. I know you can buy these mini Wifi to Network adaptors (so-called MiFi) so we can connect to the internet whilst away from a wifi network (I have heard too many times the Disney Wifi is really slow).

My question is, does anyone in the UK have a mifi unit which works in the US...and more importantly, whereabouts is the best place to buy a Sim card, with about 1GB of data (500MB would be the minimum I could use).

My alternative would be to buy a cheap smart phone and use that, but I would want a sim card to be able to use it (one use would be Google Maps when driving around)

steveford

Hi, if you are staying in Disney property you gets free wifi plus within the parks, I'm unsure of other hotels or villas but i take my wifi iPad only as data is so expensive back to the UK. I use FaceTime most mornings to stay in touch.

Upvote 0

Anotherfaceinthecrowd

I have been chatting to my neighbour and last time they went they bought a sim from eBay I think it was Lycra mobile to us in the US they said it was great and only cost about £15 so maybe that's an option. Not sure if you could buy a PAYG in the US with data on that would sort you out while offside

Upvote 0

James J

In the Parks
No
I didn't find the speed of the wi-fi an issue last time I went in 2013, and was able to FaceTime back home with no problem at all. Has it got worse since then?

Upvote 0

JeffBostock

I didn't find the speed of the wi-fi an issue last time I went in 2013, and was able to FaceTime back home with no problem at all. Has it got worse since then?

In today's world of Fastpass Plus a majority of guests are using the MDE app to check/amend their ressies. As a result, the wifi in the parks has been a huge issue lately. On a busy day (which lately has been pretty much everyday) you will definitely have issues using Disney's wifi in the parks. At the resorts, I'm sure there isn't an issue (can't say for sure as I typically stay off site and my dad lives within driving distance to WDW).

So guess it just depends on where the OP plans on using the iPad. In the parks, using a MiFi or a smartphone as a hotspot for the iPad would be recommended. Because what frequently happens nowadays in the parks on the MDE app while using Disney's wifi is that you get an error message when trying to do something on it. Sure if you keep trying over and over again, eventually it will work at certain moments, but it is a less than magical experience. More often than not I have encountered error messages on the app using Disney's wifi.

But if I switch off wifi and connect to my mobile phone provider's internet, it will work more often. I have Verizon. Also recently Disney and AT&T have developed a relationship so AT&T now has improved service at WDW. It's always good to have an alternate source for internet service while at the park now that MDE is in full effect. In 2013, this was not the case.

I would suggest purchasing a used MiFi on eBay from an American seller where you know it will work on either Verizon or AT&T's network. Both companies offer pay as you go services where they should not require an American social security number or do a credit check. Then go to one of their stores to get a SIM card and to get it activated once you get to Orlando. Any other service provider is probably OK in the parks as well, I just know that Verizon and AT&T definitely have good coverage there which means faster Internet speeds. Also, be sure the MiFi is 4G and not 3G. Not sure why people are still selling 3G MiFi's on eBay as they are now ancient, but there are plenty up there for sale.

Upvote 0

dreamfinder

If you don't already have a mifi, you can get them pretty cheap through some of the US prepaid carriers. Boost Mobile sells them for $50, and $50 gets you 10GB data for instance, I'm sure others are similar. A phone would be about the same, maybe less. Figure $50-$90 for the phone, maybe an activation fee, and then $30-50 for an unlimited plan.

That said, I haven't noticed any real issues when using the Disney WiFi. Both my DW and I have done work, post-grad course work, as well as FaceTime/picture upload using the Disney WiFi with minimal issues. It may not be the fastest thing out there, but neither will most of the pre-paid cell networks either.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom