UCF releases historical documents on Walt Disney World

napnet

Original Poster
I think the link is supposed to be http://buzz.lib.ucf.edu/ but i cant get it to work.

Documents that shed light on the development of Walt Disney World and other theme parks across the country are available to the general public online through the University of Central Florida's Web site.

Students and the general public will have access to about 150 of 1,000 documents that were donated by Harrison "Buzz" Price to UCF. Price is an economic consultant who was instrumental in the logistical planning of Disneyland and Walt Disney World.

The documents include feasibility and economic impact studies of several major attractions.

Scott Lee, an adjunct professor at the Rosen College of Hospitality Management at UCF, says the documents are invaluable for teaching students who are studying tourism and hospitality. Lee says he uses the documents in courses he teaches on how to develop a product for the market, theme parks and attractions.

The papers include an economic impact report on the then-proposed Walt Disney World and a feasibility study of River Walk in San Antonio, Texas.

Also among the documents are feasibility reports for attractions that were proposed, but abandoned after their analysis, including Fukuoka Sea Life Park in Japan, a theme park in Mexico City and Undersea World in Phoenix, Ariz.

Links to the documents can be accessed online at www.ucf.edu.

http://orlando.bizjournals.com/orlando/stories/2006/05/15/daily29.html?jst=b_ln_hl

PencilTest

Hmmm...I used the little search box on the UCF website. I tried "Disney", "Buzz", and "Harrison", all three of which brought up links to the papers. Unfortunately, those links are dead. So if anyone gets this to work, let us know. I'd be interested to see some of those.

banimall

On a separate but slightly related note, since I can't post new threads, on A&E tonight on Modern Marvels (9EST) they're showcasing Disney World. Looks to be interesting, not sure if it is a repeat.

napnet

Original Poster
banimall said:
On a separate but slightly related note, since I can't post new threads, on A&E tonight on Modern Marvels (9EST) they're showcasing Disney World. Looks to be interesting, not sure if it is a repeat.

Yeah its a repeat but one of the best ones... i still have it on the Tivo from when it originally was on

jmaxwell007 said:
i cant either....... napnet, your such a tease. haha

:D

Haha, I was excited when i saw this but now im depressed since i cant see it! Yah know i love the history stuff.

napnet

Original Poster
According to the Orlando Sentinel, the site should be up this weekend... looks like i'm gonna have some good reading over the weekend!

brkgnews

The page is finally up!

http://buzz.lib.ucf.edu

Two caveats...
1) You have to register with personal info to view the documents.
2) So far, I've only found like five documents remotely having to do with Disney. Maybe they'll add more?

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
So far, all I see are economic impact surveys.

These tend to be quite tedious.

I'll report back when I get through reading.

bassman

neither can i get to the documents.
oh well is probably the media trying to bring disney down again.

BTW jmaxwell007.where or how did you get your avatar pic,its so cool

brkgnews

Sigh... a lot of the good stuff is B or C.

But a lot is also unmarked (meaning it should be available now), but apparently aren't all online. So, pack your bags and head to UCF to see them!

napnet

Original Poster
I guess i know where I am going to visit in a few weeks... i wonder how hard it is to see this in person

brkgnews

napnet said:
I guess i know where I am going to visit in a few weeks... i wonder how hard it is to see this in person
Info should be there on that master listing page I linked to.

Keep in mind, some of them are still embargoed for a few years.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom